Aloha!

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Hawaii 70.3...PAU!

First of all... thanks to my family, friends, coaches, sponsors/manager, race directors, volunteers, training partners, son, and the Man above for this dream job & race experience....totally made possible all because of you all...
I absolutely love you guys!!
The day was the usual prerace jittery butterflies exploding in my belly, price you have to pay I suppose for sacrificing so much heart and energy, time and life, into training in hopes it all comes down to a good day of racing. The ocean was full of commotion, not waves but a wonderful chop heading North with a tiny current to match. The plan was to swim as if I am swimming in the ocean on any other day of the week, except no stopping to pet any dolphins should they visit. So I swam and felt incredible with a smile on my face to have survived not even noticing anything on the ocean floor. Thanks to the lovely Blue Seventy as well for a first woman out of the water and my lovely swim coach Steve...however, that speedy suit of mine was stolen in T1 (can I please have it back to whoever stole it, I peed in it!)
The bike was super windy all the way up and down and all over the course. After surviving two training days this season where I was blown off my bike I wasn't the least bit nervous, however I was blown into the middle of the road and screamed a cuss word to match my fear (my apologies to whoever I freaked out during that moment of fear). The ride was pretty fun to say the least and thankfully my bike and I stayed upright all 56 miles!
.
Onto the run.... I had a few goals. Number 1, no walking. Number 2, follow coaches pace plan. Let me just tell you, on training runs and run alone races my run goes pretty well most days. In fact I can finally break 3hrs in a stand alone marathon and a 1:20 in a half (a hilly one). But in triathlon the past bunch of races I have gotten it in my head after a handful of setbacks that I struggle to run off the bike, (not to pacing mistakes, mental mistakes). I'd lost complete confidence running off the bike and have walked every single triathlon at some point in the run all last season. Coach is fully aware of the hang ups in my head and has been working to help me believe again, so today, our plan was to not walk and to run off the bike all run long. I'd like to say, with complete joy, this is my 2nd EVER run off the bike in my triathlon career where I did not walk in a half! That in itself was enough to make me feel like I won something. I was crying near the finish knowing I took a punch at the mental demons haunting my run off the bike. I've got a ways to go but its getting better and I'll get there...and that is one of the things I love most about our sport-so MUCH room to improve all the time!
Coach Jimmy, I am so thankful for you.... next mission, to run an entire marathon off the bike! Then get faster at it! Thank you for helping this girl gain back a little confidence in something she is so passionate about...oh, tomorrow at Kukio Challenge, I still plan to beat you by the way, look out for the girl with the bad tan lines!
And of course, all the new faces and people we meet in our sport, I love that too. Chillin' here after the race with Sophie Goos (IM Florida winner last year)... This sport always amazes me with little things like overcoming some sort of obstacle to meeting great people.
Finally, another great reason to race in Hawaii...the men not in speedos or spandex that dance at the end of the race! ha ha, what a fun day! CONGRATS to all who raced! Enjoy some sunshine tomorrow, you totally earned it...and ALL the best to those racing REV3 Quassy & Kansas tomorrow, your up next! Good luck!! Oh, last but not least... to Belinda, congrats on your win... it's an honor to take 2nd to you and that insane fast riding of yours!
Bree.



19 Comments:

Blogger Irongirl said...

Great Blog, great Pics, great Woman!!! thanks for your energy, your love......

June 6, 2010 at 2:32 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Oh, Bree! What a fantastic RR! That smile of yours speaks volumes. I have been struggling with mentally keeping it together for the run, although I am keenly aware of the fact that I 'do' have a pacing problem. It's actually refreshing for me to know that even Pros struggle with "walk" during the iron and that with some extra mental prep (and for me, attention to pacing) that I too, can break through this barrier. I know I will feel like I've won the race that day too! Thank you very much for sharing this.

Again, HUGE congrats on your amazing finish! WOW!!!!

June 6, 2010 at 4:18 AM

 
Blogger Kona-California said...

Congratulations on a great race! You are a true inspiration to the youth of Kona. Keep up the great work!

June 6, 2010 at 6:57 AM

 
Blogger swimfin said...

Bree, you looked amazing coming down the finish line yesterday. I only did the swim ( which was amazing and I was distracted by the sea life on the bottom at the second buoy) because of an injured arm that doesn't allow me to control the bike. Although I wanted to be out there doing the rest of the race, it was fantastic to watch all the great competitors finishing. Everyone had the biggest smiles on their faces. Your whole community was at the finish tracking your progress and so excited that you were doing so well. Great job! You rocked that swim!! Good luck today in the Kukio race.

June 6, 2010 at 7:40 AM

 
Blogger tri-ing races not cases said...

Great race Bree! Will be channelling your thoughts as I face my demons off the bike next weekend at Eagleman. Glad to see you conquered yours and went on to have such an awesome race!

June 6, 2010 at 8:26 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 6, 2010 at 8:36 AM

 
Blogger Robert Lejeune said...

Awesome job on the 2nd place! You are fabulous Bree :)

June 6, 2010 at 8:53 AM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

muy bien amigaaa, un abrazo muy grande!

June 6, 2010 at 10:06 AM

 
Blogger Furacán said...

Awesome! Congratulations Bree!

June 6, 2010 at 10:56 AM

 
Blogger Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

WOW - What an awesome race!!! Congrats!!!

June 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

YEAH awesome work out there!

June 6, 2010 at 3:58 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Congrats Bree! Sounds like an awesome race. And to the fiend who walked off with your wetsuit, karma's gonna get them.

June 6, 2010 at 4:48 PM

 
Blogger Costantino's Blog said...

Congrats Chica! I was so excited for you when I was watching online - you deserve this!

June 7, 2010 at 3:54 AM

 
Blogger Nibbles said...

Congratulations!

June 7, 2010 at 5:20 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

So awesome Bree.. Congrats!!

June 7, 2010 at 8:40 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

It was great to see you and cheer you on while we were both racing. Great race. Thanks for helping make my visit so much fun.

June 7, 2010 at 2:28 PM

 
Blogger Bria said...

Congrats girl!!! I did the race on Sunday as my first 70.3 and only my second tri. We saw you get your award - so cute you had Kainoa with you. I had so much fun even with some bike problems :) Loved your recap - amazing race. I also defeated some mental demons - such an accomplishment!!

June 7, 2010 at 5:37 PM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

CONGRATS Bree!!

So happy to hear you nailed the run like you wanted to. I hope to do that race someday soon too. See you maybe end of this month at the Kona Marathon races?

June 8, 2010 at 2:22 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Wow, impressive. Glad you conquered your running demons. You are having a stellar season. Keep inspiring us!!

June 8, 2010 at 7:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home