Aloha!

Saturday, May 14, 2011

City In The Pacific...

When you live in the little town of Kona (my dream come true home-sweet-home), it makes a trip to Oahu very exciting! This morning I woke up to a beautiful view of the city, my favorite BIG city in the world! (Note: I have not been to many big cities in my life), so far this is my ultimate favorite of the ones I have explored though. It was holding a lot of excitement swimbikerun style...

Puas on the beach, not to mention BEACHES with plenty of walking distance. One of my favorite things is watching the surfers, oh I love watching them back home, but here it's different. Waikiki is so full of surf history (pretty much where it all began), its exciting to see all the crowds of children, adults, even dogs just jostling for waves. Of course the NS holds excitement of its own, but today we were in the city and Waikiki had me likey, likey, liking the views...

As most island ocean swims go, it was warm and clear. My body feels a little funky still, no worries, tomorrow will be a great day of having to push through unwanted funk in the trunk...

Okay, I do have to confess not all things "city in the Pacific" are awesome, riding here still scares the whatever you want to call it out of me. Truly the cyclists that live on this island amaze me, some were weaving in and out and around cars as if it was a hobby! Beautiful! Me on the other hand was holding on for dear life praying my bike would ride itself and I could just hold on for the ride. Finally we made it to bike check in and it is safely in the rack waiting for tomorrows adventure on the island...
6am race start, swimbikerun, AND then a road trip for us Kona peeps! SO EXCITED! Happy weekend,

Bree



4 Comments:

Blogger Terrish B said...

OMG!! Wish I was there.... Have a great time!!! Live, Love, Surf, Race!!! Hugs, Terrish

May 15, 2011 at 12:04 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

I totally enpathise with your fear of cycling amongst the traffic. I have no other alternative unfortunately and find that it helps to expect drivers (i drive a car too so can see it from both angles!) to do stupid things: opening car doors, changing lanes without indicating and getting really close to us cyclist when overtaking. I have a swear word i use quite a lot in situations like this - SH*T - which i usually just say to myself as I'm in club kit and don't anyone complaining to them.
But you're thre for your race so i hope that's going great and very soon you'll be back in your laid back island with far less stress out drivers.

May 15, 2011 at 3:59 AM

 
Blogger krystyna47 said...

I've cycled in both situations, and right now I'm in the big city and HATE IT. Oh, to get back to small towns and open roads that stretch out forever, with a car passing every 5 minutes or so. There's nothing like it.

May 15, 2011 at 3:19 PM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

Can't wait for the race report! Hope you had a blast as usual.

May 16, 2011 at 2:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home