Aloha!

Saturday, February 26, 2011

No Ka Oi...

Today was simply the best ocean day of my entire life. For someone (me) who loves all things ocean more than just about anything, anywhere this is a major statement, and I mean it with all my heart & soul. Today Kainoa and I surfed together. For real surf, like rode waves all the way to shore, together.
Let's back up...this (see above) was Kainoa after his daddy and him had a little surf accident last year. In all things life, love, and sport, "accidents happen". This happened and it hurt me maybe more than it hurt Kainoa. He recovered nicely but seeing that little face stitched up crushed me and I never again mentioned surfing. Id surf, Id tell him about it, but I never tried to get him back in the water, as he had some fears to shake off. Made some wishes on stars that one day he would want back on a board and hoped with all my heart that we would surf together, then left it at that...
Yesterday he said, "Mom, we should go surf tomorrow." I about broke my own ears shouting in joy, that was music to this momma's ears! Without a thought "YES!!" popped out of my mouth and the arrangement for a beach day was in the making, WE WERE GOING SURFING, Kainoa was getting back on the board! Talk about proud!
.
Walking together to the ocean our smiles were both beaming, he was so ready. We paddled out, got in the line up, I told him to hold on, and before long we were on our first wave. I got up and he stayed laying down. As a mom you can sense when your child is just "testing the water". He wasn't ready to stand, that's cool. I reassured him we are together and the ocean is his friend, the safest spot on Earth. Next wave, paddle-paddle-paddle, I get up and he gets up! Kainoa stood and we were both up together riding the same wave on the same board just beaming with smiles! A group of guys on shore smiled and applauded us, it was incredible!
Kainoa was surfing again! After that wave he was addicted, he wanted another after another and we caught another after another. The bigger waves, the smaller ones, the ones with a face and the ones just a wall of white wash all had him excited. It was the best day in the ocean, no ka oi!!


It was a good day, a really good day here on the island. Nothing like home and the life that I am so blessed to live. As for training, I road bike AGAIN on the trainer. Its getting more fun than I imagined it could be after so many outdoor rides. Not able to say I "love it" but I do like it. Of course no Saturday is complete without the market, so we landed there too...
3 weeks from today is San Juan 70.3. Lots more swimbikerunning to go and this day totally fired me up to keep on going even when the board is shakey, you fall off, or simply paddling out is a challenge. Happy training!!
.
Bree



8 Comments:

Blogger Sheryl said...

You made me cry! So glad it was a good day with your son!

February 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

AWESOME! Way to go little Dude! look at the pride in your eyes Chica! Awesome, awesome, awesom!

February 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

This makes my heart sing.

February 27, 2011 at 8:11 PM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

oh, that is so awesome! Congrats to him. So brave.

February 27, 2011 at 11:41 PM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I'm going to keep my boys away from this post. Their just dying to go to Cocoa Beach to surf... if they see this.....

I had a wild thought on the ass grabber. Do you know if Lance or Jimmy are still on the island?? :) The artist rendering you did looked familiar to me...

February 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

DIOS MIO !! deseamos que Kaino se recupere rapido y vuelva a surfear sobre las olas de KONA! besos y muchos abracitos !!!!!!!!

March 3, 2011 at 9:45 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

So precious! Made me think of Crush from Finding Nemo... how he might say "righteous, Little Dude!" :) Way to go, Kainoa! He's getting big, btw... goes too fast!! (I have a six year old baby, way too fast!) Happy surfing and training over there... and thx for inspiring us with your beautiful pics!

March 3, 2011 at 6:47 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Loved, loved, loved that picture of Kainoa standing up on the surf board. By the way, I am jealous of you getting to go to San Juan. You are going to do great!

March 6, 2011 at 4:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home