Aloha!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Last Ride on My Argon 18....

Ive been really, really fortunate to have been with the Argon18 crew for the last 2 seasons. I've loved my bike, let me repeat, I LOVE my bike, we have really bonded over the hundreds of miles and from this island to all over the world. SO, when the offer was given to ride for the team again this season and next, I said yes. It was an easy choice as the team, the bike, and the reps I respect so much. But then something happened. The man behind the scenes, the one who took me under his wing and became like family to me switched bike companies. With his switch (as in the tri world there is a lot of switching around) I was a little torn. Love the bike, love the man behind the bike, and soon I had an offer for another bike...
.
Swift Carbon is the other bike. After a long time thinking and researching and asking, I made the jump with the bike manager who has helped me so much the last 2 seasons. Let me tell you how much I trust him, Ive never even heard of this bike until a month ago. What's my point? Every now and then you get really fortunate to have amazing people in your life that you just "trust" and that's what I did. It was getting on the Argon18 team that I learned of having such a great group of people to be supported by. Anyways, I have a new bike coming and knew my race in Costa Rica would be my last race on the Argon18. I also knew it was then going to a new home.
.
My beloved bike has been bought and today I am supposed to send it away to a lovely girl on the mainland. All the parts, the new seat, the bars, my camo bar wrap, all to her. Happy the bike has found a new home (though it may be cold weather). Anyways, this morning I wanted one last ride on "Brenda's" bike to make sure its working perfect from the Costa Rica travel and just because. Something in me said, "no, its hers and I didn't ask", but I set out for 3 hours and decided to give her my favorite Argon 18 "kalani is wikiwiki" shirt that was specially made for me as a "mahalo" for letting me borrow it one last ride...
It felt wonderful to be cruising at home along the Kona Coast. One of those feel good rides. Let me just clue you in for a quick second, I'm the kind of girl that has guy friends that make butt comments, sometimes spank your butt on the pool deck or when they pass you running. I laugh, its them, guys/friends I know, sort of like being one of the boys in the locker room. And because I know them I know they respect me and wouldn't do that if they didn't know me like they do. Okay, that said, if a stranger does it I'm not a fan-at all. Here we go...
.
Cruising about 25 miles from home a man on a moped drives by slowly, stops, waits for me to pass. I pass. He drives by again, slows, smiles, and gives me a thumbs up. I give him a thumbs up thinking he is just paying a compliment that I'm jammin' pretty good out there. He then waits for me and says, "Good going, you look really strong, how far you going?" I say thanks and keep riding, he goes ahead. Then he stops and waits and literally rides next to me for about 2 miles. Like RIGHT next to me. He starts to get really close and I move over closer to the traffic cause I'm afraid he is going to get to close and knock me over, I am totally ignoring him and try to move faster. He then reaches out and grabs my butt. I scream and sit up out of aero position and tell him to stop and get away. He says, "I'm sorry, I just wanted to feel your butt while you ride." I'm more creeped out then ever and tell him to get away and then I slow in hopes he will stay ahead. He slows and gets so close I am in traffic now while he is reaching for me, he says,"can I grab you again?" I tell him get away, then he grabs my butt and sends me into traffic. At this point I'm so freaked out, no way will I stop, I'm scared he is going to knock me out. He goes away and I keep riding.
.
I'm not sure why I kept riding, I just did, I was in shock of what happened. Then I turn back towards home and he starts coming at me from the other direction. By this point I am so scared so I stop near a light and call for help, he continues to go back and forth, stop and go. I'm now scared, joke is over. Finally I get a ride home and the cops are looking for the weirdo. The above picture is my best drawing of him, if you see him be sure to notify the cops in Kona...
.
It has been a ridiculous waste of a beautiful day dealing with this man. He has not only robbed me of a beautiful ride but has a picture of me now and is looking for me. I'm a girl who enjoys riding alone every now and then, Ive never been nervous, ever, until this day. I'm not sure how I should or shouldn't have handled this situation, it was a new one for me. For the rest of the week though I'm stuck on a trainer in while this pervert is out there mopeding around. Ive also traded my sunglasses (those pink ones, so if anyone wants them you can have them), and I'm going to use a different helmet, I don't want to be the girl in a silver helmet with pink shades to him anymore. The positive thing was that I was on the Argon18 and my good ol' trusty bike kept me safe when I was moved into traffic on the second butt grab, and the bike is now moving to the mainland so no local girls on the island will be recognized with it while the weirdo wanders around.
.
As for my new bike, it will be here soon and I'm going to borrow my sisters bike, on the trainer of course. Don't worry, when my new ride arrives you all will be the first to receive a photo of it.
.
Ride safe...
Bree



24 Comments:

Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Bree - what a perve! Stay safe Chica, there is a little Dude that needs his momma. What an A$$ for taking away someone's freedom, it SO unfortunate that THOSE people are out there. Glad you are home safe!
Hugs!

February 23, 2011 at 6:59 PM

 
Blogger James said...

Pepper spray will work great and fits in bento bag. They got it at Sports Authority.

J Beach

February 23, 2011 at 8:53 PM

 
Blogger marian said...

bree, i am so sorry that happened.
you did use your voice, and you did call on your resources. those are very important strategies.

good you reported him. something similar happened to me when i was 18, except it was on a dark road and he grabbed my crotch. i screamed and swore at him, and he left. i did have to cycle home though...
i did report him, and he did get caught.
this was one of the reasons i became a self-defense teacher.

stay safe! and may that guy get caught soon.

February 23, 2011 at 10:11 PM

 
Blogger Va'aHine said...

OMG Bree...whats a nutz story. I have to say, I laughed out load when you first said he grabbedyour butt because I was sure you were joking...when I relaized you weren't, it wasn't so funny anymore. That happened to me on the trolley in San Fran when I was 14...damn creeps in this world. If you were serious about your Pink shades, I'll take em off your hands! Love your blog...keeps me moving forward on what seems to be that far away goal to complete the ironman...I know I will though. Mahalo Nui.

February 24, 2011 at 12:35 AM

 
Blogger PocoLocoMan said...

Glad that you didn't get hurt... Sincerely hope that they catch him and prosecute him fully. That's not just being a jerk, that's dangerous and abusive.

February 24, 2011 at 2:56 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

What a creep! I hope they find him real soon so you can get back to your carefree island girl riding!

February 24, 2011 at 4:25 AM

 
Blogger The Lazy Triathlete said...

Kevin's simple advice -- never trust a man with two first names or a man that rides a moped.

February 24, 2011 at 4:27 AM

 
Blogger gcckjs said...

Unclip one foot, take focused aim, and push kick the end of his handlebar with all of your power. Seriously, fight this fool with fire.
-Kevin

February 24, 2011 at 4:59 AM

 
Blogger Clair said...

Wow, that's scary. So glad you're OK. I hope the cops track him down soon!

February 24, 2011 at 5:58 AM

 
Blogger tinaparker87 said...

I'm thinking pepper spray on you somewhere too. Never let them see you are scared and kick him where it hurts first.

Just put Thomas in Taekondo last night. They have adult classes. I'm sure available in Kona somewhere.

P.S. you could send the oink glasses to me. Just thinking of purchasing some before Utah.

February 24, 2011 at 10:06 AM

 
Blogger Xocas said...

Sad story! Good news are you're safe at home.

February 24, 2011 at 12:07 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

That is seriously messed up. I am so relieved that you are ok. Fingers crossed that the cops find this lunatic and lock him away. Take care my friend.

February 24, 2011 at 2:07 PM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

Yeah! Can't WAIT to see your new bike!

I had some total creep come up to me while running in Jax Beach today. Usually all about chatting with other runners - but this guy gave me the total creeps. And after I lost him, I wondered if he was related to your scooter creep :)

February 24, 2011 at 3:05 PM

 
Blogger Damie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM

 
Blogger Damie said...

Congrats on the sponsorship and new family. But, WTF! I am so sorry. I have had similar experiences and they ruin this small part of life. I will come down there and kick his ass. I am so sorry. Bring your mace next time. I am so mad for you.

February 24, 2011 at 3:45 PM

 
Blogger Kiet said...

Hey Chica, don't let him rob you of your life on the island. You are so freaking tuff and strong, you'll take him out any day, you just gotta find your inner ninja! I say arm yourself and get back out on those roads, this punk is not going to make you live in fear. You know way too many people in Kona and they all got your back.

February 24, 2011 at 7:53 PM

 
Blogger chr15 said...

I want to swear here, but realise that you have other readers.

I also want to apologise on behalf of guys, but realise that it is not my place to apologise for this idiot (nearly swore again), he does not represent us, and you know that. But I am sorry that it has made (understandably) nervous.

There is some great advice here but above all stay safe, and don't do anything that may bring reprisals, but don't ever let this incident hurt your attitude, what we all love about you, not in your own back yard. We've all got your back.

Maybe ride with some guys/girls for a few sessions. If you see this guy again you'll be with people, if not maybe it was a one off.

February 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

That SUCK, SUCKS, SUCKS!!!!!!

A very similar thing happened to my sister, two guys in a truck slowed down and drove next to her nearly pushing her off the road and then one of them slapped her on her butt. Not nice at all.

We both now ride with pepper spray and I have a taser (small and looks like a cell phone). The pepperspray we have is specifically for cyclists and fits over the top tube of your bike and then velcros on and off for easy grabbing.

It is just crap that you even have to think about such things though, and to be robbed of just riding. Hopefully the police get him.

February 25, 2011 at 2:32 AM

 
Blogger Jocelyn Hughes said...

Sheesh, glad you're safe, sorry to hear about that! You have great support, I think I should get some mace, too, God forbid I ever need it.
You're a huge inspiration to me, thanks for your honesty and winning attitude.
God bless ya!

February 25, 2011 at 9:59 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

Congratulations on the new bike sponsor (super lucky company to have you on their wheels)!

So sorry you have had to deal with this situation all day....you are strong and Kiet says it perfectly (how does he always come up with the perfect words!)

Big hugs! Stay safe!

tn

February 25, 2011 at 10:58 AM

 
Blogger Christy said...

Scary especially on a bike going fast! Very glad you are safe. Same happened to me & a friend. The guy chased us back & forth but, didn't grab us as we hid. My hubby understood its seriousness. As you said, we were way out up in the mountains. (We don't live in Hawaii) Hope they find him. It's no laughing matter! Glad you are getting a new bike.

February 25, 2011 at 2:45 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

oh bree, what a weirdo, unfortunately most of us females have had to face some sort of harrasment at some point in our lives. what creeps me out is that he started out with a normal conversation, persumably to engage you in conversation, and then BANG! the sick behaviour comes out.... you did everything right. you shouted back you kept moving, you called for help and reported him...AND you have your very own bodyguard now:-) your little Kainoa will track him down one day and will kick HIS butt. take care!

February 26, 2011 at 6:52 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

and by the way! pepper srap may be legal the US but here in europe is a criminal offence to carry it, so here#s a tip for when you're training abroad and you don't know if you can use the pepper spray. Use a mini can of hairspray and spray it in the eyes of the attacker. you won't be prossecuted if you admit you need to have it with you to touch up your hairdo. keep safe and within the law girls

February 26, 2011 at 6:55 AM

 
Blogger Tristan said...

Gah! Scary story...
And also... since you posted this, if he is still stalking you, and if he ever does come across your blog... now he knows your name and a lot of personal stuff about you!!!
So watch out for that too Bree girl,
Stay safe on those Kona roads, loved the recent story about Kainoa surfing.
Bless and Love
Jess

March 5, 2011 at 8:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home