Aloha!

Monday, February 14, 2011

This post has less to do with triathlon and more to do with taking off my bra...


On the plane to Costa Rica wishing to be in my pajamas, I’ve got 9 more hours on this flight alone, one long adventure worth of airplanes, airports, and travel. Far too long to be in anything more than pajamas for this overnight part . I just took off my bra, that’s as close as ill get to my pj’s. Its also a big deal for me to take off my bra since my boobs are less than stellar post-baby. However, I'm just thankful to have boobs even if these suckers belong in a push up bra.

Speaking of boobs I’m once again reminded of my first trip to Costa Rica. My boobs didn’t even exist way back then. In fact a training bra wasn’t even needed. It was the summer of awkwardness, think pre puberty, goofy body changes and all. Not even sure if I had French kissed a boy by that stage of life, what on Earth were my parents thinking letting me go away for the summer as such a kid. All I cared about was surfing, the beach, and my friends. Looking pretty, make up, even brushing my hair never made my to-do list as a teeny bopping girl.
.
I met a boy that summer, he taught me all about big waves and life in a developing country. I was fascinated by both. In true tomboy fashion my surf trunks were longer than his, really. Goofy, clumsy, and boobless best described me. However, at 15, that very summer my surf trunks were traded for itty bitty bikinis. On the beaches of Playa Dominical I discovered it takes more than boobs to fill a bikini. It takes confidence, belief in yourself, and the ability and appreciation to know and accept who you are and what you got. Big discoveries for a young girl…
.
Now sitting on the plane braless, I’m reassured of that quiet confidence I love as I return to the very place I learned never to be ashamed of who I am. In fact, the last time I walked the beaches of Costa Rica was December 2008, in the return search of my own inner confidence after divorce shattered hopes and dreams. I’m not sure I even know the exact amount of times my feet have landed along Costa Rican beaches, I just know its been a lot, a ton, as many times as I need to. Each time I’m reminded of the 15 year old who traded surf trunks made for a boy with bikinis made for a girl. Its totally fitting that my first triathlon of the season will be in Costa Rica. There is no better place for me to begin another season then the place I began to believe in the beauty of dreams.

I don’t claim to be the best (or worst) at anything other than living my own life all the way. In Hawaii there is a saying about people that just never give up even in struggle, losing battles, or when it feels like you are swimming against the tides (all too familiar for me some days). Its like the ulua fish of the deep sea here in Hawaiian waters, he just keeps on living his fishy life, doing his thing, a challenge to be caught (or stopped) . It goes like this….”’A’ohe ia e loa’a aku, he ulua kapapa no ka moana”. Seriously this flight is long, but oh so worth it. Life is like that right? The greater the accomplishment or thing worth grasping the more challenging it is to arrive at such a spot. I'm sort of amazed that I'm heading to Costa Rica with my bike and not my board, this is a life that at 15 if you even mentioned triathon I'd ask what it is, and when you told me I'd tell you that is friggen crazy. I have fallen in love with crazy...
.
Next stop Costa Rica, I'll keep you posted on the REV3 scene and do what I can with sharing the views. Lots of Aloha,
Bree



11 Comments:

Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

E pili mau nā pōmaika'i me 'oe
We'll be watching.

February 15, 2011 at 7:33 AM

 
Blogger Kiet said...

Channel that love chica and turn it into energy for your racing. You got this, just go out and execute and do what you do every day on the Big Island.

February 15, 2011 at 7:41 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Bree i had the ooposite experience to you as a teenager as i was the first girl to wear a bra in my school. I've always had far too much to fill the bikini top and this is not a boast as I would swap them for a smaller pair quite happily...much to my husband's dismay.
It's great that CR has lots of meaning to you, not just another race place. Going back will bring some of those good memories to life and you'll be able to draw a lot of energy from it come race day. I usually look at that little map at the back of the seat to see where the plane is and how long have we got to get there....are you really blogging form the plane? up in the sky? doesn't that interfere with the navigation system?

February 15, 2011 at 9:27 AM

 
Blogger :(&) said...

Bree-
I love the way you write. It's beautiful. Thank you for keeping this blog and living your life the way you do. You are, as always, an inspiration in so many ways.

February 15, 2011 at 12:47 PM

 
Blogger Tiffcincy said...

I know how you feel. I had the same experience when I went to Mexico in college. I really enjoy reading your blogs. In your writing you come across as grounded person with amazing values, that is comfortable is comfortable in her own skin. I think that is awesome and rare to see. Buena suerte, Bree!

February 15, 2011 at 2:59 PM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

How exciting! I am in awe of your love for tri's and how you put your heart and soul into it... and how you have such a beautiful life. Loved hearing about your younger days and dreams... keep dreaming, Bree! You will catch them, you are inspiring! Rock it at REV3! ;)

February 15, 2011 at 7:11 PM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Go Ms. Bree! Live your Dream! Kick some booty out there too! That picture is beautiful! BELIEVE:)

February 15, 2011 at 7:28 PM

 
Blogger The Lazy Triathlete said...

I wasn't sure what to expect when I read the title. :)

I remember my first coming of age experience at the beach. I haven't thought about that in YEARS. I may have to write about it. Spoiler alert -- i did not wear a bikini.

February 16, 2011 at 4:09 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

Amazing post Bree. I won't lie. I wasn't expecting a post about boobs, bras and bikinis to be so deep and inspirational, but I loved it.

Say hi to Carole, Krista and the rest of the Rev3 crew for me!

February 17, 2011 at 3:05 AM

 
Blogger Roblynn said...

Welcome to CR and pura vida!

February 17, 2011 at 3:06 PM

 
Blogger Sue said...

this post of yours, just what my girlie of 14 needs at this time in her lil life, it shall be printed and left on her bed to read when she gets home tonight from sking:) thks for that..xo

February 18, 2011 at 9:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home