Aloha!

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Guava Guava Jelly....

This girl feels absolutely zero percent better than yesterday, not too thrilled about that, but mentally I'm still totally focused on staying positive & staring out at stars every night wishing to feel better when I wake up. Looks like another lesson in patience for this girl...
.
Today on my run, when the pain decided to shoot from the front to the back to under my arm then out to my elbow. (clueless how it took that route), I wanted to have a small temper tantrum, but really, honestly, what would that solve? Nothing. Biting my lip, holding my boob from time to time, and poking under my arm got me through. It was one of those, "thankful just to be alive and running" moments. Of course when I got home to use the leg roller and couldn't even hold it with a good grip to roll out my legs with the right arm, that's when I decided to let out a tiny, very small amount of grump... I just threw the thing.
.
And what do I do best when I am in a mood, cook or bake. Kainoa and I did both. For starters it was the Guava blueberry jelly that makes Bob Marley & Ka'au Crater Boys rub their belly...listen to the song and make your own guava jelly :)
For starters, get about 2 pounds of fresh guava fruit. Cut it into chunks and then boil for about 2 minutes. Yes, with the skin, seeds, and all. It'll make your kitchen smell so good and with the song playing in the back ground you can't help but to feel better...
Then drain out all the juice from the skin and seeds. If a few chunks of either get in there no worries. Both are edible, but it makes for crunchy jelly with those seeds. You should have about 2 cups worth of guava juice. Okay... good news, if you don't have access to fresh guavas (from a Hawaiian tree or grocery store in your town) you can buy 2 cups of guava juice.
Now put the 2 cups of guava juice back on the stove and add in 1/2 cup of agave syrup. (You can use honey or sugar if you like, I've never made it that way so I'm not sure the consistency to be honest). Then add in 1 cup of blueberries (this is where the island girl had to use frozen because that's what we have here). Any cup fresh or frozen will work fine. Bring to a boil. The instant it begins to boil add in fruit pectin and stir nonstop for 1 minute, then remove from heat and put it in jars.
Seriously, this is my favorite jelly recipe I've ever made. The crazy spunky guava taste meshed with whole blueberries makes it so fresh and I love the chunky texture too. Not to mention its way easy to do. And if you have a bunch of nuts and a food processor you can make your own nut butter too in about 3 minutes on high. From there.... the best PB&J sandwich you ever had!
Congrats to all the REV3, Na Wahine, Peaman, and IM Wisconsin finishers today... and to all the injured people out there, don't worry...we will get to race soon too!
.
Bree



11 Comments:

Blogger CoachLiz said...

Oh that looks awesome! I may have to give this a try this week. I need some cooking happiness.

September 12, 2010 at 5:38 PM

 
Blogger James said...

Thanks for the recipe. I will run out and get some guava over the next few days and try it. It sure beats buying it.

September 12, 2010 at 8:37 PM

 
Blogger SSB said...

I think all the guys saw you running today. And I finally found the IM turn around buoy. Take care of those ribs.

September 12, 2010 at 9:32 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Hope you feel better today. That looks delish.

September 12, 2010 at 11:08 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Your attitude is so amazing Bree! It will all work out just like you said, it's the patience in the mean time that is hard. You are doing a great job of it!

That jelly looks soooooo good! I've never even tasted guava before! Will look for guava juice in the grocery store today!

September 13, 2010 at 2:07 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

That jelly looks very yummy!

September 13, 2010 at 3:11 AM

 
Blogger Christy said...

Bree, You ought to submit some of these recipes to a healthy cooking magazine. All those magazines come from the same place, I think, Iowa. Don't know my aunt well. But she's an editor for a food magazine. (dunno if she still is.) These recipes you do look amazing. Looks like you love to make them. What a great pic for a recipe w/ your son helping! Better still, a book! That would be cool! Crazy hard... but, you can do it. That jelly looks delicious!

September 13, 2010 at 3:44 AM

 
Blogger Christy said...

Hubby says, "sell the jelly"... will bring in more money :)

September 13, 2010 at 3:47 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

reading your recipe I thought to myself "where am I going to get guava here in london????" the moment you mentioned you had to use frozen blueberries brought a smile to my face. AH!I've got lots of fresh plump ones right here:-) should we do a swap?

September 13, 2010 at 9:23 PM

 
Blogger Oh yeah, it's Mr. Francisco to you said...

I went to the Spanish store, bought some guayaba cus guava in the store is a white silky fruit with a black seed but oh so sweet., went to whole foods bought some Agave syrup, went to the fruit market and bought some fresh blueberries, the outcome is: YUMMYYYYYYY

September 15, 2010 at 3:38 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Sorry you are still hurting...no shame in letting off a little steam.

that guava jelly looks and sounds amazing!!!! I'm impressed with your culinary prowess!

September 15, 2010 at 11:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home