Aloha!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

140.6 Miles in Kentucky...

This is my new favorite picture, I think it's so cool...because this is my life. My son and his little high-fives and my parents at the sidelines of whatever I do. This trip was truly amazing with the 3 of them along for the ride.
.
Today, my "training day, just a little faster" as coach instructed, went really well. It was IDENTICAL to a typical training day, minus the aid stations and amazing crowd support. Kainoa kicked me in the head at 3am when climbing into bed with me, happens a lot back home the night before a training day. On the way to transition I forgot my waterbottles, that happens from time to time in training too. My IPOD is now lost, regular thing for me on training mornings. It was hot at 6am and I ate the same breakfast I always eat before long rides.
.
The swim was a mess for me. I wore the same goggles I train in, the dark black tinted ones so when the sun pops up over Hualalai I can still see. Didn't work so well in the dark river that we started in, in the dark. I lost my draft after 25 meters and swam alone all 2.4 miles from there. Just like back home, long solo swims. Spent the day in a swim suit, like training days. Wore a lot of sunscreen on the bike. In fact I even used the same nutrition on the bike that I do in training. Same amounts too-go figure! Then I got a flat, that always happens on the Queen K while training. Of course Im a slow-flat fixer and the guys I ride with usually end up fixing it for me so we can hurry up, today, like my training days, Greg the bike tech boy did the same, fixed it for me cause I was taking A LONG time...
.
And on the bike, I now had no computer (the magnet was on the old busted wheel), and just like in training, my HR monitor broke, so I was riding "free". It was cool going by feel, but I actually wanted some data to be honest... I think it all worked out okay. I adore the IM Kentucky bike course, its one of my favorites anywhere, ever. Its so fun in so many ways. The ride went by smooth after the flat and I found myself solo until the second loop where I was lucky enough to share it with all the folks that had to start after the pros. Swirving in and out was like a game and that was helpful for me, kind of like how the IPOD entertains me back home training.
.
The run was awesome, I got to leave from the change tent with smiles from my friend Kalin (she was volunteering in there), back home in training its her parents I usually get smiles from. My goal was to run my training day goal pace, it was a bit slower, maybe because I stopped to eat an orange at mile 17 aid station (I never do that in training runs) or maybe that course is just flat out challenging as the best girls were only 5 & 3 minutes quicker. But it all worked out okay, I just kept moving forward and thought about how thankful I was to be having a day go so similar to a training day (because as of this season my racing has been slower than training days). The only thing I dont reccomend is not taking special care of your feet prerace. Before trianing days I never put extra attention on them, but prerace I always paint my toes cute and cut my nails super short, I didnt do that (this was a training day after all), and sadly, big mistake as I think I might lose two toenails, darn it!
.
The only other thing majorly different is that 5% or 8% rule, in training, it does not matter if your training partners make it back to the shore or finish the run before you, you still get to finish and have lunch together...in the race, Bek Keat did a 9:33 something and I was freaking out about making the percent rules to get a slot to Kona and a payday... that rule would never happen in training days...
.
Anyways, I told coach "thank you so much for helping me find my way back to sport". I still have a long road ahead to get over some more of the mental stuff clouding me. His goal is to get me to the point I look at racing as RACING and get fired up about it, like grrrrr.... I want that too and told him I do, but we know Im not there just yet so the "training day, just a little faster" worked well for us and Im really thankful that we have found progress and see some areas to grow in because I love this sport and am passionate about it in so many ways, I just have to learn to get the head, heart, and body to embrace it all at the same time in the same way...
.
Thanks everyone for the continued support. Love it, appreciate it, and am thankful! And as always thanks to my sponsors & family too...
.
I better sleep now, home from watching the final finishers and Im positive there day was more tiring than mine being up racing that long, super congrats to them racing into the night and of course to all the finishers! Night.
.
Bree



39 Comments:

Blogger Oscarjet said...

Nice IM....con tu familia no has corrido....has volado!!!!!!!
felicidades por otra gran carrera, eres mas grande como triatleta y como persona !!
te queremos desde la distancia, gracias por ser una ventana a la alegria y felicidad.
enjoy your succes !!!!!

August 29, 2010 at 9:25 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Congratulations Bree! really please to see you crossing the line looking so happy and finishing in 3rd. considering you had a flat, that's brilliant! your little boy must be really proud:-)

August 29, 2010 at 9:26 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Congratulations Bree! really please to see you crossing the line looking so happy and finishing in 3rd. considering you had a flat, that's brilliant! your little boy must be really proud:-)

August 29, 2010 at 9:26 PM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Congrats Bree!! We are so proud of you here in the Sumbal household!!! I LOVE that IMKY course! Travel safe back home.
-Marni

August 30, 2010 at 12:34 AM

 
Blogger tri-ing races not cases said...

Great job Bree! I'm so happy for you that you got your Kona slot and had such a great race. Thank heavens for boys who change flats :) Was it the new 1080?

August 30, 2010 at 1:25 AM

 
Blogger miles99999 said...

Tremendous race Bree. The training day as race day, just a bit faster was great advice. Keep up the hard work and looking forward to seeing you do well in Kona.

August 30, 2010 at 2:08 AM

 
Blogger Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on the poduim finish!!!

August 30, 2010 at 2:39 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Wooo hooo! YOU DID IT!!!!! :-D

August 30, 2010 at 3:14 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Great job Bree! I saw that you got 3rd and I was so jazzed for you. But now that I hear you had a flat on the bike as well and still got third, well, now I am in awe also!

You rawked it!

August 30, 2010 at 3:19 AM

 
Blogger PocoLocoMan said...

Congratulations Bree - sounds like you just kept hammering thru any obstacles that got in your way! :)

August 30, 2010 at 3:26 AM

 
Blogger Cy said...

Great Outlook Bree - Sounds like a great day to play in Kentucky. I just LOVE that first photo... That stuff makes all the difference!

Many great things to come...

I hope to see you in Kona in a few weeks.

August 30, 2010 at 3:55 AM

 
Blogger Rachel Gussin said...

Congratulations on both a podium finish and your Kona slot!! So awesome! :)

August 30, 2010 at 5:07 AM

 
Blogger Love and Puppies, Christy said...

Congrats girl! You did awesome! I tracked you all day...until the stupid website crashed! You are amazing!

August 30, 2010 at 5:24 AM

 
Blogger Nitsirk said...

Awesome race. Glad your family was there to be a part of it all. It makes it that much more special. Congrats.

August 30, 2010 at 6:02 AM

 
Blogger Clair said...

Awesome race. Congrats!

August 30, 2010 at 6:18 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

A great turn of events. I must confess that I should have stayed up all night to follow the race, but after hearing about the flat and that you were in about 6th and slowly losing ground I really had my doubts that you would make the podium. However, I was very pleasantly surprised to find out about the end result when I got up. If the 5% rule applies at Kona, then I think Chrissie will win all the prize money. Just the fact that you can do the race as the real queen of Kona is the main thing. I hope you have a great preparation over these final few weeks.

August 30, 2010 at 6:19 AM

 
Blogger Furacán said...

Congrats Bree!! amazing race. I'm very happy for you!

August 30, 2010 at 6:27 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

So, so happy for you Bree - you put it altogether and rocked it!!! Congrats! See you in action in Kona! :)

August 30, 2010 at 6:29 AM

 
Blogger Molly said...

Congratulations Bree! So excited and proud for you! You found a way to make the race work for you and do it your way, now you can do it again!!!!

August 30, 2010 at 6:48 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

Way go GO Bree! So excited you've found your nitche that works for you in your own mind. I'm the same way and & I like that mantra so I'm gong to go with it too for Rev 3 in a couple of weeks!! So thankful everything worked out and you got to spend the time with your family and little one!! God Bless!!

August 30, 2010 at 7:52 AM

 
Blogger Caratunk Girl said...

YEAH BREE!! I am so happy for you!! I was stalking you the whole race cheering for you!! 3rd place with a flat!!! AND a KONA slot!!! You get to race at home!!! YEAH!! AND Kaiona IS your secret weapon, I am sure. You are awesome, I am really happy for you!!!! Congrats!!

August 30, 2010 at 8:27 AM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

Awesome, Bree!! Congrats to my favorite pro trimommy out there!! You cashed in all that training yesterday, and you should be so proud...(I'm sure Kainoa is!!) Looking forward to following you in Kona!! :)

August 30, 2010 at 8:40 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Yeah Bree, Congratulations!!! :) So happy for you! I was stalking you too and thinking about you all day. You ROCK!! What a day - 3rd and Kona! How wonderful you had your family with you too, love the pic - what a blessing! Can't wait to follow you at Kona!!! Thanks for always inspiring. :)

August 30, 2010 at 9:05 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

I watched you all day from Maine... I'm thrilled for you! Congrats! Can't wait for the big day in Kona..

August 30, 2010 at 10:10 AM

 
Blogger Batlou said...

Congrats on your finish in IMKY. It was an honor to award you with your finishers medal. I continue to be inspired by you and others that are pushing this sport to a new level.

Brian C.
www.theurbanprimate.com

August 30, 2010 at 10:32 AM

 
Blogger Shelley said...

Congrats Bree! Can't waint to see you race again in Kona! I'll be cheering for you during the swim for I'm part of the kayak crew. CONGRATS!!!!

August 30, 2010 at 10:35 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Big Hugs Moma! Have a safe trip home and eat some poke for me. I think I need to get myself a Boom Boom Hawaii bikini too!

August 30, 2010 at 10:57 AM

 
Blogger Slow Rider said...

I am soooo freaking pumped for you! Great job sounds like you had a blessed day. You deserve a spam musubi

August 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Awesome race, congrats on 3rd place.

August 30, 2010 at 12:55 PM

 
Blogger Mike said...

Congrats on a great race.

August 30, 2010 at 1:40 PM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Nice work!! I saw you crossing the finish line, all smiles and giving high fives. Stellar job, girl. SO so so happy for you.

August 30, 2010 at 3:23 PM

 
Blogger Whitney said...

Congrats on your great race! Thanks so much for sharing your story with us and I love the pic of you and your cheering squad.

August 30, 2010 at 3:27 PM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

Congrats on your race Bree! I hear Louisville is hillier and much tougher than one would expect from "Kentucky". Sounds like you had a stellar race. Enjoy the feeling and happy recovery!

August 31, 2010 at 4:18 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Great job. Wish I could have gotten some of your job vibrations!

August 31, 2010 at 4:27 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

I did stalk you on race day. Congrats on an amazing, amazing race! And third with a flat? Speechless! Your run was so impressive by the numbers...wow...

That shot is great. It should be a crime to have an ass that looks that good while running!! ha!

Well done!

August 31, 2010 at 5:07 AM

 
Blogger SHERRY said...

You are an amazing person & athlete. Big congrats on your awesome "training day" and your Kona slot!!

August 31, 2010 at 2:01 PM

 
Blogger Joel said...

Mmaika'i nui loa!!!

Awesome race, Bree! Congrats!

August 31, 2010 at 6:37 PM

 
Blogger Kim said...

awesome! congrats bree.

September 2, 2010 at 2:59 AM

 
Blogger weddingdresses said...

The Power Balance bracelet is made of pure surgical grade silicone that is extremely durable. Its stretch feature optimizes users' comfort level. It comes equipped with two, visible power balance holograms and this sporty and stylish bracelet goes with everything.

Specification:

Silicone Power Balance Wristband Bracelet
The band made of 100% silicone rubber
With 2 visible hologram disks for balance power,waterproof.

November 3, 2010 at 8:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home