Aloha!

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ironman Cozumel Race Report...

There will be no photos of today's event and I hope all the camera men and women that took photos do not share any of mine if they are messy...please. Thanks. Here is how the action went down...
.
Swim: I'm happy with my swim, lost my pack and was swallowed up by the chase group, it was a nice and easy free ride. Maybe the first time I have had a free ride for that much of a swim event, no complaints. The only problem was that it felt like a training day during a race as I wasn't working very hard, when I tried to make a move it was a cluster of maybe 9 of us together and getting around to save a maybe a minute or two would have probablly cost me more energy than worth it, so I used the patience that this season has taught me and followed feet.
.
Onto the bike, I had a single goal, "Faster than last years bike split". That was it. I knew the likes of Tyler Stewart and Yvonne were in the women's race, me bike with them... I WISH. SO rather than get caught up, swept into a pace that is not my own, we went with the HR rate monitor for this... no bike clock or cadence clock, nothing fidgety, easy for this girl...a heart rate.
.
Lap 1, lap 2, lap 3.... all of them were nearly the exact same HR and each lap got a tiny bit faster. This made me VERY happy. As the wind and heat picked up I was able to keep it steady. Goal achieved, 11 minutes faster than last season and I was finally able to focus on my own race. Thanks to following a HR heading into T2 I felt good too, hoping that meant my run would finally happen.
.
At this point I was very happy with my race so far. Its truly been an interesting year of racing. It seems I do better when coach gives me my own single goals and paces and I just stick to them no matter what is happening around me. Its more my style to try and hang onto whoever passes me but I'm just not there and usually end up with a pretty sour race after blowing up. Sticking to my own race is working and then we are finding what can make my own race better. The patience in all this is a bit of a challenge as I'm so hungry for a good race, one to reflect my training and passion, today I seriously thought it was bound to happen, finally...
.
Out onto the run, feeling pretty good after pacing smart and having a good nutrition day out there, it's all smiles for this girl. HR still good and I was running the pace coach and I had worked out from training. Man it was good to be running off the bike, brought back good memories of IM KY and running happy, only this time I was ready to do it a little faster. Mile one I get a few nice stairs, a couple guys point and laugh and say a few remarks. I blame it on the bar we passed, figure the men were drunk. My Spanish is good enough to tell something is going on and I'm the one being laughed at. And then the truth is told... this girl is on her period!
.
Oh, it was a nightmare like nothing that has ever happened to me before. Seriously?! I was darn determined to keep on running, so I went for mile 2...using the drinks at aid stations and water from others to try and "splash it off" was clearly not working. Thankfully the sharks didn't eat me, thankfully I didn't know about this on the bike so I could ride without worry, but now... the run! All of Mexico now knows Bree Wee was having a hard time of the month. I've always been rather thankful that while my chick friends are dealing with cramps, head aches, sore boobs, I get to skip the side effects... today I would have gladly taken a warning sign that the thing was coming.
.
Now what Bree?! Tampons, anyone, anyone? Clearly most of Latin America uses pads, no tampons from the spectators. Thought about it, but a diaper would not hold up in a marathon any better than what my bike shorts were doing. Okay then, I will finish this a little messy. Well, that idea did not work, I felt so bad for the volunteers, they were so grossed out despite wanting to help. I'm trying to spare you full details, but it was not pleasant, dripping down my legs and to make it all worse, I had on the white n' pink Kswiss tri kit, not even a Splish suit like I usually wear, so it was now very noticable. In the Splish I could have rinsed off my legs at least, you can't really rinse off bike shorts of that color (just to let you know). This girl was grossed out at herself. I thought about just finishing, but with over 23 miles to go it would only get worse and I could not do that to others. No worries about me, Im humbled everyday, but this was beyond bad...
.
I managed to get back to the hotel, shower, and clean undies on. More than you can imagine I want to go run a marathon, all ride long I was thinking only about that run, saving for it, patiently waiting for it, I wanted to run. Not sure how to feel at the moment. Thankful I suppose that I get to be a woman, sad about being all the way here and not even finishing the last race of my season, and somewhat having to laugh at myself as this is for certain the most embarressing thing that has ever happened to me.
.
What did I learn this race? Make sure my race kits never include light colors, always put shorts in my special needs bags just in case with some back up womanly stuff, and borrow someone's period cramps before a race so I know it's coming!
.
Alright, that is my season end race. Thanks for reading my disaster....
Laughing, grossed out, and now really hungry to race...
Bree



27 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Oh Chica, what a heartbreak - you have the best attitude and spirit but you trained so hard and to have it cut short is just a bummer. Big hugs to you.

November 28, 2010 at 1:50 PM

 
Blogger Bre said...

Oh I'm so sorry you didn't get to finish your race- next year! I love that you are totally honest- the thought of "what if that happened during a race" has crossed my mind. And is definitely the reason I refuse white shorts- no matter how awesome they are! ;) Love your honesty- even as a pro you keep it real and I love and admire that swo much about you! Enjoy some time off with Kainoa!

November 28, 2010 at 2:03 PM

 
Blogger Caratunk Girl said...

UGH. So sorry Bree, that just sucks!! But now for sure I am never getting white biking shorts. Hugs to you, I am so sorry you had to go through that.

November 28, 2010 at 2:47 PM

 
Blogger Roblynn said...

You poor thing, what a bummer after all the training and doing so well. I remember one race I was doing in Santa Barbara, when I would run by they would say things into the walkie talkie. I did not know until I was done a gal told me I had blood on my legs. It was really bad chub rub, but nobody knew that except me :) Good thing you know Spanish, all those lessons paid off ha?

November 28, 2010 at 3:19 PM

 
Blogger Whitney said...

I'm so sorry your race had to end early. That is the standard white short/pant nightmare scenario though. Here's to an awesome season in 2011!

November 28, 2010 at 4:33 PM

 
Blogger swimfin said...

Bree, so sorry! I was watching your splits and thought you were doing well. I couldn't figure out why they weren't putting up your run splits. Now I know, and I feel so bad for you. Hopefully, you will be able to look back at this many years later and laugh. We have all been there at some point, just maybe not in such a public place. Thanks for sharing your story! I think perhaps this might be an opportunity for you to be e new athletic Tampax spokeswoman. Enjoy your off season!
Aloha,
Lynn

November 28, 2010 at 5:31 PM

 
Blogger Stef said...

Bree after everything you've gone through (I've been following your blog for 3-4 years now I forget) this is just . . .

Well, there are no words. I can't help but feel though that when you do crack that top 10 that top 3 that top SPOT, that will feel so much sweeter and you probably will look back on this and laugh so hard it will make your sides ache.

Not that I know you that well at all but damn girl you have such guts and fortitude and you take these challenges so head on that I can't help but feel this way.

I hope you inspire yourself because you sure do inspire me.

HUGS!

November 28, 2010 at 8:02 PM

 
Blogger Stef said...

PS I know you've been on the podium before I Was referring to a recent post where you said your goal was to crack the top 10 at Kona.

:-)!!!!!!

November 28, 2010 at 8:04 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Oh Bree my sweet! I'm so sorry! This can happen to any of us girls and that's why I usually wear dark shorts. You are the first PRO to bring up this subject and with such honesty.
the first aid people didn't have anything for this sort of emergency? Just so you know, my (heavy)period always seems to come up when I'm about to race so there's always tampax in one of my bags. Next time you'll have a strategy for this so it won't happen again. take care and I hope your lovely k-Swiss sponsors come up with some dark shorts too

November 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Oh Bree my sweet! I'm so sorry! This can happen to any of us girls and that's why I usually wear dark shorts. You are the first PRO to bring up this subject and with such honesty.
the first aid people didn't have anything for this sort of emergency? Just so you know, my (heavy)period always seems to come up when I'm about to race so there's always tampax in one of my bags. Next time you'll have a strategy for this so it won't happen again. take care and I hope your lovely k-Swiss sponsors come up with some dark shorts too

November 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I hope you can do another race fairly soon so you can burn off all that excess energy. You don't seem to have wasted too much on that race. Had you worn a red outfit like Macca or Chrissie, you could have finished without problem. I remember I always raced with black shorts that were not too tight. Even the old men have their problems, too. Not much to think about for 16 hours.

November 29, 2010 at 1:02 AM

 
Blogger D said...

Ugh. Sorry, man! My body lets me know pretty much down to the minute when things are going to take over - I send that to you for future use!

November 29, 2010 at 3:39 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I saw the bike split and knew you were on your game... now it all makes sense. Anywhere else you probably could have run into a drug store...

I know it is early, but IMTX is right up your alley... Hot, humid, and hilly....

Keep up the good spirits... nothing you can do but learn. My lesson came at Louisville, and I am now thankful it happened.

November 29, 2010 at 4:26 AM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

Amigaaaa! lo siento ! ahora ya es una anecdota paa contar...lo mejor reirse de uno mismo.Despues de tantas y tantas carreras siempre te puede pasar algo que no controlas.
Buena cronica Amiga...!!! tenia ganas de leerte...sabes??
Me alegro de ver todo lo que has hecho en MEX!!!! next season SPAIN !!! come on !!! ;D big hug !!

November 29, 2010 at 5:32 AM

 
Blogger tinaparker87 said...

Oh man, I was hoping to see you on the run when I got back from my ride. You'll get it next time. The extra girl stuff is always in the tri bag just in case. LIke the extra pair of contacts or glasses.

November 29, 2010 at 7:32 AM

 
Blogger Francisco Villegas..Marathoner/Triathlete said...

Hi Bree Bree...

Aloha!

I'm sorry to hear about mother nature throwing you a curve ball. You were strong enough to fight through for as long as you could with character and discipline. You are my friend and I admire how you handled the situation, well done Bree Bree. There will be more races to come, and we will be watching every step of the way.

November 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM

 
Blogger Bruther said...

The coolest thing is you put that out there, no b/s, just told it like it was. Sorry about the race, you will have your dream race soon.

November 29, 2010 at 12:03 PM

 
Blogger Mark said...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0904/this.day.sports.history.april15/images/uta-pippig.jpg

That's a real bummer, Bree, I feel sorry for you. One day you will have your race where everything comes together.

Check out the link I've attached, that's Uta Pippig (probably Germany's best female marathon runner of all times) winning the Boston Marathon in 1996. She's won Boston three times, Berlin three times, New York once and she has represented Germany two times in the Olympics, but this is what people remember most about her, winning the 1996 Boston Marathon in the midst of menstrual bleeding and diarrhea. I'm not sure if anyone wants to be remembered for that, I certainly wouldn't. That said it was probably the right decision to drop out of the race.

Greetings from California.

November 29, 2010 at 2:34 PM

 
Blogger Love and Puppies, Christy said...

Oh dear lord woman! I was in town watching the race, saw you come out of the water looking great, looked good on the bike and then I never saw you on the run. I checked results and saw you DNFed...so then I thought, oh, I'll check her blog and see if there is some info there. Never, in my wildest dreams did THIS ever cross my mind. You are a champ for accomplishing what you did and you rock! That's always been a big fear of mine as well...you dealt with it like a champ (and WAY better than I would have). Congrats on a good day regardless. I missed seeing you run!!

November 29, 2010 at 5:24 PM

 
Blogger momof3 said...

Oh, I thought this sort of thing only happened to me! So let me share with you the benefit of NOT finishing - I finished my marathon M-venture feeling like I had been hit by a TRUCK... and looking back on it with some clarity - realizing that more than 60% of women who are M-ing are anemic... well, I think you made the right choice.

November 30, 2010 at 6:53 AM

 
Blogger Lindsay and James Cotter said...

oh man, what a story. I guess it would be good to keep extra tampons in your race kit, eh? hehe. So sorry about that bre! Hope you have a safe trip back to your little one. :)
LCotter

November 30, 2010 at 8:34 AM

 
Blogger KevinandSpring said...

I love this post...anyone else would of hidden from the truth it shows how confident you are with your life and your sport. You will get top 10 no doubt. You will be standing on the podium thinking what just happened. I love reading your posts...you always update. Don't let something like this stop you! Keep kicking ass girl.

Congrats
Spring

November 30, 2010 at 3:12 PM

 
OpenID damontucker.com said...

Warrior!!!

Bree... Your the toughest chick on the Big Island!

Love you for your honesty.

dt

November 30, 2010 at 8:29 PM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

I hope I'm at the race where everything just clicks 100% for you - it will be so incredibly awesome!

December 1, 2010 at 11:33 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Oh Bree, I'm so sorry to hear what happened... was thinking about you on Sunday during my long run in Chicago. Thanks for pouring your heart out to us with such honesty, what all of girls have to deal with. That just sucks that this had to happen on your last tri of the season, when we know you would have rocked! Enjoy some time off now with your little guy!! ;) Just know you are always inspiring, with your beautiful spirit and amazing ambition! Looking forward to hearing about your journeys ahead, and your dream race. Thanks and hugs!

December 1, 2010 at 6:31 PM

 
Blogger Alison said...

What a total bummer - something we've all hoped won't happen and it's too bad for you when you would have had a fantastic race. Hard training can really mess with natural cycles and periods can be unpredictable because of that. Someday it will all be a funny memory...

December 2, 2010 at 9:25 AM

 
Blogger Bria said...

Ohhh BREE!!! That darn white KSwiss kit!! Who would have ever imagined?? As others have said, your attitude is amazing. Use this story to inspire someone else through a difficult time. Sounds like you were having a fab race otherwise. Your day is coming. I just know you are going to pull it all together very, very soon.

December 4, 2010 at 4:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home