Aloha!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I Wore Out My Slippers...


This little face is brilliant and has kept me beyond full of the holiday spirit! Something about children and the way they simply believe & trust without a doubt, (like in Santa or anything else for that matter), the way the littlest thing makes them smile, how a light on a Christmas tree amazes them for nearly an hour, and how they get all giddy inside when they give baked goods to neighbors as if they just handed them the world...it makes me fall in love with life all over again this time of year having Kainoa show me how to really celebrate...
I am pooped though! Truth be told I'm way more tired in the off-season than I am during a 30+ hour training week! Oh don't get me wrong, all this free time is amazing as it fills with Christmas projects. My gels that once fueled long miles are now the satisfaction that comes with spending time with friends. One of my most exciting projects was helping as the "assistant photo director" on a photo shoot. LOVE it, I was calling out the shots as if I knew, "put your hip out, look to the ocean, put your hand up", it was so much fun! Photography and helping create photos seriously gets me fired up... getting on the other side of the camera, well...I like to ham it up too, like getting busted after the photo shoot sitting in a tree checking for how smelly my under arms got. Ahh, life on an island, working in a bikini...fun times!

NOW to the other Christmas project...
.
"Spreading Aloha to the Marshallese" is 2 weeks away today! It feels like Christmas in a way I can't even put into words. The amount of giving that I've been able to see roll in has me in full on belief that there are REALLY good people in the world. I'm so excited for that moment all the trucks roll into the Marshallese village and we jump out to make this Christmas happen in the lives of people that may not even feel any love or support at all in their lives. The children smiling, playing, laughing, and we get to hug them all. It's gonna be tears pouring on a lot of faces for sure.
We have gifts stacked in piles, shoes collected by the dozens, mountains of clothes and toys boxed up ready to go, and donations ready to be put to good use. Yesterday my slippers walked their last miles trying to get this project ready to launch. From the time I left my ocean swim it was directly to picking up boxes that were sent to Bike Works, from there the post office where they told me, "Bree, you have to drive around back, we pretty much have an entire load for your truck". That was VERY cool as Ive never seen the back of a post office and having THAT MANY boxes! Then a quick trip to the bank, more wrapping paper, tape, and fuel! I was bonking beyond words driving all over the West Side collecting all the packages! Oh it didn't end there, I laced up the shoes for a little run and was then off to the airport! This is what blows my mind...
.
A very lovely couple in Vegas had a flight to use up before the end of the year. The cost of sending nearly 300 pounds of clothes would have been outrageous, so a flight was booked and at 6pm I was at the airport meeting up with Jim and his massive pounds of clothes that his lovely Pam told him to give to the Marshallese! Yes, he flew all the way here to drop them off with his flight that was less than the cost of shipping! The least I could do was take him for eats, because yes, he did get right back on that plane 2 hours later and fly home after giving us all those clothes! At 7:30 I made it back home and the slippers were dead from moving and grooving all day long, (Santa, new slippers please!)
.
Yep, Christmas is cool like that... it causes people to do amazing things, believe with all their hearts, and smile just because.
Alright... time to get outside, after another trip to Bike Works. No joke, just got the news that over 18 wrapped up shoe boxes for the children have showed up from Katherine English on the mainland! Holy cow.... this just gets bigger and better! Whoever doesn't believe in Christmas miracles better meet us December 23 down in Ocean View at the Marshallese village, it's gonna be GOOD.
.
Bree



8 Comments:

Blogger Kiet said...

Wow, that story about the couple flying in from Vegas, that's a good story. And 18 boxes from one person, yikes! I waited in the post office line for close to 90 minutes (yeah, that's how things roll around here in Oakland) on Monday but you should be getting my box in about 6 days. Bree, thanks for putting all of this together, it really does make the holidays feel doubly special.

December 8, 2010 at 3:21 PM

 
Blogger Stephanie Boeckmann said...

I love that about kids, if only adults didnt loose so much of their child-like behavior, not childish but child-like, this world would be a better place. They forgive quickly, trust, able to smile at the littlest things, and the unconditional love that they spread. They truly are beautiful! SO excited for your Marshallese project, its rock' n' rollin'!! I would love to help out and possibly help deliver on the 23rd if I don't have to work.. Is it okay if Santa's Helper comes along? Keep staying beautiful and child-like, the world is a better place because of that!

December 8, 2010 at 6:12 PM

 
Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

Aloha Bree...good job sister! You are the best Hawaiian Santa an islander could ever wish for!

December 9, 2010 at 6:30 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

If only i could get on that plane to Hawai'i!!! I'd be there helping you carrying all that stuff:-)

December 9, 2010 at 11:27 PM

 
Blogger marian said...

hey bree, did you move your paypal button?

December 10, 2010 at 4:01 AM

 
Blogger BreeWee said...

marian we never set up a paypal... sorry, just tryin to keep it all so simple... checks are written to UNKF as they are helping with the tax exempt forms.

December 10, 2010 at 9:23 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Bree, you are amazing.

December 10, 2010 at 10:11 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Agree... you are amazing (like that song by Bruno Mars)! :) Love reading about your Santa project. Wish I could hop on a plane from Chicago to help you out! What a beautiful thing to do for that village... keep smiling and being you!!!

December 20, 2010 at 5:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home