Aloha!

Thursday, August 5, 2010

1,330...

Babe Ruth was a stud for his 714 home runs, but did you know his less impressive strike outs are a whopping 1,330! I'm not even joking...if he didn't take that many swings he'd never have become our home run hero. If he gave up after a couple hundred strike outs he'd never accomplish his amazing 714 home runs. Clearly, I'm no Chrissie Wellington, my games are not "out of the park" and totally shutting out the other team, though that would be very nice. However, I'm racking up the strike outs (only because I'm brave enough to take the swings), because like Gary Mack says, "When you're not afraid to fail your chances of succeeding are greater". Shoots, I love this sport, Ill keep swinging knowing the dreams still exist and can happen...
.
Okay back to my strike outs, I'll share the most recent. Dad & grandpa if you are reading this close your eyes, you'd want to slap me silly if you read any further. I went a little bananas. This girl born in the country to a dad who had deer hanging in the barn with it's throat slit and blood draining out, this girl who ate sausage biscuits and gravy every Sunday at grandmas, this girl who's mom kept your face full of beef jerky, this girl who drove tractors and learned to shoot a gun with her grandpa while hunting MEAT, went back to the vegan diet. It's not like it's hard, I had a horrible dairy allergy growing up and thankfully in our back yard we had a goat that my mom had to milk just for me... yummy. So going vegan was cake since I've been nearly dairy less all my life, it was just tossing out the MEAT and eating soyrizo instead of chorizo and tofurky instead of beef jerky, and well, I let go of bacon and ate bakin.
.
My juicer is like my best friend so I thought I was getting all my nutrients that I might be missing. And when I landed myself in the doctors office very much lacking any protein he asked how I was supplementing. I told him I take a prenatal vitamin, dont laugh. I'm super far from being pregnant but I figured all the stuff in there was good enough to support me and Kainoa when he was in the belly it would be good enough to support me and ALL the training I do. Yes the nutritionist/doctor got a nice laugh out of that one. And poor coach, he was so supportive and tried to understand but was a little confused why I would do this smack in the middle of Ironman training when all things were going so well...ahhhh, strike out!
.
So this week has been all about getting life back into me. I was hardly able to get up the stairs and out of bed. We discovered a lovely 60grams of protein a day was all that fueled and refueled my training rather than the 100-125 I needed. Oh don't think this was helpful for a bikini body, it gave me a nice 6 extra pounds on my booty...I blame the nuts. I was trying to eat A LOT of nuts which have way more calories than lean meats to get the same amount of protiens. Today I feel stronger than yesterday, better than last week, and I'm totally sure after 2 days in the doctors being pumped with vitamins ect, Ill be back in no time, because that ride up the volcano is calling me.
.
This is my strike out of the season, don't try it at home. And if you are a vegan don't write me a LONG LIST about how you are making it happen in your house, that's nice. I've been vegan before and carnivore too and I think the farm girl in me despite now living on a beach just can't swim with fish she has to eat them too. And the dead cows, dont worry grandpa and dad, I did you proud, I ate them last night after swim practice.
.
Moooooooo,
Bree



13 Comments:

Blogger krystyna47 said...

Oh, I definitely know where you are coming from. I've been vegan for several years, and I've been doing triathlons for 3 of the last years - currently in training for my first Ironman!! Some days I'm the perfect athlete vegan - all the right nutrients, the right amount of protein and all that. Other days, I'm a crappy athlete because of my vegan-ness. It's hit or miss, and I'm starting to be more accepting of vegetarian choices. Triathlon and the vegan diet are both very important to me, now it's all about finding the right balance. And the right balance, as you've just pointed out, is different from person to person. Kudos on getting it figured out! :)

August 6, 2010 at 3:32 AM

 
Blogger Caratunk Girl said...

MMEEEEAAAT! Mmmmm...

I was a vegetarian for 6 years. I finally found out that the protein I was getting (besides not being enough)was from fatty sources...I had no energy...Enter the hamburger (OK maybe not the most lean source of meat, but dag on good) and I quickly felt a difference.

Anyway, it has definitely worked for me, best of luck!

August 6, 2010 at 4:07 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

I think veganism for an Ironman athlete is extremely difficult. Veganism for the every day person? Fine. But obviously, as you've seen, not the IM athlete. Not to say it can't be done but darn it, very few people can get it done right. Anyway, so glad you have figured it out and are back in action! Good luck this weekend for your 2 races!!

August 6, 2010 at 4:33 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I hear a YAK calling.....

August 6, 2010 at 4:58 AM

 
Blogger RR said...

I made the same mistake a few months ago (and I just went to vegetarian) and could barely get out of bed. Finally I started back on the meat and felt 100 times better. I am not making that mistake again- going vegetarian didnt work for this girl!

August 6, 2010 at 5:17 AM

 
Blogger Julie said...

Three cheers for meat!! YAHOOOO!!!

I know what you mean about the nuts too -- I had nut butt before. You think you have it all figured out then you figure out a *better* way.....LOL!!! So true!! Hahahahaha!!

Thanks for sharing your strike outs. :) :)

August 6, 2010 at 8:03 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Keep on feeling better Bree!

August 6, 2010 at 8:20 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

Yay for protein! I think whatever works best for you is the best plan!

August 6, 2010 at 11:45 AM

 
Blogger Libby said...

try bison steak! a good friend introduced me to it and its supposed to be ridiculously good lean protein with tons of iron. I go back and forth too, but none of us train as much as you do! get that protein in girl!!!

August 7, 2010 at 1:03 PM

 
Blogger Adrienne said...

We have those sharp teeth for a reason right? And it's not just for ripping over gu's and blocks;).

August 7, 2010 at 3:35 PM

 
Blogger Winnie Yeo said...

I'd love to read more about your diet and training. Been considering going back to vegan.

August 7, 2010 at 8:16 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

I have been in your shoes with diet woes but my weak area was gluten. A gluten free diet is not all that it is cracked up to be and there are lots of nutrients missing as well. I hope that you will get your iron levels back up so that you start feeling human again. When I added red meat back in my diet it made a huge difference. Now my favorite is bison and elk. And yes, I can eat gluten again. It is wonderful to eat cookies again!

August 9, 2010 at 9:57 AM

 
Blogger weddingdresses said...

The Power Balance bracelet is made of pure surgical grade silicone that is extremely durable. Its stretch feature optimizes users' comfort level. It comes equipped with two, visible power balance holograms and this sporty and stylish bracelet goes with everything.

Specification:

Silicone Power Balance Wristband Bracelet
The band made of 100% silicone rubber
With 2 visible hologram disks for balance power,waterproof.

November 3, 2010 at 8:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home