Aloha!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Wrapping Up The Weekend....

Baby, wedding, Lavaman, PAU. The weekend has now come to an end as the stars are fully overhead and the moon is up. Fully loaded with good friends, lots of new loves (like the baby and the happy bride and groom), some racing, and finally bikini's on beach towels under palm trees! Breathe. Just breathe.... now all I got on my mind is Ironman South Africa. Those big events (totally life changing for those involved) have sort of taken front row...but now...laser focus!
.
I'd be lying if I said I didn't care about Lavaman Triathlon and it was just another day at the beach on a bike with some run shoes and a Splish. For me it was a day to brush off cob webs from the "off sort of season", enjoy racing in a low stress environment, and just see whats up with my tri-self during the IM training block.
.
The swim was fantastic as I finally didn't swim alone. Knowing a couple of the best open water swimmers (like Flannigan) were in the mix it was certain to be scary with all the other guys trying to hold his feet. Thankfully I got to swim with Cotter and Jens and even get my best swim time for that distance. Saw no fish, no reef, no nothing.... just didn't want to swim solo so I looked at feet....yeah, not as fun to look at... The bike was a mix of some head wind, some tail wind, some cross wind, some wind doing that weird thing where you don't know where it is coming from, and no wind (I think it stopped swirling for a minute or more). At one point though it did this weird cross wind thing that made me think I had a flat tire so I stopped at the top of Scenics to check it out. Thankfully it was not flat, just my wheels rubbing into the break pads (note to self: open break pads all the way when using Zipps). Back on the bike and all smiles not having to change a flat.
.
It was clear to me I had all the long distance miles I could ever want in my legs at this point because I felt strong like I could ride all day long, like 112 miles in South Africa long. As for speedy, well, it never felt "fast" but I know that will come later, for now it's all about going long and I felt long strong today on the bike.

The run...let's just say the Lavaman run course is my favorite run loop of all races (this one and the Lavaman in September too). It is so much fun you can't help but smile. BIG goofy smiles! Usually for me the lava and the coral trip me up, I'm very far from the worlds best off-road runner to be honest. This year it wasn't as much the terrain, nor pacing or nutrition...I lost my breath. Really. It was nothing I ever felt running in my life. Seriously it was horrible and I don't know what it was but I could not get my breath. In high school I had a minor case of asthma (runs on my dads side), but I out grew it and refuse to think it's looking for me... I really think I got too excited, maybe a little anxious and just forgot to breathe. It pretty much sucked, I even walked in a 10k to get a breath then Dusty the man on the bike watching out for the runners had to ride next to me to make sure I stayed upright until I got my breathing under control. It would have been a little embarrassing but I know Dusty well and he was super supportive at that point....

Of course seeing a finish line and some of the people I care about most when I crossed the line was also very welcoming. I'm really happy with where my swim, bike, and run fitness is at this (almost Ironman South Africa) point. Things are smoothing along well and now that the all the busy big events have taken place I'm ready to just keep pressing on to smoooooooooth them out a bit more until the big day. As for Kainoa, I think the weekend hit him pretty good too: see below!



I'd really like to thank my family, Kainoa, friends, training partners, Coach Jimmy, Coach Steve, The MAN-ager, and of course my sponsors: Trakkers, KSwiss, Argon 18, Cerasport, Splish, Johnson Blanton, Bike Works, Healing Island Massage, and Kona Community for making this all possible for me in all the ways you do! LOTS of love lavished on you all!! AND of course....Gerry Rott and the amazing volunteers and race staff of the Lavaman Triathlon BIG HUGE MAHALO for another fun day at the beach!
Of course getting lei'd at the end of this weekend is worth celebrating too! I'm not sure I could jam another big event into a single weekend if I tried...take that back, I think I could. OH.... forgot to congratulate the champ, Chris McCormack, thanks for racing on the Big Island today, you drive the wahine wild and have all the men chasing you too....nice race! Okay, my pillows are calling and the stars in the sky have me ready for some sleeping!!
Good NIGHT from Kona... and thanks for the photos Randy Wrighthouse & Kelly Lewi!
Bree.
.



24 Comments:

Blogger Go Gammie said...

Bree!!! Seeing you at the pier the other morning I noticed how "even more fit" you are looking. Today you proved that by standing on top of the podium in first place!! I am so glad for you and happy to see you are still inspiring so many people. Countdown begins for your Ironman South Africa, and your next great finish!! You Rock!!

March 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

Congrats, Bree!! That's a great way to start of the season. You better get used to being up on the podium. You need to see it, sister!!

March 29, 2010 at 2:45 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Congratulations on your race!

I have asthma and I have lost my breath at a race and it sucks. Literally and figuratively, lol. I had it happen at Cozumel on the start of the fisrt loop running out of transition. The best thing to do is to just slow down for a bit, but that sucks as well.

What a weekend!

March 29, 2010 at 2:53 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Great job Bree! You totally rocked out on the course!

March 29, 2010 at 3:09 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Love that photo of you running on the lava. It says it all. Great job. Looking forward to being back in Kona next month!

March 29, 2010 at 3:31 AM

 
Blogger Alex said...

You are so inspiring!!

March 29, 2010 at 3:37 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Congrats on your win Bree!! And surviving all the other weekend's events! Love the smiles in your pictures!! :)

March 29, 2010 at 4:42 AM

 
Blogger Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on your win!! I heard many great stories of this years race

March 29, 2010 at 5:16 AM

 
Blogger Caroline said...

Nice race Bree! The Lavaman events look so much fun. Would love to get out there in Sept or next year!
And congratulations to you and your sister on the arrival of little Whistler :)

March 29, 2010 at 5:40 AM

 
Blogger Caratunk Girl said...

I love love love the picture of Kainoa sleeping. Big weekend, congrats all around.

March 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Woohoo - Love the weekend about "LOVE"! Great pics and the BEST seeing your little Dude at the finish line with you. HUGE Congrats SUPER STAR!

March 29, 2010 at 10:37 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Congrats, Bree! Truly inspiring! :)

March 29, 2010 at 10:39 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Wow!! Congrats on the first place finish. I swear, after seeing that photo of you running (read: muscles), if I didn't love men, I would be writing you a love letter! You look fabulous!

You have had quite the weekend young lady, rest is deserved.

March 29, 2010 at 11:10 AM

 
Blogger Yasi said...

Great job on the race Bree, lookin' good!

March 29, 2010 at 1:20 PM

 
Blogger Libby said...

congrats bree!! so awesome and congrats on being and auntie as well, he is BEAUTIFUL!!! what a fantastic weekend. excited to cheer you on from afar for south africa, you are going to rock it! you look great on the argon, SWEET ride!! and awards from macca as well? what a weekend!

March 29, 2010 at 3:13 PM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

congrats and good luck in South Africa.

Also I was looking through my camera the other day and I have of you an lisa on there from rev 3

March 29, 2010 at 4:03 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

That's a doozy of a weekend Bree! Glad you had fun and hope the breath thing is just a one off. Love the pic of Kainoa sleeping it all off.

March 29, 2010 at 5:33 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Great race report, thanks. I hope you will train well for SA. Not just getting the miles in, but getting plenty of rest, etc. and not being caught up in a lot of other activities. Be focused on one thing - winning. It will cost you everything, but it will be worth it.

March 30, 2010 at 7:10 AM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

woooooooooooowwww!!!! muy bien muy bien !!!! GREAT !!! :DDDDDDDDD

Me alegro mucho, sensacional carrera amiga !! fotos OK !!
besos!

March 30, 2010 at 9:27 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

You may not feel speedy yet, but your legs sure look fast. You are ripped girl!

March 30, 2010 at 2:02 PM

 
Blogger Stephen said...

Bree,

Great race this weekend-- wish you much more success this year.

From the "One Lucky Guy" runner

March 30, 2010 at 6:00 PM

 
Blogger Randy said...

Smile on the run course? I was doing anything but. Great job Bree. I told you that you were going to win.

March 30, 2010 at 10:32 PM

 
Blogger Lindsay Cotter said...

Great race! Hope you found your phone and good luck in South Africa. Cheers!
LC

April 1, 2010 at 8:30 AM

 
Blogger doubleA injobs said...

Thousands of the peoples Search Online Jobs from home and Every people Different type of Jobs, Here is a Best online jobs from home just like Copy Pasting, Data Entry, Clicking Jobs, Article Sharing, Data Sharing, Website Clicking, Facebook Jobs, Marketing Jobs, Google Jobs and Much More Online Works
JobzCorner.Com

April 27, 2013 at 6:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home