Aloha!

Monday, February 15, 2010

Big Island Swimming...

Forgive me if you read West Hawaii Today and already saw THE NEWS of all news! Forgive me if you already saw the photos on FB... BUT BIG ISLAND SWIMMING is on top, whooooop whoooooop! Today was the celebration swim, forget that pool, it's all about the ocean baby!
Kona Aquatics is the West Side of the islands huge swim team. I think it's mostly this big because we all love Coach Steve so much, he is really an amazing coach/person. Our team is made up of swimmers of all ages and speeds. Pretty much the first day you show up on deck Coach Steve looks at you, throws you in a lane, and adopts you as family within the Kona Aquatics team. I know even during my worst pregnancy moments, morning sickness and all I never missed. When I have hard days in life you better believe I know those lane mates of mine will shake me out of it all. I started the team "floating" at best and now I swim...Steve can do that for you. I remember drowning in my personal life a few years ago and that team got me floating and swimming again... it's unreal...
Check this out, Kealakehe High (made up of Kona Aquatics high school swimmers) WON the State Champs this weekend! I'm not even kidding! 7 girls from the little town of Kona swam totally by heart, the way Coach teaches us all to swim and live. By heart. Miraculously they out swam HUGE teams of girls from the schools that have entire pools to practice in (Kealakehe has to share 4 lanes at most), with less funding, and sometimes lack of support. This little team dug so deep and won the entire show. Winning is a big deal but get this... it was the first time in the Kealakehe High HISTORY that any team of any sport won a State Title (all islands included). Talk about Kona pride baby! Way TO GO Coach Steve and Kealakehe girls!!
Coach Steve and the State Champs during this mornings ocean swim... no pool needed!!
And of course the masters swimmers....Coach has his hands totally full with us! This my friends is Big Island Swimming at it's best, the team, the coach, the ocean & pool we swim in, all of it is pure joy!
Congrats, congrats, congrats again Coach and Waveriders!!



11 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

My Coach, Ashley, from Nashville, TN had a blast swimming with you guys a few weeks back. Raved about how great and fun it was...Love the pics.

Congrats to the girls!

February 16, 2010 at 1:21 AM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

congratulations to them!!!!

Fantastic.

And stunning pictures.

February 16, 2010 at 3:23 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Congrats to the swim team!

February 16, 2010 at 4:24 AM

 
Blogger Melissa said...

Congratulations to the swim team! That is such an accomplishment!!!! I love stories like this, and amazing coaches like Coach Steve! They make such a difference in swimmer's lives, outside of the pool too :-)

February 16, 2010 at 6:02 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Awesome job for the Kealakehe Girls! You look like you are all having so much fun. I could go swim laps today in the sunshine, but it is still 47 degrees out and I would be all by my lonesome. Totally no fun.

February 16, 2010 at 7:31 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Sorry to hear about your ticket a few posts back..... but you know what?...serves you criminals well!! :) just kidding.
Here in Tampa, they now have cameras on stop lights and if you stop at the light and are beyond the white line, you get a ticket in the mail.... sweet, huh??

February 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM

 
Blogger Christy said...

Congratulations to you all! Looks beautiful there! I admit being jealous of the fun as I'd love to learn ocean swimming, I think?!? Sighting-quite a challenge, huh? Oh, please keep your dolphin and sea life pix coming. Makes me smile.

February 16, 2010 at 1:04 PM

 
Blogger Christy said...

Congratulations to you all! Looks beautiful there! I admit being jealous of the fun as I'd love to learn ocean swimming, I think?!? Sighting-quite a challenge, huh? Oh, please keep your dolphin and sea life pix coming. Makes me smile.

February 16, 2010 at 1:04 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Congratulations to Steve, this is the culmination of many years of effects. Hopefully the powers above will take note and consider the need for more pools in the Kona area, so that the community can be properly served.

February 16, 2010 at 6:29 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

What wonderful news and the joy that you all feel just jumps off the monitor!

February 18, 2010 at 12:14 PM

 
Blogger luky begum said...

This is such an interesting blog. You are very knowledgeable about this subject. Please check out my site.
Toddler swim lessons

April 14, 2014 at 11:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home