Aloha!

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ride, Run, "Swim"...

This is the end of a really good day (see above). It began here, just watching the surf on the way to the hill where I'd be doing repeats on the bike. Part of me really wanted to paddle out and wake up in the salty water of the Pacific. The other part of me wanted to go work hard training and try to bust through the lack luster results I've seem to grown all to familiar with. A few more waves rolled in and after scanning the horizon I felt overly fortunate that there are so many things I am passionate about in life and that today I would be doing most all of them, beginning with the bike...
.
Up and down the hills I went, like a young girl on her bike...giddy about life and all that has captured her heart. Then there was the tomboy in me that was chasing after her goals in hopes this day, these efforts on the climbs, would bring her a day closer to them, to something more.
.
From the ride to a run. Before slipping into the run shoes I rode past the surf, again. My heart just wanted so much to be there, it didn't matter if the waves were too big for me, (it was a really big day, almost big enough to hold the Eddie), it wasn't the safest place to be for the fearful, but it was exactly where I love to be. The midst of pure ocean at it's most beautiful...
.
The run was perfect. One of those runs where you feel like you could go forever and ever. In that zone, that moment, the feeling of "this is what I do and I love it". A smile sweeped over my face and from there, an easy ocean swim as recovery was all that this day of training had left for me.
As luck would have it, Mother Nature smiled down on me. The beaches of Big Island were closed to swimmers, snorkelers, and beach goers alike. Perfect. That meant one thing only, surf and call it "swimming". Coach was okay with it and he lovingly warned not to break anything. It felt more like swimming than surfing today as the waves were so big and so powerful. Over and over I would paddle my heart out in the direction of breaking waves just barely sneaking under them as they wrecked havoc on everything in their path.
Sitting in the line up, looking back to shore, it was nearly a perfect day. Hard work paid off and was gifted by sheer ocean joy. It was perhaps my most difficult swim of the week too. Some of the waves were beyond fierce and I let them roll by, some took my bikini by storm, and others gave me that smile that you couldn't wipe off my face if you tried...
Coach will most likely delight in my training day report to find I survived swim practice without a scratch. My arms hurt like never before from all the paddling and my skin has been kissed by the sunshine. My legs are equally as sore from the ride and run. Tonight will be nothing but sweet dreams after this day of ride, run, "swim"...
.
Bree
sweet dreams....



5 Comments:

Blogger Oscarjet said...

Gracias Amiga !! tus fotos me hacen soñar en estos dias tan oscuros y frios en Barcelona...

January 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM

 
Blogger JenniferLeah said...

beautiful. You are one lucky gal :)

January 21, 2011 at 3:06 AM

 
Blogger Clair said...

So beautiful. Glad you enjoyed your "swim."

January 21, 2011 at 6:42 AM

 
OpenID itsagoodmorning said...

Sounds amazing! Wishing I was in warm Hawaii than here in -17*! At least I can read about the warm sunshine and water.

January 21, 2011 at 7:51 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

1 degree celsius in the sun today, where I am!!!! and -17C sounds even worst. BRRRrrrrrrr!

Bree do you ever get scared of the huge waves? Enjoy the sea but take care :-)

January 21, 2011 at 10:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home