Aloha!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Looking For Zebra's...

I’m on the plane to Africa, a total dream come true, an opportunity I will not let escape me, a life adventure I am sure will impact my most wild heart. Not even an hour into the trip and my heart is exploding with excitement of the unknown that I’m about to soak up. I called Kainoa one last time while the plane was pulling onto the runway. He was outside with the grandparents running barefoot. Free as can be enjoying his life. Hearing that was the freedom I needed to set off on this trip, knowing he is in wonderful hands, totally adored.

Loading on the plane I took a final look around at the palm trees and the lava rocks that still amaze me. The Kona breeze was so hot and thick, it trickled through my veins as if filling them full enough to run with me all the way to Africa and back. One more deep breath in and I was ready, a smile on my face and peace in my heart. It was the courage I needed to step on the plane, a girl on her way to the other side of the world.

You know why I’m so crazy about Hawaii and my life here? Why each time I leave I get a little teary eyed? An instant answer, it’s a dream come true. When I was 17 I got this dream to be here and live forever, or until I die, whatever came first. Senior year I applied to just about every college in the state and after a handful of rejection letters, (thanks to my awesome High School GPA and skipping more school to surf than actually being in class), I felt my heart sink. It was the first time in my 17 years of life any of my dreams actually saw a “no” and I had to wait. I remember laying in my bed kicking and screaming like a 2 year old with a bad temper tantrum just not understanding how wanting something so bad could ever result in a “no”. I yelled and screamed every cuss word I knew to God, telling Him He ruined my life and messed up my future. After a couple months of teenage misbehavior and pulling my junk together I dove back into other college plans and tucked my Hawaii dream deep in my heart, for a later date… A lesson in patience possibly, it was my Veruca Salt moment. You know, Willy Wanka and the Chocolate Factory, “I want it NOWWWWWWWW”…that was me.

This Veruca spent 4.5 years at college on the East Coast and a language school in Costa Rica. Each day I pretended to be in college in Hawaii. The dream lived on. 2 weeks from college graduation I get a phone call, from Hawaii, “Bree, come teach at Kahakai” and 2 weeks after graduation I was on a plane to Hawaii, to a dream come true. My discovery was that our dreams that are real and most wanted don’t just go away when they have invaded your heart, sometimes they just have to live deep within until their turn to come alive. That is why I think I am so crazy about home. It’s something I wanted and waited for even though I never knew how it would happen, I just never stopped believing. So each day, 8 years after being on the island, I still wake up crazy about something as simple as a plumeria in bloom. That explains the desire to capture so many moments on film and share the joy. My dream still captures every part of me to the point not a moment of life on the island is taken for granted. Not even when the vog comes and the bananas are sold out.
So here this girl goes, off to Africa, another dream about to happen… of course I never thought going to Africa would be for an Ironman, as a professional triathlete. And I never thought most the sights I will see will be by bike and foot and swimming… but that’s another story. I’m going to soak all this up and let it make my life that much richer. I feel like such a big girl living out all these dreams. Some of them are taking longer then I want, but maybe that is why when they happen I am so crazy about them to the point of making my face hurt with giant smiles. After this I’ve got just 4 more big ones to live out and a few simple things, like fall asleep in a pile of plumerias and have a hammock on a lanai. Okay, one dream at a time, forgive me for my excitement. I’m now half way to half way around the world. I’ll keep you posted. A camera, journal, a photo of Kainoa, a few notes from friends, everything needed for 140.6 miles of racing, and an open mind is what I’ve packed. Here we go… off to work, (yikes, feel bad calling it that, but it is, thankfully, my job).
.
Thank you to those that have supported my dreams and follow my adventures, I'm taking you along for this crazy ride too,
Love Bree



18 Comments:

Blogger ADC said...

Good luck and have a safe trip. You truly are living the dream.

April 20, 2010 at 1:16 AM

 
Blogger Caratunk Girl said...

Bree, you are awesome. Have a safe trip & have fun. You are going to do awesome!

April 20, 2010 at 1:21 AM

 
Blogger Lynn said...

I always read your blog for inspiration. Used to dream the same dream about living in Hawaii. Traveled there twice now and LOVED it both times. Not to be for me living there, but Chicago ain't so bad either. Well....maybe in January! Ha!

God bless you in your African adventure! Have fun!

April 20, 2010 at 1:33 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

What a beautiful life for such a beautiful soul. Safe travels, Bree! Soon, you'll be playing under the African sky!

April 20, 2010 at 1:55 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

I am looking forward to this ride with you. Thanks so much for sharing!

April 20, 2010 at 2:52 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Have SO SO SO much fun and fast racing! You really are a lucky girl and so blessed to be wise enough to appreciate it and be thankful for it.

Looking forward to seeing you in June.

April 20, 2010 at 3:44 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

The more dreams you have the more dreams that come true....keep dreaming and believing!


Go Bree!

tn

April 20, 2010 at 6:19 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Bree, you motivate me to live my dream!

April 20, 2010 at 8:21 AM

 
Blogger Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

What a beautiful post!
Good luck - and have fun :)

April 20, 2010 at 12:20 PM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Good luck on your African Tri! How exciting!! I love reading your blogs... and I have the same dream about Hawaii, as I've grown up in Chicago my whole life. Thanks for inspiring us to live life to the fullest and to keep dreaming! :) What a beautiful little world you live in!! Have a fun trip!

April 20, 2010 at 1:47 PM

 
Blogger Damie said...

Good luck Bree! You know we will be cheering for you!!

April 20, 2010 at 3:49 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

How exciting! Have a wonderful time in Africa seeing new things and meeting new people. Good Luck with your race this weekend. You will do awesome!

April 21, 2010 at 3:12 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Ohhhh Bree, I LOVE that bikini!! SAFE TRAVELS. No race acclimating (weather wise)needed for you living where you do.
SEND PICS SOON.

April 21, 2010 at 3:35 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

HEY! No pics BY YOU during the race... OK??

I'll be thinking of you while working St Anthony's this weekend. Won't be the same with no one to shoot in transition...

Maikaʻi Pomaikaʻi! this weekend!!

April 21, 2010 at 3:44 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

So glad you dream so big and share your dreams. Love watching your dreams come true. Live it up. Race it up.

April 21, 2010 at 5:49 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

I don't know why but this blog made me all teary-eyed. I just love seeing people reach their dreams and goals and never getting up. What an inspiration. I dream that Karel and I can come visit you in hawaii SOON!
-marn

April 21, 2010 at 10:13 AM

 
Blogger Nibbles said...

Bree,

I think this is your best post yet! I just loved it! I'll be thinking of you all day Sunday.
Christy J.

April 21, 2010 at 11:11 AM

 
Blogger Shannon said...

You are, amongst other things, the Queen of Manifesting. Thanks for sharing and insiring others, like me!!

April 24, 2010 at 4:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home