Aloha!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Saturday Brick N' Breakfast...

Morning started off with a swim, in the "almost dark" hours before 6am. The high-light was the amazing view of the sun rising up above Hualalai and of course, me being the very first person in the water. The not so-high-light was the very cold water! I can tell it's becoming "winter" in Hawaii...using big blankets means it's cold and wishing for a wetsuit means the same, cold.
...and this was my view. Lovely, you couldn't see sharks or dolphins even if you were looking! Generally I wouldn't swim this early in the ocean (it's too cold) but a group of my 5 favorite boys were riding bikes to Hawi & over the Kohalas so I wanted company. Coach wanted me to do a swim/ride brick and it was a good way to test out the ribs/arm/boob after a swim then how it would handle on my bike. Ugh, it wasn't as happy as I was hoping. HOWEVER, the boys and & I got a brilliant plan. In my T1 bag I'll put one of those ice packs that get cold when you twist it and shove it down my suit, I know, we are SMART!
What a wonderful way to start the morning, a sunrise at sea. From there it was a long ride following behind the 5 boys that literally kicked my rear end. It was pretty good to start, then I had one of those, "I am doing so good, I think I'm almost at least 60% better" kind of feelings and I took a pull into the headwind, up a hill, then lost my breath. Bad. As in I was wanting CPR that very moment. From there it was "chase" and I just fell off the back and only saw their rear ends for the rest of the way to Hawi. Then I was humbled. Not so much by Pele, she always gets me good, this time by my own anxious ways lacking in all sorts of patience...
.
Spinning easy to catch my breath, it was still MIA, then I was feeling like a severe asthma attack, I think my lungs were just not ready to go that hard yet. Literally I had to stop for a breath, catch it, then get back rolling. A tiny bit of frustration fell over me, I had all the endurance in the world and my body felt so much better than it had in a couple weeks, but I never thought the short breaths from the bruising would still be with me, I guess just because the physical bruising is gone the internal isn't...YET. SO I got sad and rode 48 miles home just going as best as I could with where I am today, and that IS SO MUCH FURTHER ALONG then last week.
.
Warned not to do the 1 step forward, 2 steps back thing, to be on the safe side I tried to do a perfect recovery. Ice bath-full body. It was horrible, I will not lie or even soften the truth. I almost got out 2 times thanks to uncontrollable shivers, I'm not even sure if that's a smart thing or dumb thing or even a safe thing totally immersing a body into ice, but shoots, I had to do the entire rib cage and back while doing the legs. It took forever to dethaw. Then I actually forced a nap. Oh, refueling was top on the list too...
Get all these ingredients plus 2 eggs and you can literally be eating for recovery in 3 minutes! Yes, that is all it took to fill the "refuel requirements of protein, carbs, electrolytes, hydration". On the stove boil water and crack 2 eggs into the water, then add the noodles (you can buy the ones in the photo or I prefer soba), then spice it up with the sea stuff.... AMAZING...and you know after those long rides waiting to eat gets crazy, so this will hold you off, all within 3 minutes!

The break down:

Carbs-52 grams, Protein-35-45 depending how many eggs you use and how much Wakame you add, Calories-375, Sodium-1385 (you might not need that much if you dont sweat a lot of train/race/live in a hot place, so use less of the seaweed salt), Potassium-725, Sugars-1

.

Alright, to carry on with the recovery so I don't take anymore steps back... early to bed, good night!!

Bree




4 Comments:

Blogger Regina said...

I LOVE Furikake!! An old Japanese b'friend introduced it to me and I put it, not only on rice, but on quinoa too! That meal looks awesome!

September 19, 2010 at 4:34 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

is there avocado in there? what is that green stuff that looks like avocado?

September 19, 2010 at 4:37 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Oh Bree.. I donno know... TGP could not do 2 things regarding this post: Swim AT that hour.(Certain fish FEED at that hour.. eeeks)and #2 I'll stick with chocolaty skim milk for recovery. :-) Glad you are feeling better.

September 19, 2010 at 1:06 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Geee! I have some fo these ingredients in kitchen cupboard. finally got a recipe for them:-) cheers Bree

September 20, 2010 at 9:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home