Aloha!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Island Crush...

My Tahitian friend Mathieu gave me this photo and I LOVE it. It really reminds me of just being me, doing what I love because I love it and for no other reason. Of course only moments after this shot was snapped yesterday I was busted for skating in the parking lot...however, it was awesome to feel like a school girl again doing what I love for the simple reason of loving it and nothing else. Most days that reminds me of my triathlon life, doing it because I love it, simply love it.
.
Today's run was my last long one before Ironman Kentucky. I wanted to run really far, really far and really fast. I wanted to go and be free and find that something deep within me that I could take all the places I ever go in this life, like my own inner strength, a strength I found as a surfer girl long ago, something the waves taught me. A strength I found playing on Craig's half pipe in high school on a skate board and busting my chin open, that strength, because I was brave & free and did things because I loved them and for no reason bigger than that. Just outta love. This morning I set off on my run, the last long one. For me it had to be one that would finish with a pat on the back and that little feeling of, "I got this, I can do it". Being the last long one it meant a lot to me for a lot of reasons other than just loving the long run. I wanted to finish knowing I can "hold my $h!z together". Have my head, heart, and feet all on the same team. Know that when I jump off the bike in Kentucky there will be the very same long run I had today waiting for me. Okay, so maybe it won't be cluttered with palm trees and tropical island breeze, but it will be 26.2 miles in my KSwiss :)
.
From the first to the last mile, it was good to great. It felt as if every guy I knew on the island was running with me and it kept giving me that little school girl crush when they would pass. First was the surfer boy, he would drive-park-surf check-wave & smile-drive-park-surf check-wave & smile (repeat a few miles with me). Then it was Matty blaring on the horn like a parade was coming through, except it was just me laughing. It was Jason on his boat (who happened to catch 3 ono and is giving me one). It was the man with one arm who high-fived me up the hill. It was an uncle on the sea wall reading the paper that I pass every single day, "Bree hurry", love him! It was the construction guys offering water from their trucks like an aid station. It was Greg at Bongo Ben's cheering and telling me to come eat for free! Then it was the man that works in my condo, driving past in a golf cart "Sheeeeeooooooots girl, get it". Love his cheers. It was all of them. It was my coach in my head telling me he believes in me and how he wrote out all the paces and what time to check for. It was a friend sending me a note that said 17 days. It was my own son, "mommy have a great day at running".
.
Not to leave out the girls, but for some reason it was honestly all the guy friends I have that seemed to be at each mile all the miles long today. It was like a school girl in high school with a big crush on a bunch of boys, only thing is it was a triathlete with big bunch of boys that made her feel totally loved all long run long. When I finished it felt like a race finish, including the arms up and then bend over to catch your breath kind of finish. This run is going with me to Kentucky, each of these miles cluttered with the guys that seemed to have been strategically placed from the first to the last mile are going too, okay so they aren't but it would be really fun. Today is 17 days...today I'm happy about that run.
.
Sunset time with my boy now, recovery at its finest!
Bree



14 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

kick ass in kentucky bree! it is no doubtedly going to be your race!

August 12, 2010 at 5:55 PM

 
Blogger Caratunk Girl said...

Bree, it is so awesome to hear you feeling so strong and good!! You are a rockstar - I will be cheering for you in KY! (Hey, I am always cheering for yoU!)

August 13, 2010 at 12:09 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Great job Bree! You are a rockstar and I wish I had your cheering section!

August 13, 2010 at 3:31 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

You know, it's interesting... the same thing happens to me here in Tampa. I go out for a run and these blue haired women come out of their houses and cheer me on.... most of them yelling "take your shirt off sonny". Hmmmm, what's with that??

August 13, 2010 at 3:39 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

loved reading your report and seeing the care free pics. Like you, I also remind myself of my happiest childhood moments - with my bike, jumping from a tree branch into a river and adventures - for inspiration and so I don't forget the essence of who i am. I know you're going to have a great race Bree:-)

August 13, 2010 at 8:31 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

Yah Bree!!!! :)

August 13, 2010 at 12:16 PM

 
Blogger Running Librarian said...

Good luck in Kentucky! You are so ready for it!

August 13, 2010 at 12:26 PM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Loved reading about your long run (and recent training for Kentucky)! How lucky you are to have so many special people around you to keep you going. Sounds like you are on the right path to rock it in 17 days! Good luck... you are definitely a rock star, and keeping us inspired!! Love the skateboarding with Kainoa. :)

August 13, 2010 at 7:22 PM

 
Blogger Libby said...

awesome girl. love the skate pic. you are one bad a** chica and don't you forget that in kentucky! (even if the local crowd isn't as cute as your hawaiian fan club, they will all be on the course routing for YOU!!)
smile, be yourself and connect with the passion and love inside you and fear will have nothin' on you!
go bree!

August 14, 2010 at 1:26 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Nice imagery to tuck into your back pocket for Kentucky! You are going to be brilliant!

August 14, 2010 at 5:37 PM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

Mil veces gracias, por hacerme soñar a traves de tu blog.Eres la mejor amiga mia....
Como disfrutas de la vida en el paraiso !!!
Un beso.

August 15, 2010 at 1:27 AM

 
Blogger ali said...

Mind over body, go get it!!!

August 15, 2010 at 12:21 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

It sounds like you had an awesome run. You are going to do great things in Kentucky!

August 16, 2010 at 3:01 PM

 
Blogger weddingdresses said...

The Power Balance bracelet is made of pure surgical grade silicone that is extremely durable. Its stretch feature optimizes users' comfort level. It comes equipped with two, visible power balance holograms and this sporty and stylish bracelet goes with everything.

Specification:

Silicone Power Balance Wristband Bracelet
The band made of 100% silicone rubber
With 2 visible hologram disks for balance power,waterproof.

November 3, 2010 at 8:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home