Aloha!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ocean Love...

"Love is what we are born with, fear is what we learn". I was born with a sincere passion for the ocean. Pretty sure salt water runs through my veins, to be far from an ocean for too long is perhaps one of the rare times when my heart feels uneasy. I've got scars, stitches, staples, cuts, and bruises all from favorite ocean moments. More than that, the ocean has given me some of the greatest sources of relief, joy, and that beautiful self confidence that creates inner strength in a girl...
.
For as long as I can remember solo swims out to sea have been nothing short of perfect. Laying on my back, eyes closed in the surf was a safe spot for me. I've swam with sharks, I've fished them, and I've sat in a hospital with a friend after he'd been bit by a shark out surfing. Sharks have a great deal of my respect, I'm for sharks and stand up for them when it comes to protecting them. I know they exist in the ocean and for so long I've believed that if I swim and play in peace they will be okay with me enjoying their territory...

From Hawaii News Now...

Yesterday was shark attack number 2 in 3 days. Not to mention beaches in town and as far North as Mauna Kea have been closed this week for the shark action. Thankfully each of the attacks (from different sharks each time) have only sunk teeth into boards and not bodies. Am I struck with fear? I don't know...
.
It's not going to keep me out of the water but having helicopters flying above every morning this week, scoping the coast line to determine opening the beaches or not isn't exactly fun. Yesterday it made me a little angry, enough that I ALMOST entertained fear. In fact it sent me to swim with the high school team rather than the regular masters swim. That practice was like swimming with sharks. We did 5,000 in the duration it takes us to swim nearly 3,000! It was very good for me mentally to battle the road blocks that come with fast swimming. One of the main sets was a set of 200's on 2:40 and our lanes goal was to bust them under 2:15. Followed that up by 300 yards of broken 25's holding our breath, talk about being a mermaid! In deed it was like swimming with sharks...


So this morning, coach had up: Run and recovery ocean swim. I was ready to jump feet first into the ocean and to combat any mistake of shark bait I sported my ocean bikini. It is very lovely blue with star fish, squids, sea horses, and other ocean creatures-talk about blending into my surrounding! Camoflauge at its finest. Then the helicopters came, (I live just 1 mile from the most recent shark attack), and my ocean voyage was knocked out of question, along with having no company. To the pool we went, like a couple of kids running from the school bully, a 16 foot shark. "Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold."-Helen Keller

Today I spent time looking out to the ocean, I know what's out there, it's visible as much as it's hidden. Saturday we have planned an ocean swim, it will be the first venture since the beach closures and hopefully create closure to this shark fear that is trying to entertain me...I want my carefree ocean floats back...

.

Swim Happy,

Bree



6 Comments:

Blogger Mon Amour said...

I have never seen a shark and I have never swam in the ocean but I have a lot of respect for sharks too. I am fearful of them but probably only because I have never encountered one.

I hope you can get back to ocean swimming soon!

May 26, 2011 at 2:48 PM

 
OpenID Jennifer said...

Hi Bree, I'm coming down for the 70.3 next week and we're all a bit nervous about the shark news! Assuming if there's plenty of people in the water they won't come around? Not as worried about the actual race with 1800 swimmers (I can't imagine they'd want to get in the middle of that!), but am worried about pre-race swims. What do you think? You are more of a shark expert!

May 26, 2011 at 7:02 PM

 
Blogger PipTook said...

Sorry to hear about the lack of ocean swimming. Up here in Lake Placid the lake is JUST becoming barely acceptable for wetsuit swimming. (50 degrees.) Like you, I vastly prefer open water to the pool. Unfortunately even with a wetsuit and a tough hide the season is only three months long.

And I know what you were trying to say when you said that "salt water runs through your veins" but it made me laugh because we all have "salt water" in our veins. (Human blood is .9% NaCl) And I'll stop being a nerd now.

May 27, 2011 at 1:56 AM

 
Blogger tinaparker87 said...

The sharks will go away or least further out soon. Better safe then sorry. The one thing about your beaches you can see them sooner. You cannot here in Ca. Our beaches are dark. The leopard sahrks will be on the floor soon. I cannot wait for swims at La Jolla Shores starting in July. Happy Summer.

May 27, 2011 at 5:41 AM

 
Blogger Hawaii Website Design said...

Wow...that's totally amazing, how i love to swim in that ocean....
Hawaii Website Design

May 27, 2011 at 11:42 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Bree, a few days away from the sea will be just a minor interruption for a girl like you who swims there all year round.

I hope the swim went well today with out any "sprint for your life or you'll be shark desert" moments.
lets us know when the critters have gone away

May 28, 2011 at 12:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home