Aloha!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Back Yard Racing...

4 more sleeps till race day. The butterflies have long been fluttering, the nerves have already accumulated in full force, the excitement was built sometime last week, and of course...it's rest week. Rest week for some reason drives me weird. This morning I felt so flat at swim, it literally felt like I was swimming against a wild, raging current. In fact, fluster began to entertain me so I skipped a 50 on one of the sets to catch my breath, give me a pep talk to SNAP out of it and push through the taper-blahs, and because I needed to swim at least one round with some pep so I could feel a drop or 2 of swim speed. Yeah, self pep talks help me BIG time, reminded myself, "to loosen the bra and empty that girly pink purse full of reasons why I felt junky", works most every time.
.
Then a bike ride. Same thing. Coach must know me pretty good by now, he had some little intervals tossed into a 2hr ride that would wake up and shake out my legs. Sure enough what felt like a slug in the start of the ride felt more like me by the finish. You know, I have a secret... Whenever coach (or anyone for that matter) would give me a workout race week with anything other than "easy, recovery, or loosen up" in the plan I would ignore it. In my mind I used to think, "weird, aren't we supposed to save it for race day, I'm not spending ANY energy till the race". SO Id ignore the pick ups and intervals and just swim, bike, or run easy. After feeling flatter than a pancake on so many race days I realized I am the fool not the coach and I have to ignore myself. Now I believe in those pick ups and few intervals, such as today's ride. Perfect example if I do say so myself...
.
In 4 days is a home-race, those are the best! I've decided to list my favorite reasons for racing at home. Of course having Kainoa front and center is the first best reason! He's my recovery swim buddy as soon as the finish line happens...
#2. The views. Racing in my back yard sure has some amazing views. You know, oceans, palm trees, plumerias, dolphins and fish, the list goes on and on...hula & fire dancers?!
.
#3. Home. Sleeping in your own bed, eating from your kitchen, having your neighbors and training partners all over racing with you or cheering for you, being able to have your vehicle there to drive, your phone works (sometimes over seas mine does not work), you can carry on with your everyday life a little easier.
#4. The weather. I like it more hot than cold. 'nuff said...

#5. Sunsets. Thankfully I won't have to miss any racing at home! Sunsets are something I will forever appreciate wherever I am in the world.

#6. The Course. I love racing around Hapuna/Mauna Lani...it's pretty amazing. Hot n' beachy, windy n' wild, it's a favorite of mine. Not too hilly, not too cold, it's home.

I'm doing my best to pretend Saturday will be just another good day at home. It's not working trying to fool myself, but keeping the normal routine of motherhood and life is helping to shake off a few of the flutters...and as I was once told, "Butterflies and race nerves mean you care". I do care...

.

Bree



10 Comments:

Blogger Terrish B said...

Lovely post :) thanks for sharing :) I am so excited for you and everyone that is racing!! HOW FUN!! enjoy your rest time!! ALOHA!

May 31, 2011 at 7:33 PM

 
Blogger Gigi Wong said...

Aloha, just discover your blog yesterday and i'm thrilled:) Love your life! And it was such fortunate you can live a life on this beautiful island, ocean and beach everyday with your lovely son, simple and meaningful!
Have a good race and enjoy the day:)

May 31, 2011 at 8:46 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Your island is the perfect place to race but i specially love your reasons #3 &4 as i also think there's nothing better than being able to sleep in your own bed and have your car with you. Yes taper week is funny, all short work outs and tough little intervals. Have a great race

May 31, 2011 at 9:41 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Gooooo Bree!!! I'll be thinking of you this weekend! Have a great race and make all that hard training count. I know you will! :)

May 31, 2011 at 10:50 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Good luck this weekend. Kick some butt.

May 31, 2011 at 11:13 PM

 
Blogger PipTook said...

Agreed about home races. That's why I'm doing Tinman (a notoriously viciously hilly course) this year and IMLP ('nuff said) next year. With IMLP I can literally walk to the start line.

Good luck on Saturday! Loosen the bra and kick some serious butt!

June 1, 2011 at 1:39 AM

 
Blogger tinaparker87 said...

Making me miss Hawaii. Calm the butterflies. The training is all in the tank.

June 1, 2011 at 7:24 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Rock it!!

June 1, 2011 at 8:10 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

YAHOO! Goo BREE! Great post! Kick some BOOTY out there Chica!
Hugs:)

June 1, 2011 at 6:31 PM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

It's YOUR race Bree - have a great race!!

June 2, 2011 at 11:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home