Aloha!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

I Just Love This Place, This Race, This Sport, This Life...

REV3 Costa Rica is now in my top 3 favorite races, ever. Seriously it was one of the best race experiences of my sporting life. The crew they reved up down here, the course they laid out, all of it just had me so fired up to jump back into sport. Sport events in Central America aren't usually the most smooth sailing so of course getting around was bumpy and you guessed it, the race was bumpy!
.
This race I had LOTS of goals. #1 Finish, (you know my last race was DNF so of course to finish means I'm already improving upon last season). I've been working on my swim more now that the ribs are totally healed and Coach came to Hawaii to bike with me earlier this year in a little bike focus. #2 Hold onto those Olympic fish swimmers for as long as possible. #3 Ride that damn bike the way I was riding with coach. #4 Run all the way to the finsish as fast as I can. You know, this race is Olympic distance, there really isn't much thinking, just GOOOOOOOING as fast as you can 'cause its short!
.
The bump of the swim was is being slightly longer than a half iron distance swim, but I could spend all day in the ocean so no worries. 2 loops, I held onto the lead pack the first loop and was stoked about that, the second loop when we got out of the water to run around a buoy then run back in was a disaster for me. Totally faded, died like a dog, but hung on to a chase pack and got off on the bike with a goal-get to the front.
.
Being a short race and not very confident in my run YET, I knew to have any chance of a podium with these girls I'd have to bike my heart out, literally. I just rode hard. Came back into T2 second with a couple girls from the front pack and the fastest bike split. I'll take that and needed it to keep from being eaten alive by the girls behind me. Leaving T2 with 3 women and all I saw were their butts. This is what I was expecting, not hoping, but expecting. My focus became holding my position. It wasn't easy and I forced myself to try to catch up to the butts in front of me so I wouldn't just settle for my spot (that can be too easy to do). Finished up 5th. No complaints here, lots to work on, LOTS learned, and a payday in Costa Rica-sweet!
and post race.... la playa. We borrowed some boards and played at Tamarindo. It was all sorts of fun and just the recovery we were aiming for after the race. REV3, super job with the event! For sure this is going to be on my list for next year!

LOVE this view, I will really miss Costa Rica. Beyond thankful to have been able to race here and begin the season here...



Tomorrow it is home-sweet-home and even though I love this place and hold it close to my heart, there is no place like home. Thanks a lot for the cheers, the support, and taking a minute to read this (or just look at pictures), means the world to me. And a giant shout out to REV3 for a first class event and of course that help me to make it all possible, I could not do it without you...
.
Adios from Costa Rica,
Bree



15 Comments:

Blogger Kiersten said...

So glad to hear that the race was awesome. I love Rev3 (ok, I'm on their AG team, but love their races), and am so happy to hear about another successful race. Congratulations on your finish. Thanks for sharing so much of your Costa Rica experience with us!

February 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

Awesome race Bree! I feel like you are going to have an awesome season this year. It seems like all the pieces are starting to come together for some more awesome finishes.

And of course I'm extra glad that you are having a blast while doing it all.

February 20, 2011 at 5:11 PM

 
Blogger marian said...

congratulations, bree! and more and better to come!

February 20, 2011 at 6:47 PM

 
Blogger Sue said...

and thank you Ms Bree for sharing it with us! You make us happy and thats what really makes our lives go round and round!! Sounds like you had a good time surfing:) xoxo

February 20, 2011 at 8:47 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Congrats!!!!!

February 21, 2011 at 12:20 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Glad it all went so well. Love the "pinhole" camera pics. I am looking forward to your next race!
Our son says he will go to Costa Rica in June with a classmate from there. Hope he gets to visit some of the same places as you did. He doesn't speak Spanish, but hopefully he can find someone who speaks Chinese.

February 21, 2011 at 2:53 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

I'm so pleased for you. what brilliant way to shake off the cobwebs. i just wish my triathlons were as colourful and sunny as yours in cr! Thank you for all the great pics. i want to go to costa rica too

February 21, 2011 at 3:07 AM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

Well done!!

February 21, 2011 at 3:10 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Great job Bree!

February 21, 2011 at 4:47 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

just noticed your suit sayd kainoa on the back!so cool and the colour looks really nice as the turquoise really stands out

February 21, 2011 at 8:11 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Awesome Bree! So happy for your strong race and finish!!!

February 21, 2011 at 12:05 PM

 
Blogger Furacán said...

Congrats Bree, good job!

February 21, 2011 at 1:54 PM

 
Blogger TriEric said...

Awesome racing Bree. Love that first picture...and not because it's hawt triathlete butts...well maybe.

Love seeing Kainoa's name on your kit. He is always with you.

February 21, 2011 at 3:33 PM

 
Blogger The Lazy Triathlete said...

You did great!!! I just looked at the results.

February 23, 2011 at 10:16 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Finally getting caught up here. Congratulations on hitting your #1 goal for this race and for cracking out the #1 bike split. That is so awesome! So now it is all about getting that run down. You can do it.

March 6, 2011 at 4:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home