Aloha!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Prince Kuhio Day!!

The day began here, the ocean without complaint! I would like to personally thank Prince Kuhio for the pool being closed, some businesses closed, schools closed, and most the island having the day off. LOVE me this holiday! Swim practice thankfully went on, the entire squad landed at the beach for practice. However, before practice the camp site was in full on "set up mode". In fact, half this side of the island was pitching tents along the beach before work. Set up, go work (in my case train), then go back to the beach when pau hana (finished for the day). If you wait till after work you wont get a spot...really, we take this family day seriously. Well, my sister boycotts the crowd of the beach so her family is camping up the mountain, but most people this side of the island are camping this night/weekend somewhere! We have a nice sized crew ready and waiting to camp at the waters edge. Let's just say being the first at the gate when it opens for camp (Cody), really helps land the sweet spot! Packing is simple:
.
*fishing pole, 3 prong, spear gun
*surf stuff
*little grill/pan to cook the lobster & fish we hope to catch
*bikinis and pajamas
*smores for the keiki :)
*Run stuff for me, I plan to wake early and tackle my long run tomorrow
*Tunes, cameras to save up some memories
*pancakes for the morning
*beach chairs, sunscreen, towels
.
Think that's about it, Kainoa packed a pillow and flashlight too.

After swim practice was a long ride for me. It was awesome to get on my new bike and break it in. Of course there was a pit stop at Bike Works Waikaloa (the bike shop a little North). Helped test out a beach cruiser while the water bottles were getting refilled. Liked the cruiser a lot, thinking to race it next weekend at Lavaman! hahaha, not really...love my Swift too much!
.
So what is Prince Kuhio Day?? It's one of only 2 royal holidays the United States celebrates and the 8 islands are sure to take a little time out. On March 26th 1919??? (sorry forgot the exact year, been a while since I was a teacher), Prince Kuhio set heir to the throne and he set up a Hawaiian Homes Act, setting aside 200,000 acres of land for Hawaiian blooded people. It's a pretty cool situation as the island has been taken over by different religions back in the day, different cultures all the time, and of course those who swept away grass shacks with giant homes at a cost more than fish & seashells could afford. Anyways, there is still land set aside that unless you have Hawaiian blood you can't touch it. As you know, I don't have any Hawaiian blood but I support the Act entirely. It's always raising problems on the islands and despite being Indian, German, Irish (a total mutt), I agree nobody can come along and take someones life or just change up their culture no matter where in the world. I wish I was alive back in the day the super conservative religions came along and took their grass skirts, little ti leaves for the men, and made the Hawaiians wear clothes. You better believe this white girl would be covered in grass skirts and plumerias over my boobs too, supporting the "let us/them have our culture". But that's another story...
.
My training day is done, the rest of the friends are almost done with obligations, holiday is about to begin! Hope you all enjoy your weekend! You can find us at the beach, but of course I'll get that run and ride in between sunshine, family, friends, and the ocean! Must leave you with a song....HOLIDAY.
.
MUAH!
Bree



17 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Hi, Bree; Thanks for the raggae.
Took me back a few years to when I lived in Bermuda. A good little tour ot the West End of the Island. Thanks again.

March 25, 2011 at 2:49 PM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

I love the sound of this holiday! If it wasn't going to be 22 degrees tonight, I'd celebrate too! Can I postpone it 3 months?

March 25, 2011 at 4:08 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

So awesome on all fronts!

March 27, 2011 at 6:56 PM

 
Blogger Danial123 said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. People deserve wealthy life time and loans or just auto loan would make it much better.
cruiser bicycles

March 28, 2011 at 1:28 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

What a perfect day for a holiday: seating on the beach under the stars, listening to the waves and everyone on the island joining in as well.
it all sounds so chilled out, It's good to know that at least there is somewhere in this world where people seem to have the balance right.
I assume the fish you caught was soon ready for the barbecue....

March 28, 2011 at 8:47 AM

 
Blogger Danial123 said...

I am to a great extent impressed with the article I have just read interesting very good.I read the Blog Nice site I found and I bookmarked the site.
Lead Generation

April 22, 2011 at 12:41 AM

 
Blogger Danial123 said...

I prefer to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is good. Thanks for the post.
delonghi espresso machine

April 28, 2011 at 8:09 PM

 
Blogger Danial123 said...

It's never an easy thing to start, but every time, there will be some one who will take the first step, its very competitive. Thanks for sharing!
Restaurant Address

May 11, 2011 at 2:47 AM

 
Blogger Danial123 said...

This post gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for sharing this nice article.
mobile application development

May 13, 2011 at 9:07 PM

 
Blogger Danial123 said...

Interesting post and thanks for sharing. Some things in here I have not thought about before.
mobile application design

May 13, 2011 at 9:08 PM

 
Blogger Danial123 said...

Fine information, many thanks to the author. It is puzzling to me now, but in general, the usefulness and significance is overwhelming. Very much thanks again and good luck!
iphone application development

May 13, 2011 at 9:08 PM

 
Blogger Danial123 said...

Thanks for making such a cool post which is really very well written.will be referring a lot of friends about this. Keep blogging
iphone application design

May 13, 2011 at 9:09 PM

 
Blogger Danial123 said...

I was looking for some topics that are enough popular and finally founded your blog, it has superb topics with great popularity.
Custom apps for business

May 13, 2011 at 9:10 PM

 
Blogger Danial123 said...

Your post is rocking and knowledgeable. I really appreciate the way you write . I would like to read more from you.
droid application development

May 13, 2011 at 9:11 PM

 
Blogger Danial123 said...

You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.
droid application development

May 14, 2011 at 12:21 AM

 
Blogger helena said...

Is there anything more dull that stepping on a boring treadmill, and walking ceaselessly for what seems to be forever.
coffee

February 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM

 
Blogger Fiverr Work said...

Likes enormously raise the track record of your respective web site and though using the ideal amount count; many people today is going to be interested in your account. The corporations that provide these merchandise and expert services, will produce you with non-automated or robotic likes and supply you with critical Instagram likes. The good make any difference about this is always that they're quickly shipped within your account and that means you do not have to attend that drastically. And when you are a enterprise, escalating your Instagram likes will almost certainly be efficient. buy instagram likes uk

May 13, 2014 at 9:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home