Aloha!

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Back To Maui...

Today hurt, good. Feels like day 1 of EVER being an athlete of any kind. Today was the 3rd official, (more like unofficial), start of training again. In almost 6 weeks 12 training sessions and a local race, (just for the smack talk), is all I've done. Well, I've surfed, hiked, snorkeled, free dove, taken walks, and floated in the ocean too. But for the most part, the body took a giant break and today is starting all over again...
The day began here with a swim across the bay. This is one of our most deepest bays, amazing in so many ways, mysterious in a million other ways, and it holds A LOT of secrets and history! The only scary thing about this bay is swimming solo. EVERY TIME we go I do all I can to hold on. It's not like Kailua or anywhere else that I handle solo swimming without fear, this place is deep with dark stories of long ago that creep in my mind and entertain me in the worst ways sometimes. Like the start of most first days of "school" or "practice" I was in the wrong outfit! Half the crew was in speed suits and my bikini was drag suit all the way, the memo that is wasn't an easy swim of 2.5 miles never made it to me. Hanging on was all I could do till I was dropped (thank you lack of speed at the moment and fast crew). Endurance was mighty good and the distance was fine, but it hurt with that bunch of record breakers!
.
Matt and Jason waited for me not-so-lovingly. For sure I was thinking they were just nice guys but Jason reminded me I had the biggest @$$ of them all so he made sure to keep me as the shark bait. Love my friends!! It was nice to see where my swim fitness is at. Not totally lost after 5 swims in 6 weeks but man it's not where I like it to be. Till it's where I want it I'll just continue to trust in this giant off season with a purpose.
From there, yes the bottom of the bay, was a bike ride. The only place to go is up when you are at the bottom. The ride reminded me of where I am at this point...the bottom looking up. Time to dig up my fitness. SO we rode the nasty hills of South Loop. AS always, it's my favorite ride in all the state of Hawaii so I was all smiles, despite the fact I had to pull my rear up the hills with Jason's mouthful of jokes about how he can't see around my wide load! I'm not too worried about the off-season jokes either, more fuel for the fire baby! Again... I love my friends! NO KA OI!!!!!!
.
Tomorrow is a little run-swim-run action. That outta get my rear in gear! Alright, day one (again) is back in the books. It hurt good in many ways and I'm stoked on knowing it can only get better. As for Maui, I'm returning to the half marathon on that island. It's in less than 4 weeks so it should make for some good entertainment trying to bust out 13.1 miles from slippers to sneakers! To me, a 20 minute flight to go run with a bunch of friends on Maui, with aid stations, is the best way to dig out of the off-season and get in some base miles...
.
Night!!
Bree



5 Comments:

Blogger SSB said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 29, 2010 at 9:57 PM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

At least you can do open water swims! I look at the gulf every day and just shake my fist - cursing that the water is so cold this time of the year!

December 30, 2010 at 2:32 AM

 
OpenID itsagoodmorning said...

And so the season begins again! I'm also starting my training today. Got lots of training for a 50K in July.

Have fun in Maui! Keep those tropical pictures coming...we're under tons of snow with more snow and ice planned for tomorrow so I love to see the pics of the sun, green trees and the ocean!

December 30, 2010 at 6:49 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

You're inspiring me to jump in with both feet!

December 30, 2010 at 7:26 AM

 
Blogger rr said...

hmmm Maui half? I want to come!

December 30, 2010 at 11:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home