Aloha!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Across The Pacific...

What a wonderful feeling to go home when home is the place on Earth you want to be the most. I’m so happy to be returning home with my slot to the World Championships. It’s as if now I carry this little top secret smile, sort of like the one a girl has when she gets a crush on a boy. You just sort of open your eyes wide and tilt your head looking out at the world with something inside that makes you happy, even if it’s unknown to the rest of the world. It makes breathing deep easy too.
.
It’s true what they say, when you aren’t looking or chasing things just sort of happen but you have to be ready for them. I was ready to have a race come together, to feel the payoffs of even a drop of the sacrifices and hard work. Now I get to think about Kona! I get to dream about racing in the World Championships and representing my island, the 808 state. I get to show off my sponsors on a new race outfit and even wear new shoes with fluorescent laces! It’s so many of my little kid dreams all rolled into the next 6 weeks.
.
Yes, I want to get off the plane and get training. I’m highly motivated despite the fact my feet hur t and my legs are tired. I’ve already asked coach what’s next and got him thinking about Rev3 in a couple weeks and what should I do today, tomorrow, and the next day, all the way up till Ironman Hawaii! Guess what I have to do? Stop. Breathe. Relax. Recover. Be still. It’s sort of tricky when everyone at home is out riding to Hawi and swimming the course, and me, I’ll just barely be able to get my legs to form any sort of running motion just yet. Mentally and physically I’ve got to recover from Ironman Kentucky for now. That means you will find me in the ocean…a lot, just floating and fishing.
.

Kainoa and I have been traveling since 4:30 this morning. It’ll take about 5 hours longer to get home then it took me to finish the Ironman! I’m still thinking about the race. Reflecting on the good and working up ways to do it better, letting the rough patches replay in my mind long enough to taste them and spit them out. And the part I like most, is knowing that race was not all I had and not the best of me, just a step in that direction. It’s cool to know that something you enjoy will still only get better.
.
With a few more hours till this plane lands I’m thinking about feeling the hot Kona air on my face, seeing the ocean from the above, and being able to smell the plumerias, something about those plumerias. When we finally land our first stop will be the ocean, it’s been too long since I’ve felt salt water. From there Kainoa will head to his dads house for the rest of the week and I’m planning a cruise on the road bike to spin out my legs. Nothing serious, it’ll be in surf trunks and only as far as Da Poke Shack to pick up some fresh fish and ocean salad. Tonight a sunset, if I can manage to keep my eyes open. Just thinking about it has me so thankful for the place I call home and the way I get to spend this day of life.
.
Aloha,
Bree



17 Comments:

Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I'm sure you find it fun to arrive in Kona with all the IWC nuts training all over the place. It's great that you are part of the action, too. I am off to Sweden next week and was just thinking about taking a wetsuit with me. They said that one long lake south of Gothenburg is so clear and clean that you don't need to shower afterwards.

August 31, 2010 at 11:20 PM

 
Blogger FLATOUT JIM said...

You make me want to sell everything and move to Hawaii!

Best of luck at the World Championships. Racing on home turf (or sand) is pretty special.

September 1, 2010 at 12:14 AM

 
Blogger Caratunk Girl said...

Bree, I am so happy for you! You get to race on your home turf, that is awesome!! Rest up before your next big build. Good luck!!

September 1, 2010 at 1:12 AM

 
Blogger Lynn said...

"It’s true what they say, when you aren’t looking or chasing things just sort of happen but you have to be ready for them."

I was here a month ago! One week after my 1st half marathon, did a sprint triathlon after mostly rest (due to super sore quads!), minimal training that week... Thought...just do the course and what is, is. Got 2nd in my age group and was so strong! Go figure!!!

Learned to trust in all that hard work and dedication of months leading up to that tough two weekends in a row. It comes together and no need to over think things.

Congrats again! You are a true inspiration!

September 1, 2010 at 1:50 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

so happy for you!!! check it out...two maine girls commenting next to each other here.
truly just thrilled for you..

September 1, 2010 at 1:51 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Bree, I am so absolutely excited and happy for you! You had a great race and I know that you will rawk Kona also! I can't wait to read all about the wonderful training and relaxin' you are going to do in that great state of yours!

Keep up the good work and always remember to smile because you are inspiring me and many others!

September 1, 2010 at 3:33 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Life is a journey with all kinds of pot holes coupled with good things that make you smile. Glad your smiling, you deserve it.

By the way, you never said.... how long was the flat time out?

September 1, 2010 at 4:54 AM

 
Blogger gelmertri said...

Congrats! I like the fact that every IM podium finish for you happens when Kainoa is there. I also like what seemed to be a Crowie like strategy that had all but two of the racers coming back to you - and that was including a flat. Can't wait to follow you and my other friends racing on the 8th!

September 1, 2010 at 5:57 AM

 
Blogger Kona-California said...

Congrats on an awesome race! i'm sitting at Island Style Cafe in San Diego listening to island music, having poke and korean chicken for lunch..listen to Braddah Iz missing the beautiful place we get to call home...KONA!
Be sure to relax and enjoy the warm waters and sunshine
Aloha...

September 1, 2010 at 8:49 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

so pleased for you:-) take it easy for a while

September 1, 2010 at 9:16 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

So happy for you! Enjoy your recovery... and being back on your beautiful island home. (I'm jealous from here in Chicago!) Congrats again - you are truly inspiring!

September 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM

 
Blogger ali said...

So glad for you, happy recovering and rock on!

September 1, 2010 at 1:37 PM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

I am so proud of you Bree! And agree, you have to be ready for your opportunity but can't chase it either!! You are a true inspiration and a reminder that dreams do come true!! xoxo

September 1, 2010 at 1:41 PM

 
Blogger Jennifer Harrison said...

Bree! Congrats on your race @ IMKY, way to get 3rd and get your slot for Kona! ENJOY your R&R and soon training for Kona!

September 1, 2010 at 2:31 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Super happy for you locking down your Kona slot and heading home!!

September 1, 2010 at 6:23 PM

 
Blogger weddingdresses said...

The Power Balance bracelet is made of pure surgical grade silicone that is extremely durable. Its stretch feature optimizes users' comfort level. It comes equipped with two, visible power balance holograms and this sporty and stylish bracelet goes with everything.

Specification:

Silicone Power Balance Wristband Bracelet
The band made of 100% silicone rubber
With 2 visible hologram disks for balance power,waterproof.

November 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM

 
Blogger power balance said...

Bid on Power Bracelet now! Find Bracelets. New Colors & Sizes. power balance wholesale Guarantee & Secure Ordering.Power balance USA, Canada, UK Free Shipping. Rosetta Stone allows headstones to provide genealogical and historical information about the deceased directly to cemetery site visitors.

December 7, 2010 at 3:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home