Aloha!

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Between TWO Ironmans...

Just home from a run in Napili, along the coast I had views of Lanai and Molokai, from Maui it's different looking across the ocean than back home, but the running felt the same. Calm. Running in Hawaii moves a lot like the breeze here for me, just really calm. Today was my first run since Ironman Kentucky and it's just the start of Ironman Hawaii training, I'm between two Ironmans and still thrilled about the race that happened and the race to come...
.
This trip has been especially good for me. My mind and body feel so eager to embrace the next 5 weeks. Simply excited. And I never need a break from home so as nice as a little "unwind session on Maui" was, it will be nice to get back to a place where traffic is much slower...

On Maui I laughed a lot, jumped from some cliffs, ate the foods I don't usually eat, I stayed up past my bed time, and I tried to sleep past 5:30 in the morning. I swambikeran less than ever, and I did a bit of shopping and other girly things too. More time was in bikinis than run shoes, and we even took out the long boards for a bit of tandem surfing and playing in the waves. It was a lot of the things I do in "very small amounts" all somewhat in excess on Maui.

What's the story on recovery after an Ironman? Some say 26 days (one for each mile you run of an Ironman), other's think a good week of nothing but TV... it's been a good week of island living for me, not even close to 26 days, so whatever the theory is I think if your head and heart are ready you can usually convince the body to come along for the ride...
.
Bree



7 Comments:

Blogger CoachLiz said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic post race vacation/recovery session. Stay healthy, happy, and injury free the next few weeks.

September 5, 2010 at 1:35 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Well I hope the next 5 weeks go perfectly for you.

September 5, 2010 at 11:33 PM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

Sounds like an awesome recovery! Good luck with the rest of your training. so glad you got the slot, was thinking of you all that day and kept checking on your times even in the middle of our night.

September 6, 2010 at 1:27 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Perfect week! Love it!

I have a silly question - if you did rest 26 days post IM and then tapered for the next one too how many could you do in a year?

September 6, 2010 at 3:30 AM

 
Blogger Monica Kvas said...

Congrats on your race and your kona slot! You get the home advantage big time! All of your pictures are so amazing! Glad you had a fun trip to Maui. I'm going to Molaka'i in two weeks and I'm so excited:)

September 6, 2010 at 10:33 PM

 
Blogger Ange said...

I've been seeing your facebook posts...hope you're OK!

September 7, 2010 at 1:36 PM

 
Blogger Ange said...

I've been seeing your facebook posts...hope you're OK!

September 7, 2010 at 1:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home