Aloha!

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Lovin' On The Reef....

Our beautiful ocean was full of commotion this morning. There were coral sperms all over the place! Oh, don't think I'm getting naughty, this is totally "G" rated, it's a Marine Biology lesson if you will. If you spend enough time in the giant aquarium you could tell the coral was about to get its groove on... it's polyps were swollen.
.
Let me explain...every April-September its an underwater love fest for the coral. We get these beautiful Kona full moons and 2 days after the full moon during these months the coral pretty much turns the lights down low and gives us a show. Sometimes it really is beautiful, like red floating fireworks. Today, not so beautiful.
At 7:25am (roughly 35 minutes before our ocean swim), the coral decided to do it's spawning. That meant you swam through snot like strings of disgusting coral spawning stuff (for lack of better words). It was so gross, we had clumps in our suits, hanging from our hands, and in our mouths. It stunk like dead fish and in that particular area where the action was taking place the visibility was maybe a 2. The fish and turtles were loving it, just eating all the snot like coral stuff. Then the dolphins came for coral breakfast too.
.
I've had 3 showers since the swim and let me tell you, I still stink like a dead fish guts all over me. We've been laughing about it all morning, slightly feeling bad for making fun of the corals love on the reef...

After our bike rides and swims it was time to relax on a cloudy Kona day... off to Kua Bay (a less coral covered beach). Stinking like a dead fish, I am so happy to be back to Kona ocean swims-wetsuit-less blue water, ahhhh... the sweet life. Back on the bike feels really good too. As for the run, I still can't run. Yesterdays run lasted 20 seconds and I cried. The pain is so unbearable, like knives jabbing into me. There is nothing I can do about it, the 47 hour flight home meant more lack of blood circulation and I have to patiently wait for full blood circulation, fatigue, and hydration to get back in my lower legs. It's really sad for me, I want so much to run along the Kona Coast again...soon. Maybe I can aqua jog through the coral spawn tomorrow in place of my "not happening yet" run. ha ha ha, gross....


Take care...get your groove on, coral style!!

Bree




6 Comments:

Blogger Caratunk Girl said...

Ha! I didn't know that coral, um... spewed when it spawned! Eww

May 2, 2010 at 2:56 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

That was a great biology lesson but I think I will let you swim in that mess!

I hope you heal soon!

May 2, 2010 at 4:30 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Is this normal what's going on with your legs?

May 2, 2010 at 10:37 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Hope your legs get feeling better soon. Have you considered getting a lymphatic massage?

P.S. I'm really digging that turtle picture.

May 2, 2010 at 4:46 PM

 
Blogger Nibbles said...

Hey, Bree,

Do compression socks do any good when this happens?

Feel better soon!

CJ

May 3, 2010 at 7:02 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Glad you're home.... sorry you couldn't stop in Utah on the way. IMSG was epic.. but I think you made the right choice. 55F water and island girls dont get along....(or at least that's what Ive heard)

May 3, 2010 at 8:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home