Aloha!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wanted: Argon18 Size XS (Please).

MADE IT! Not my bike or bags, just me. Finally here and so far it is well worth the hop-skip-jump that I had to take to get here! After landing all I wanted to do was get outside and see what my eyes could find, breathe in some fresh air, and feel the feeling of Africa all over me. Coach told me to run, lets just say I ran, what I ran in does not matter, (remember I have no luggage, only a bikini that goes everywhere I go-it was in the carry on). That doesn't matter, I got to run and it was incredible! When I turned back I was given the most amazing view of the sun wanting to set yet wanting to stay in the sky long enough to get me home by sunlight. Living in a dream, living in a dream...
Getting here started wonderful, the local boys in Kona let my bike and bag fly free (thanks for the $300 savings boys!), however, the bags got lost in California and I got lost in NJ. Yes, I landed in NJ and my flight to Africa was out of NY so I ended up taking a road trip over the Hudson River to the NY airport. The man that drove me was kind enough to shuttle me near the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty-however it was more traffic than I have EVER seen EVER in my life EVER and it landed me face first in a barf bag! Poor shuttle man didn't know how to help so he offers me a cigarette, just what I wanted, NOT!
.
From there it was a 15 hour flight that included an emergency landing in some small town in Africa, we were running (fast) out of gas. Peeking out the window, my first views of the country were exactly as I envisioned. They were right out of a children's book full of safari land and miles of untouched trees. Beautiful. I have no idea what town that was, it was an emergency and quick stop, then back up in the sky to Johannesburg. From there I missed my connection to Port Elizabeth and the 36 hour trip turned to 43 hours. I have been in the same clothes for 3 days...travel at its finest.
Like I said, all the travel stories are worth it to finally land in this beautiful place. However, I would really love to see my luggage and bike soon. Its almost Thursday here in Africa and today and tomorrow I will remain as calm as can be about the bike...after that I'm looking for back ups because I didn't come all this way to be a cheer leader, I want to race! I've gotten to scout out the run course and swim loops and let me tell you, this is one amazing race course that I simply must get my hands on.
As for the laundry, all I have is the green hibiscus Roxy bikini and the clothes on my back, that are now hanging to dry. The sink became my laundry machine tonight...ha ha. No worries, it's Africa, I caught people naked in the ocean tonight so I'm sure anything goes, right? Okay, bed time....good night from Africa (I've been waiting weeks to say that)....
.
Bree



18 Comments:

Blogger Love and Puppies, Christy said...

I hope your luggage makes it safely! I'm thinking of you!

April 21, 2010 at 7:50 AM

 
Blogger miles99999 said...

I am sure that your bike and luggage will turn up before the race. Good luck and enjoy your trip! Hope you kick ass on Sunday.

April 21, 2010 at 8:13 AM

 
Blogger Caratunk Girl said...

Glad you made it there safely, that sounds like quite a trip - planes, trains, automobiles! I am sure it is super stressful to not have all of your stuff there with you, but it is going to show up. AND you are going to rock it on Sunday!! WOOT

April 21, 2010 at 8:18 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

I am sorry to hear about your luggage. I will be sending positive thoughts that it gets to you soon!

April 21, 2010 at 8:38 AM

 
Blogger Slow Rider said...

Relax as much as possible, sounds like your trip there was memorable. Crush it Sunday,Feel free to stop by Knoxville on your way home. Rev3 wants you hear!

April 21, 2010 at 9:31 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Good Lord....Travel is such a relaxing treat, eh?

Note to self: Wear multiple pairs of underwear for back up cause luggage WILL get lost. grrrrrrrrr.

April 21, 2010 at 9:39 AM

 
Blogger Jen's World said...

I absolutely love south africa. dont' know if you'll have time but my only regret was not getting in a safari. Hope you gt a chance to do that!

April 21, 2010 at 9:39 AM

 
Blogger tinaparker87 said...

Fingers crossed on the bike and luggage. Good Luck. Sending you lots of positive energy. You are so ready to conquer your goal.

April 21, 2010 at 10:32 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Ah travel, it's always a bumpy process. So glad the emergency landing worked out well. May your luggage and bike find you soon! Cannot wait to read more about the wonders of Africa through your eyes.

April 21, 2010 at 11:57 AM

 
Blogger Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

oh my - what an adventure already. Hope it works out soon!

April 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

when I fly to a wedding, what is in my carry on? The bridesmaid dress and shoes. To the beach? Swim suit! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks like that :) I'm sure all of your stuff will get there soon enough!! Have a great adventure!!

April 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM

 
Blogger Whitney said...

Looks like you ended up with quite the adventure! I hope your bike and luggage makes it there safely and soon. Best wishes!

April 21, 2010 at 5:39 PM

 
Blogger Michelle Simmons said...

You have the best attitude! Have a great race this weekend!!

April 21, 2010 at 7:51 PM

 
Blogger rtfgvb7811a said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................

April 22, 2010 at 12:41 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Praying that your bike and bag make it to you in the next 36 hours. Thanks for the reminder to pack an extra pair of underwear, a clean t-shit and an extra pit-stick in my carry on bag.

Stay happy and keep the pictures coming!

April 22, 2010 at 3:10 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

wow, that stinks. I hope your things make it to you soon. What a trip. I'm glad my fair city caused you to barf, ha!! Now, imagine what it is like to train here! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

PS: Hula girl is off my bike to make room for aero bars :*( I have to find her a new home on there somehow. she is really popular with my cycling group.

April 22, 2010 at 8:43 AM

 
Blogger Laura Wheatley said...

Does ANYTHING test your smile and positive attitude? ;) You rock

April 23, 2010 at 3:01 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

ARRRRGH! Air travel! Glad that all your stuff finally made it. Good luck!

April 23, 2010 at 3:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home