Aloha!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Take a Peek...

That Swift bike (see above) is on the way to Hawaii, to me! Haven't even touched it yet but I'm already "love at first sight/ride". Much like the way a surfer can't wait to get the board under her and into some waves, I can hardly wait to get that bike under me and onto the road! Speaking of roads, I haven't ridden on one in a while.
.
Yesterday I rode bike for 4 hours and didn't move a single inch. Seeing a 4 hour ride on paper and knowing it was going to be done INSIDE had me trembling in fear, literally conjuring up all sorts of emotions and scenarios of the torture before the "ride" even began. Had to stop myself before I poked my own eyes out of sheer boredom, how in the world would 4 hours happen without even moving?! I know people do it all the time, its normal, but for someone who doesn't even own a bike trainer (Ive been borrowing), and someone who lives where its outside riding conditions year round, how in the world was this going to go!?
.
It went like this:
Minutes 1-30: Spin easy, relax, warm up. (Look around, change the channel 9 times, drink a lot of water, send out some text messages, It's warm up right, I can do that while moving the legs and going nowhere).

31-33: Time to put pressure on the pedals, 3hours of continuous ride at a solid effort, stay focused (a challenge in itself even outside), work the full rotation on both legs, head controlled not looking up and down and all around, nutrition focus). It lasted 2 minutes. My brain was needing serious help, I could not piece together 3 hours of being there, I don't even watch TV. Mentally this was going to crush me.

33-2:30 I put on Blue Crush (its my favorite trainer movie). I figure if I cant be outside Ill watch a movie of others outside. It was a brilliant plan. My head was stuck on the movie for the entire duration. Parts of the movie when the girls were in big waves (I know its all dorky Hollywood filming), I was glued and caught myself spinning harder and faster as the intensity of their surfing increased. When the movie ended I was still in need of another "focused hour". RELIEVED to have made it thus far so smoothly...

2:30-3:30 I had to get up and go to the bathroom. Figured it was okay to get off the bike because when I ride outside I get off and jump in the bushes. It was really quick. Realized I better eat and drink, felt SUPER nauseous and bonking like never before. Riding inside just destroys me, if I was a boy Id of sweat my balls off! Left the TV on whatever station it was on when the movie ended. Some comedy that I spaced out of Ithink. Instead I put my head down and pretended to stare at the road like I was in a race. That lasted 24 minutes but felt like the hour. Back to watching the comedy channel, I should be on that. Who rides inside for 4 hours in HAWAII on a sunny, gorgeous day!? Me, now that is a comedy!

3:30-4:06. The last half hour of spin down/recovery was perfect timing. I was so dizzy, tired, hungry, you name it. It felt amazing to have sat in one place and worked so hard for that long without going anywhere to prove you are working hard. I was proud. Then I wanted to make sure I did it 100% so I rode 6 minutes to make up for the bathroom break and the time I jumped off to change the movie. It was humbling to feel so worn out after just a 4hr ride, it hurt worse than a 6hour ride outside!!!!
.
After that-a very short run and off to swim practice. We won't talk about swim practice. It went well, but it could have been so bad. I was still bonking from that ride and thought chocolate milk would help me swim better and pick me up. VERY bad idea when you are chasing very fast men from the mainland. I'll leave it at that...
Speaking of drinks, try this one at home. It's been a favorite this week since ginger is growing like crazy around here!

2-3 cups spinach, 2 lemons, a HUGE chunk of ginger, and an apple. Put it all in the juicer. Its like a zingy green lemonade perfect for hot Hawaiian days on the trainer :)
.
Happy training!
Bree



13 Comments:

Blogger Big Daddy Diesel said...

I never heard of Swift bikes before, but that is one sweet looking ride

March 3, 2011 at 10:39 AM

 
Blogger tinaparker87 said...

Love the look of the new bike.

4 hour ride is on tap for Saturday. However, I will be outside. :)

March 3, 2011 at 11:34 AM

 
Blogger David said...

Wow- that's one very fast looking bike. Looking fast counts too, don't let anyone tell you differently. Here in New England we still have 2 feet of snow on the ground and won't be outside for a month, maybe two. For me movies are hard to watch while on the trainer - unless the tv volume is off and music is on! I enjoy your blog. Train hard!

March 3, 2011 at 2:32 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Time crawls on a trainer - I swear last week my Garmin started ticking backwards on my long ride. Movies with subtitles seem to work - a good movie trilogy is "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and the sequels.
Another form of entertainment is recruiting my 5 year old and hubby to pretend they are running beside me to do bottle swaps - a good laugh watching them jog on the spot pretending :)
My daughter said I should clip a playing card on the spokes like her to have my bike "make good noise".
Good luck and may the trainer hours past swiftly!!!

March 3, 2011 at 3:10 PM

 
Blogger Maria Phillips said...

Tried your drink yesterday after trying to figure out how to integrate more iron in my diet. Awesome solid feeling all day long. Thanks for the tip!

March 4, 2011 at 2:54 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

SWIFT indeed!!

March 4, 2011 at 5:26 AM

 
Blogger The Lazy Triathlete said...

I have been riding inside all winter. I have had Crockett and Tubbs to keep me entertained. :)

That bike needs a head. ;)

March 4, 2011 at 9:09 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

The new bike is beautiful! Way to push through a tough indoor ride - it's hard to motivate when staying in one place. The green drink looks super tasty!

March 4, 2011 at 2:36 PM

 
Blogger mattposh said...

Bike looks nice, but it looks 'busy' with those wheels.

March 5, 2011 at 6:25 AM

 
Blogger Sam said...

Congrats on the new bike! You rock Bree, keep up the great work and fun blog posts!!! :-)

March 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

Awesome looking new ride! Can't wait to see it all built up (and out on the road).

March 6, 2011 at 4:09 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

That green drink, i'm not so sure but as i've got some spinach in the fridge I'll give it a go.

March 6, 2011 at 8:32 AM

 
Blogger Fahd said...

I liked the ginger juice looks yummy

March 6, 2011 at 2:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home