Aloha!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

How To Make a Lei by Kainoa Wee


My mom is cleaning her bike so I told her I'd write the blog tonight. Living surrounded by puas (flowers) it's a favorite hobby of mine to string them together and make a lei. On the island we give them away to express our love to another person, it's also a "welcome greeting", and of course one of celebration at weddings & graduations. You know what baffles me? When I see them sold at Walmart from $7-$35 bucks! All of us kids on the island make our own FREE! It's so easy even a 4 year old can do it!
Lei's are made mostly out of plants, nuts, or flowers. However, I sometimes get one made out of candy on holidays! The most popular ones in Hawaii are awapuhi, hala, kupaloke, pua kenikeni, maile, melia, okika, keiki, orchid, ti leaf, and the easiest of all.... PLUMERIA!
.
To make the plumeria lei find a plumeria tree and pick the flowers. Told you this is easy! My mom thinks these smell the best so that's what I like to make her. I never worry if my colors match because she loves the hot pink plumeria the most but I can usually only find enough yellow or white ones. The pink ones grow too high for me to reach, if I find a couple on the ground she gets those mixed in...

Once you collect all the plumerias you want, grab some fishing line and a giant lei needle (don't worry, a lei needle is not as sharp as a typical sewing needle, it's totally kid safe). Put the flowers on the needle, string them down the fishing line till you have enough to fit over your head. Tie the line and you are pau! A little tip, if you don't have fishing line dental floss works super too!!
It's my bed time now, happy lei making!
Kainoa



7 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Thanks kainoa. Who would have known it was so easy to make a. Lei. A small problem for me... where am i going to find enough flowers. Can i make one of roses or daffodils;-)

March 22, 2011 at 10:44 PM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Thanks little Dude - I'm going to teach this to my little Dude next week when we are there! Your momma is lucky mom to have you:)

March 23, 2011 at 7:17 AM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Adorable! Thanks, Kainoa. :)

March 23, 2011 at 5:00 PM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Good job on writing Kainoa!! Now I see where your Mom gets her skill in writing!

March 24, 2011 at 2:50 AM

 
Blogger Furacán said...

Nice job Kainoa!

March 24, 2011 at 5:01 AM

 
Blogger Sue said...

you make me smile every single day! thanks for that in more ways than what i can say!! xo

March 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM

 
Blogger cobrada said...

I think when all of us visit the island for IM World Championships Kainona should make us all Lei's, and we can give him the K-Mart price to go towards their charitable christmas project.

March 25, 2011 at 5:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home