Aloha!

Friday, March 11, 2011

Less Than 2 Hours Till The Tsunami...

Dear Coach, I will not be attending swim practice tomorrow morning or doing my four hour bike ride. The pool is closed and the roads are too, we have a tsunami on the way. It's 1:05 am, I'm beyond tired, but sleeping is not an option with the LOUD sirens going crazy.
.
We were evacuated, Kainoa grabbed my hand and said, "Mom, Ill keep you safe in the salami". He called it a salami last time. Last time we were so VERY fortunate to have barely a knee high wave sized tsunami. We evacuated to higher ground, then were told to get higher. Now we are safe and sound, just waiting for the wave to arrive with hope and prayers it's a tiny thing. As for Japan, beyond sad about the destruction, the lives lost, and the disasters happening.
.
You know a humbling part in all of this? Just a few hours before the 8.9 quake and the news that we had to evacuate I got a phone call that there is a big possibility Kainoa and my little home we love so much will be sold and we have to move. Of course I was sad, crushed, I love where we live and really don't want to move all of our belongings. Then the quake...everything was put into perspective. Bummer that it takes something big to remind me something simple really is, simple. In fact, Ill be up beyond 24 hours waiting for this tsunami, Ill miss training, and I'm okay with the fact a race is coming and this is how the preparation is going...life happens.
.
It would be very cool if all of this tsunami danger just sort of faded, reality is it might not and for Japan it didn't. SO here we are having a pajama party with some friends that mean the world to me. We are laughing, staying close, just sort of hoping it all passes and tomorrow is just another day at the beach...Ill let you know.

Before the major Tsunami of 2011 warning, my day began on a grass field with run intervals. They were hard, they hurt, and I pretty much held onto my shoes with my toes, just hoping my feet wouldn't run out of them! Then of course ocean recovery...


Our ocean swim was perfect. I really hope nothing happens to that place (or the land, of course). It was a strange ocean swim though, maybe the sea life could feel something was on the horizon. A manta, a sting ray, at least 30 dolphins, and a turtle all kept on eye on us! Perhaps they felt a little something on the way.

.

From the swim was another run, a really short one. Then Kainoa to Karate and now we are here. Maybe I should try again to sleep. Never been good at sleeping during slumber parties and that's what we have going on here.... good friends waiting for hopefully nothing more than a very little wave...

ALOHA ahiahi from the island I love, ooooops, the tsunami alarm is going off again...

Bree




9 Comments:

Blogger Aeryn said...

Hope you and all your loved ones stay safe and sound.

March 11, 2011 at 2:50 AM

 
Blogger Big Daddy Diesel said...

Oh wow, I hope its just a little wave, I hope everyone is safe and sound

March 11, 2011 at 3:38 AM

 
Blogger PocoLocoMan said...

Praying for you and all the others on the island... hope the effect there is minimal

March 11, 2011 at 3:45 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Sounds like Hawaii is well prepared. Stay safe

March 11, 2011 at 3:49 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and the residents that are affected by this tsnuami and the earthquake!

March 11, 2011 at 4:06 AM

 
Blogger Lénia said...

All the best! Boa sorte!

March 11, 2011 at 7:37 AM

 
Blogger marian said...

stay safe!

March 11, 2011 at 7:43 AM

 
Blogger chr15 said...

Kainoa is the best!

Stay safe.

March 11, 2011 at 9:46 AM

 
Blogger Robert Lejeune said...

Take care and stay safe!

March 11, 2011 at 10:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home