Aloha!

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Just Breathe...

Just breathe... I don't suggest dumpster diving to get a fresh breath, I was looking for my keys that I tossed out with the trash & Nick happened to enjoy the entertainment without offering to help. But really, just breathe...
.
My sister tells me everyday to "Just Breathe Bree", she calls to remind me, texts to remind me, even wrote it on the top tube of my bike to remind me. Often I mistake "breathing" as "living" and I fill each day with a million mini moments of whatever can jam pack itself into that spot in my life. Makes me feel really alive...
.
During this afternoons "jam packed post swim/ride mini adventure" I ran into my friend Bobi. She told me she saw the strangest thing yesterday, she saw me standing on the side of the road. Just standing still, in one spot, not running, not walking, talking to nobody. Just standing. She went on to tell me it was the first time ever in our friendship I didn't look like I was doing anything at all. Just being still. She must have caught me at the only still moment in my yesterday, waiting for my sister to pick me up.
.
After hearing her a reality check happened...I'm really bad at being still, at "just breathing". Today's plate was another fully loaded one but I dropped it all and sat next to the water, doing nothing. Not reading, writing, talking, thinking, looking, waiting for nothing, just laid there motionless in my mind and body...just breathing...
.
Today is 62 days till Ironman. It's really no wonder those LONG days racing often feel so LONG, lovable but LONG. I can't even breathe still for 5 minutes! There must be a healthy balance between "live it up" and "be still", for now that's going to become my "just breathe" moments, the spot between where you are alive but you are simply breathing.

At the waters edge I discovered so much when I let it all go...

I discovered just how much I really love when the sun kisses my skin on a sunny day, the chats with my mom, the canoes during this mornings swim, his smile, when Kainoa tells me he loves me, yellow plumerias coming into bloom, the old man splashing in the water as if he were a child again, the stars that promise to pop out tonight, those little text messages from Brooke reminding me to "just breathe", the excitement of knowing tomorrow is a local race and I get to play. I discovered that sometimes it really is okay to just be still, breathe, and trust that life will still go on even if you take a small break...

.Just Breathe...

.




9 Comments:

Blogger Laura Vedeen said...

Bree your posts are so real, inspirational, and entertaining - thanks!! Many of us miss out on life's beautiful quiet moments b/c we are busy stressing and worrying - sometimes we gotta look at the big picture :) Just breathe and enjoy every minute of your exciting journey, no matter how hectic or chill, to Day 62 :)

February 20, 2010 at 6:40 PM

 
Blogger Shannon said...

I really like your writing and very much enjoy reading your blog. It gives me a very interesting perspective on life. You seem to live it to the fullest. Thanks for sharing.

February 20, 2010 at 9:27 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

That dumpster diving pic is a classic - hope you found your keys!

Ah yes, it's often harder to sit still than run around but the reward is sweet. A balance of both is the ultimate. Go Bree!

February 21, 2010 at 5:33 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Learn from the turtle, Bree! He's not in a hurry, but he still swims with great efficiency and quite fast, too.

February 21, 2010 at 5:56 AM

 
Blogger Caratunk Girl said...

Love your posts Bree. Also if it makes you feel better, I once flushed my keys down the toilet of a McDonalds...no diving after them babies! :)
You are awesome, keep it up!
Cheers,
Mandy

February 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

One word. Ha.

February 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM

 
Blogger Christi said...

I think I could use some of your "just breathe" advice. I am not very good at sitting still either. FYI, the bikini ski pics are up! Thanks so much for your help!

February 21, 2010 at 4:27 PM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

I love the picture of the sea turtle.

Sometimes the mental training is just as important as the physical training. Learning to be quiet in a busy world is not easy when there are cell phones that buzz, beep, and chime at us for different reasons; children that need our attention to show us the most amazing rock; and trainings that need to get done.

February 21, 2010 at 6:13 PM

 
Blogger margaret said...

Appreciate your blogs... as you countdown to the Ironman.THANKS. MW see my reference to your blog on my blogsite; margaretwille.com

February 21, 2010 at 9:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home