Aloha!

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Do It Like The First Time...

.Yesterdays children's tri-clinic. Only one little athlete showed up but she is the reason behind this post. Her only focus was to go race and she was lovin' it...
.
This time tomorrow I will be finishing up the run of my first triathlon of the season. Having took that massive break, the off-season/recovery season/unwind season/regroup/back to the drawing board, (whatever you like to call it season), it feels like a long enough time to go without racing. Let’s get this season started!
.
I’m not a big fan of looking back except to move forward. Let’s take a quick peek back, my last race of the season was a DNF. Not too exciting, at all. The one and only thing I can feel okay about that is knowing I’m at the very bottom so the only way to go is up. Seriously, I just can’t get worse than that. That leaves me with only one feeling, how it felt at the beginning of all of this triathlon life of mine.
.
Reminisce back to your very first triathlon. I’m betting you didn’t even think about what kind of shape you were in (off season, in season, tapered, rested, over trained). I’m guessing the bike you road, the outfit you raced in, the run shoes you wore, maybe even a snorkel mask in the swim, didn’t stop you from getting on the start line with good feelings. I bet you just wanted to be there with or without care of what others were thinking. You were about to race a triathlon! My first one was hilarious! Literally hilarious! And you better believe I love each and every moment of it.
.
I was of course, in a 2 piece. During the swim I swam next to a friend, side by side, stroke for stroke. Never knew of drafting, I just wanted to swim next her ‘cause she had raced once before I trusted she knew where to turn (never mind what the buoys were for). The hilarious part is the fact it was a sprint yet my bike was set for an Ultraman. I had 3 bottles, a bento box filled to the top with food, an aero bottle with sport drink, and the gels of course taped to the top tube. I knew nothing more than to go, go, go and that people usually use food in racing. I’m pretty sure I never touched any food. The run began only after I found my bike (that I lost) in transition. Of course a race belt was not on my “must have list” back then and I tied the strap from my backpack around my waist and called it good. Cussing through the entire run, reassuring myself I’d survive and can cross triathlon off my “to do before I die” list, I finished. Then something wonderful happened, the most gigantic smile ever beamed across my face and I was on top of the world wondering when I can do another one.
.
No way, I was not even close to winning the thing. I wasn’t one of those girls that ran or swam in college then landed in triathlon and just was amazing from the start. Nobody in my family had ever done one either. I just loved it so much and that was pretty much all I had going for me, like I REALLY loved it. Thought about it, talked about it, read about it every chance I got. Triathlon was amazing. From that first race to my DNF last race so much has gotten in the way, mostly me.

I am so excited to rack my bike tomorrow morning, to swim like the first time I swam, to ride as if I know what I’m doing, (this time without the ultraman fuel), then to run to the point I’m cussing at myself, just like in that first race, (that should be easy, the run is pretty darn sandy tomorrow). Back to day one is the coolest feeling, starting all over again, nothing to lose.
To all the REV3 triathletes tomorrow, hope your day is nothing but lovin’ it, kinda like your first triathlon…

Bree




12 Comments:

Blogger Christi said...

Have a great race Bree! I am rooting for ya!

February 19, 2011 at 5:34 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Have the MOST AMAZING Day tomorrow! Thinking of you and how much you inspire me! GooooooGooooooGOOOOOO!

February 19, 2011 at 6:57 AM

 
Blogger Nicole said...

I would really like to hear your perspective on running. I'm horrible at it. How did you get from the beginning to where you are now? Did you just train your heart out? I hated running growing up (you know, when they made you do it in school...) and now I want to have a loving relationship with it, I guess you could say. How did you do it?

February 19, 2011 at 7:50 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

I had a panic attack during the swim on my first triathlon (a sprint distance at the london tri). Ato think that the swim is my favourite bit these days:-) in fact i love swim starts, seed myself right in the middle where all the push and shove is and I must be the only nutter who loves the feeling of jelly legs at the start of the run. Like you, triathlon just got hold of me and i can't even explain why i love it so much but I do! i think it's the people, the adrenaline, and the fact that it's 3 sports. i never tire of it. you're going to have a gresat race.
Ps: is that Hillary with you? I also follow her blog, you 2 girls have a great time. i'm loving all the pics.
By the way, i ended up making your pumpkin pie recepie for the cycling club and there were only 3 small slices left:-) they liked it and somone even commented on nice it tasted but they coudln't really identify the main ingredients. the apple pie recepie is lovely too, but a bit too crumbly to be eaten standing uo and holding coffee. cheers Bree:-)

February 19, 2011 at 9:04 AM

 
Blogger Kiersten said...

I'm sure your help meant the world to that one little girl. I wish I was there with you and my Rev3/Trakkers family, and hope you have an amazing race tomorow. Thanks for sharing all the awesome pics for those of us living vicariously back in the states.

February 19, 2011 at 9:51 AM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

Have a great race, Bree! I will be there in spirit for sure!

February 19, 2011 at 11:01 AM

 
Blogger kakes773 said...

Buena suerte, Bree!

February 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM

 
Blogger Furacán said...

Suerte!

February 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM

 
Blogger Jennifer Harrison said...

HAVE a great race to kick off your season!! :)

February 19, 2011 at 4:12 PM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Just saw some of your race start and transition live video feed! So exciting!!! You looked so ready to go and inspiring, Bree!! Way to place 5th, you are amazing! CONGRATS!!!! Can't wait to hear all about it in your blog. Celebrate now, super mom! :)

February 20, 2011 at 8:10 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Just seen you finished 5th! what a way to start the season bree. that's brilliant. enjoy a couple fo margaritas and dance some salsa girl! you deserve it

February 20, 2011 at 12:12 PM

 
Blogger G said...

Muy inspirador! :)

February 20, 2011 at 5:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home