Aloha!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Run and Bay........

Growing up momma always said, "run and play now". Yeah story of my life, get outside and play. This weekend is similar.... run and bay. Saturday was a run, then a bay. Sunday was a really long run, then a bay. It was work then play (in the bay). Or work n' recover in my case. We hit up the bay that requires a 2 mile walk, hidden under palms, tucked between lava rock walls, and sprinkled with black sand and only our little crew...
.
I'm a very big fan of secluded beaches shared with coconuts and sea shells, even if it requires a 2 mile hike to find such a sweet spot. Thankfully Kainoa can manage himself, in slippers or bare feet by the way, what an island boy :)

While Kainoa played with the honu & collected opihi my eyes caught up on the latest surf mag, just can't resist the juicy waves, surf trunks, and locations that these wave riders venture too. Of course my head was filled with running thoughts and the next triathlon, but for now-a little balance was in order and a little bay time with a 4 year old.


Sunday's run was a lot more focus filled then Saturday. It was super long and super important to me. No training partners, no IPOD, nothing but the run shoes and my brain. It was a day to practice keeping the focus throughout the highs and lows that accompany a long run. There were only 2 times my brain wanted to space and I was missing my tunes. It was then that I had to seek out a plan of action to regroup, so I tried to figure out what works for me........it was looking around. Really. I found that when I let go of how I am feeling and what my legs are doing and just let the places I'm running near entertain me I can fade out the "ouch, ugh, blah, tired" emotions. Long time ago I was told that what you focus on grows, so if I didn't focus on my legs I forgot about them... it was at this point I discovered I was cruising along strong with just the sights I was seeing. Hope this continues to work because today it did.
.
After the long run breakfast it was back to another bay, a way more crowded one, yet the same lovely ocean that I called my salt bath. What a good run and bay weekend, still phone-less made it even better I must confess. Tomorrow mornings wake-up call will be swim practice then a road trip to Hilo where I get to work with one of the greatest sports psychologists at our university. I'm loving all this "mental side of sport" I'm working on & implementing in training, can hardly wait to play with it in racing....
.
Happy Sunday and WOW to Chrissie on that amazing record at Roth, truly...dreams can happen! What a stud...
Bree



5 Comments:

Blogger Christi said...

You are doing such a great job working on the mental side of your training! I need to follow your lead and quit letting the demons conquery my dreams. Thanks for being such a great inspiration Bree! I know that someday soon you will conquer all that you want!

July 19, 2010 at 3:31 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Bree, you are living a dream life. And I am so glad you are enjoying every moment of it. Keep up the great work girl.

July 19, 2010 at 11:05 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Yay for finding peace and harmony inside!

July 20, 2010 at 11:41 AM

 
Blogger Libby said...

you are making me miss my island life :( used to live in the virgin islands and we loved going to the secret secluded beaches and laying out naked and skinny dipping :) good thing kainoa is a tough island kid. they are the best kids in the world! sounds like your trips to hilo are worthwhile!! I just blogged about how long runs are a journey where you get to immerse yourself in the beauty of the world around you. glad your brain training is going in the right direction!!! you rock bree! thanks for inspiring us!

July 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM

 
Blogger Kim said...

So glad you're getting some help and practicing with some new techniques. I'm having a terrible go of it with my run during races and being a runner it really is messing with me! I, like you, am determined to beat this thing though! We'll do it Bree! For sure! I know you won't give up.. "I can do all things through him who stengthens me!!"

July 22, 2010 at 6:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home