Aloha!

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Just Breathe, Hold Tight, Don't Let Go...

Finally had time to cliff jump today! YEAH RIGHT...I WISH! I jumped in bed for nap is all I had (barely) time for. It's like a training camp around here with a Filipino Asian boy that is kicking my rear into gear! My friend Kiet is training with me, our training goes something like this: Here is my plan from coach, can you do it, all of it with me? And that's the way it goes.

First up was the pukey part of the day. 16x400 with 200 easyish jog between, nonstop, and not harder than the goal pace and not easier (if I'm running slower than the goal I'm too tired and I had to skip it, I don't like skipping, so I made myself make it). Well, actually we didn't make the first one...we were 5:09 pace-too fast, the grass loop and the Garmin were Honu (Hawaii 70.3) training friends today and they kept us honest. Our friend tried to get our photo and we must have been way too fast because she only got an elbow. By the time we got on pace it ended up being my best speed session of the year. I loved the grass loop, finding the pace, making it happen, and holding on tight to the goal...

After the cool down it was ride time...hot and windy. Nothing left to say about that. Then lunch (all I could eat) to try and recover & store up for the swim. Not sure what happened after that, just remember looking at my watch and thinking I had 2 hours till swim, I woke up and had 15 minutes!

Coach Steve let me jump in with the high schoolers, its never easy with them. Kona is home of the fastest youth swimmers in our state. I wanted a floaty, actually I just wanted to survive. The main set was a 4,800 yard IM. Really...as 1200 of each stroke. 200fly drill (no problem), then 200 fly-2x150 fly, 3x100 fly, 4x50 fly. You had to progressively get faster and you COULD NOT do free, must do 2 hand touch on the walls, and no single arm. Oh yes I made it, trying my best to look like a real butterflyer but sometimes looking more like a kid learning to swim...then into the 1200 back stroke. My entire goal was for Keahi to not lap me...back stroke is my slowest stroke and literally I go backwards. The breast stroke no problem, I even got to take the lead. Now my arms are off, my legs sort of remind me of a jelly fish, and my eyeballs want to pop out...but training camp is going AWESOME!

After that, dinner with some friends, bed, then wake up to do it all again! Swim practice with the sun up, then bike all day, and finish with a run. I'm so excited about it...really. Because this feeling of, "Are you serious, one more day, another one, one more training session, how?" Keeps being answered with, "I can do it, hold on, breathe, just hang tight".
.
Night from my favorite place on Earth...home!
Bree



6 Comments:

Blogger TRI-james said...

Awesome training camp! Go get’em!

Just wow!

May 28, 2010 at 3:03 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

You are rockin' the training!

May 28, 2010 at 3:14 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

You have an amazing way of making crazy amounts of training sound so fun! Love it!

May 28, 2010 at 5:10 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

Keep it up Breezer! Crush it

May 28, 2010 at 6:44 AM

 
Blogger Catching up with Jessica said...

Nice! You actually make that sound enticing...I miss hard workouts like that! I'm sure you suffered but you make it sound like great fun! Loving it...you go girl! Baby just kicked...he/she got excited, too!! Goooooooo, Bree!

May 28, 2010 at 1:43 PM

 
Blogger Slow Rider said...

Bree, it all pays off! Makes your mind strong for race day.

May 29, 2010 at 6:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home