Aloha!

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Recovering...

To each his own, so read this with a grain of salt. Recovery physically and mentally is something I'm still in the process of learning and generally don't understand it till I'm about knee deep in some sort of unwanted issue. BUT this time, since I am the proud owner of a KONA SLOT to the World Championships, I'm all about recovery to the fullest...even the new booty that I'll grow while sitting on it a bit much.
.
Today is 37 days till Ironman Hawaii. Today I rode bike "recovery style". As in just spin the legs to enhance circulation & restore range of motion. Nothing big, nothing challenging, nothing of any intensity...and I liked it. In fact I felt like I was getting "faster" going that slow because I was letting my body heal.
.
This ride did not include the big ring, needed no gels to get me through, using any sort of HR monitor or bike clock was completely not happening. It did include one stop at the bikini shop (I promised myself I could if I made the podium). It also included a quick trip to Da Poke Shack-you know for the protein. What a ride.
The rest of my day was baking banana muffins because I woke up at 3:45am thanks to the time change. Of course a swim in the ocean, maybe better to call it a float since I was "recovering". To mentally recover I'm trying not to think about triathlon. It's a little difficult because I'm so excited to be racing Kona, but I know it's just as important to let the mind unwind as it is the body. Thankfully I'm going to have a little help keeping this week of "take a triathlon break" doable. In fact, I'm going to get off the island and take a mid season mini break. I know it's not mid season anymore, but I qualified late in the year so my break comes late in the year...
.
I'm island hopping. Tomorrow morning I'm jumping on a plane to Maui for 4 days of beach, bikini, ocean floats, sunsets, fish, and a reunion with my high school friends-yeah, high school reunion!
.
I'll keep you posted of "What happens in Maui stays on Maui". When the 4 days are up it's all about Ironman. Swimbikerun, eatsleep, repeat. Till then, I'll be recovering somewhere on Maui with a handful of friends I grew up with...this outta be fun!
.
Bree



13 Comments:

Blogger Caratunk Girl said...

enjoy your break, can't wait to hear about it!

September 2, 2010 at 1:10 AM

 
Blogger donna furse said...

So excited for you to be racing Kona, I can't wait to hear about all your training exploits over the next month. Have a great time in Maui.

September 2, 2010 at 1:31 AM

 
Blogger PocoLocoMan said...

Congratulations again on the Kona slot!!! Enjoy the recovery, you've earned it...

September 2, 2010 at 1:36 AM

 
Blogger Kate said...

Hey Bree, wanted to send ginormous smiles your way...we kind of are friends through friends of other friends so technically (well untechnically)somewhat friends. I love your blog and your little man and wanted to send you a huge huge CONGRATS in Louisville because I sure as hell was pulling for you. Jealous everyday of your oceans swims and fish watching. Heal up and go after it come October 9th! I'll be cheering albeit from nyc.

September 2, 2010 at 2:20 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Relax and recover!

September 2, 2010 at 3:01 AM

 
Blogger Christy said...

one of my favorite posts. Congrats on Louisville and onward to recovery.

September 2, 2010 at 4:53 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

So fun Bree! Enjoy!!

September 2, 2010 at 5:40 AM

 
Blogger tinaparker87 said...

Wish I was you today! Have a great trip!

September 2, 2010 at 6:35 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Have a great time on Maui! You certainly deserve it. Rest up, recover, heal, have fun and get ready to get back to work. October will be here soon enough. I'm super excited for you!

September 2, 2010 at 6:56 AM

 
Blogger Chad said...

Wait. People that live in Hawaii go to Hawaii for vacation? That's bananas.

September 2, 2010 at 9:40 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

there's nothing like meeting up with old school friends to help you recover/relax and have fun. have a great time in Maui

September 2, 2010 at 11:16 AM

 
Blogger Caroline said...

Congratulations on your Kona slot!
A girl in my swim lane and I were chatting today how much we both like reading your blog. Looking forward to reading about Kona!

September 2, 2010 at 3:48 PM

 
Blogger Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

Enjoy your recovery time. You totally deserve it!

September 2, 2010 at 4:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home