Aloha!

Monday, April 26, 2010

Kona Bound...

I saw South Africa with my heart, mind, and eyes wide open...a dream I got to experience all because coach said yes to Ironman South Africa. My back pocket is filled with a ton more moments that will last a lifetime, enrich this cool world we live in, and makes me even more, me. Moments do that, they change us, and this one added a lot to who I already am. Maybe it was the fact I packed too many clothes that only arrived in time to wear half of them, if that. Maybe it was all the hands reached out to grab mine and befriend a new person from somewhere far. Maybe it was because I was living in the Lion King movie for a little while...
Woke up to my last sunrise and spent my morning thinking about my race. Not bad thoughts, mostly good ones. It was a big push to come so far with so few days pre race and even though I was kindly warned that perhaps Ironman St. George or something closer to home would be better for me, and knee deep into the run I understood, I wouldnt change the fact we chose this one, I will never look back with regrets.
.
Coach greated me with our next Ironman this morning, closer to home. Like 6 hours away. As soon as I saw it I said to myself, "WOW, thats nearly the same race date as Ironman Japan, hmmmm, maybe I can convince him to let me return to Japan (I loved that race), even though it would be another long adventure". But I already know, this is my dream job and sometimes that means going to an office with a view that the boss thinks will be better suited for you. So...the next Ironman is in the plans and I am thrilled about it, I love Iron distance racing and believe with all my heart that you can only make so many mistakes and learn so many lessons before you finally figure it out.

Alright Africa, time to get on that plane. Having some red Ruby slippers like Dorthy in the Wizard of Oz would be really cool right now, a few clicks, there is no place like home, and I could be home... 46 hours of travel...here I come!!
.
Oh, and before I forget, which I never would because I appreciate you more than you know, THANK YOU to Trakkers, Argon 18, KSWISS, Splish, Bike Works, Johnson Blanton, Healing Island Massage, Cera Sport, Coach Jimmy, Coach Steve, Travis Blanton, Kona Aquatics, my son, the amazing family, friends, and training partners I've been blessed with! This race & life experience was only made possible thanks to you!
Bree



15 Comments:

Blogger Caratunk Girl said...

Safe travels Bree!

April 27, 2010 at 1:50 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

I hope you have a safe and quick trip home! I am very excited to hear where you will be racing next!

April 27, 2010 at 3:05 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

What? Not a quick stop in St George on your way back. LOL
I will keep your thoughts in mind this weekend... " I like doing Ironman distance, I like doing IM, I like doing IM, I like doing IM.... hmmm (it's beginning to work)... I like doing IM, I like doing IM"

April 27, 2010 at 6:00 AM

 
OpenID Fred Williams said...

Great post! And awesome pictures! I must say whenever I take the time to stop by your blog I always leave with a sense of gratitude and awe.

April 27, 2010 at 6:27 AM

 
Blogger mauisurfchick said...

DUDE!!!!! I feel like a total "Blog Stalker", but I cant help it! Reading your blog and FB posts and seeing your pictures from SA are like reading a good book or watching a movie you dont want to end because it's just that good! I have had the dream of going to SA for at least 13-14 years. After living vicariously through you for the last week, I am definately IN for 2011 IMSA!!! Thank you for being such an amazingly inspirational athlete/woman/mom/human being. You got it all girl and I think our sport is extremely lucky to have such a cool chick!
Thanks again,
Kerry

April 27, 2010 at 6:29 AM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

Looking forward to hearing all about your next race.

Hoping that your luggage and bike make it back home the same time that you do.

April 27, 2010 at 6:41 AM

 
Blogger Nat said...

Bree,

Congrats on your race in SA! I'm glad you enjoyed your journey so much. Does this next IM only 6 hours from home happen to be in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho in June? That's right in our backyard!

April 27, 2010 at 6:51 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

6hrs from K-town, near IM Japan date... I am guessing IM CDA as well? You DO like wetsuit swims!!

Cheers to being you Breezer. Safe travels (and less of it next time).

April 27, 2010 at 7:18 AM

 
Blogger Jenna said...

I love learning from you and your reflections :) Sorry your legs let you down - great job on the focus front. Another lesson learned for another day. Continue to do it like only you can - totally from the heart!!!

April 27, 2010 at 7:28 AM

 
Blogger pedalpower said...

Good for you...living your dream! You are an inspiration.

April 27, 2010 at 8:28 AM

 
Blogger Libby said...

safe travels and congrats on your race! you are an inspiration, seriously. smashing bike split and despite not having the perfect run, you keep such a good attitude and perspective. you learn from it to make you better. and that's what makes you the amazing athlete you are! congrats on your race and on your journey to another cool place in the world!!

April 27, 2010 at 12:41 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Glad you are on your way home!

April 27, 2010 at 1:32 PM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

You certainly have an amazing job, Bree! Simply amazing! Big congrats on your finish in SA. I had a lot of fun watching the streaming video online... wishing that I somewhere as cool. :o) Safe travels home to Kona-land. Very excited to read all about your next race.

April 28, 2010 at 1:19 AM

 
Blogger Kate said...

Thanks so much for answering my question about the kswiss shoes and for checking out fit-ink.com (hope you liked it). safe travels back to kona and is CDA now on the sched?

kate :)

April 28, 2010 at 8:53 AM

 
Blogger Wes said...

Hi Bree! I just read your race report. Brick legs or not, you are always a ROCK STAR! Safe travels back. If I find your "good run" in my portfolio, I will send it back to you after the Half Rev3 in Knoxville!

:-)

April 28, 2010 at 10:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home