Aloha!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tuff Tuesday....

Tuesdays around the Wee house have taken on a new name, "Tuff Tuesdays". They just never seem to be anything shy of demanding the most out of me both mentally and physically. These Tuesdays began last season with a hill and have over the course of months become a personal challenge, a good measuring stick of fitness gains, and of course suck the energy right out of me!
.

A couple Tuesdays ago I was able to get a PR on one of the hill climbs. It fired me up for the rest of the week, it gave me some much needed confidence, and it of course taught me a few good lessons on perseverance. Today was like every Tuesday, I always go for a PR on the last climb. Today was also a little different, I really believed I would get one, TODAY WAS THE DAY. Um... no PR. Oh, believe me I saw a PR coming, the seconds were down to a Science on how I'd manage and attack, but then I was 6 seconds off. You gotta be kidding me?! I didn't exactly taper for today but I went to bed early last night and ate the best breakfast this morning in HOPES of that PR...nope.

.

After the last hill is climbed coach gives me a 40 minute flat ride to do, hard effort. It's to help teach me to work on a weakness (staying strong all ride long). I felt a little bummed, sort of like a girl on Christmas Day who dreamed of getting a Tasty Bake Oven but got a Barbie instead. Anyways, I pushed my ride, worked hard, and was reminded that not every Tuesday will be a PR and that you can't let it ruin the opportunity to get stronger by not trying for it...

.

From there it was a run off the bike (another weakness of mine). Do you get the flow of my Tuesdays now? It's all about working the weaknesses, Ive got lots. Just maybe I pushed the 40 minutes after the hills more like a time trial race because lacing the run shoes I was seeing stars. Incredible, I just landed in the position I need to be to really work my weakness. From there the challenge grew, one of the islands best runners decided to join me.

.

Forget a cruise run off the bike, it felt like we were trying to out run a tsunami! The head began to toss at me all those unwanted quotes it gives me on race days, "It will feel better to slow up a little", "really, this pace, can you hold it", "How about walking till you get your breath". Its so frustrating but sadly it happens once you entertain them, I have been guilty of entertaining them and now I have to fight back like never before. For once I welcomed them, with each attack I just dug deeper and then I tried to push the pace despite holding on. Then I told my friend the things happening in my head, all of them, it was a lot like exposing your dirty laundry, but I want to get better so I let myself be humbled. He ran through them with me, we beat them down and I am pretty sure I got a PR off the bike today. Maybe not on that hill, but for sure on that run and in my head. The battle field in my head is not over, but the war today I won, well, my legs anyways...

.

THEN the swim. The swim did not happen. We had a lightening storm that closed the pool and flash flooding that made you truly foolish to even be ocean swimming in, not to mention the lightening. Sadly, my "Tuff Tuesday" felt like I got a little jipped...but I made the most of not having an option to swim, sat on the couch like a slug and loved every moment of it!

.

Keep on keepin' on...

Bree



4 Comments:

Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I had a tuff Tuesday too. Full intentions of a 2 mile swim and I quit after 1/2. Maybe I need a coach to kick my butt......ummmmm... nahhh

I know, we will call it an accelerated taper 2.5 weeks out, ya, that's the ticket!!

May 4, 2011 at 9:53 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

NICE! Tuff Tuesday is a good day and I'm sure you'll get that PR again soon! Keep up the great work! You got this Bree!

May 5, 2011 at 5:38 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

you just made me look forward to Tuesdays :-) I'm already thinking how I can make mine tuff too!

May 5, 2011 at 9:22 PM

 
Blogger Brian said...

You look a little like Olivia Newton John from her Physical days in that pic :)

May 6, 2011 at 3:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home