Aloha!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Finding My Rhythm...

9 years ago I took ukulele lessons, 9 years ago I stopped going to practice. Music does not come easy to me, finding rhythm is something some people feel and comes out pretty, I don't even know where to begin to look for it. I don't feel it and when I try to play or find it I cant even hear how wrong it is to even fix whats wrong. It's sort of like a "fish out of water", I'm the fish trying to strum some chords but cant even breathe and in return make my own self deaf.
.
9 years later, after starting and stopping lessons, I started again. I had too, it's going to make me a better athlete. Let me explain, being able to play the ukulele is not only a VERY BIG CHALLENGE I will overcome, it's teaching me lessons that will carry into swimbikerun, life for that matter.
.
Today at practice my teacher told me, "slow down, calm down, be patient". Sounds so much like the start of the run for me. I also heard, "listen, focus, take your time", reminds me of an Ironman. Then one of the VERY talented high school boys that grew up with an ukulele in his hands began to play mine, it sounded like I imagine heaven to sound. He held it different, use different fingers to strum, and he even had his own fancy beats different than that of the teacher. Both him and the teacher were beyond amazing, if it were a race they would be the winners, both different rhythms but they would get there long before most.
.
Sport is like that, you really have to become one with what you do, (your bike, your favorite goggles, the shoes you run best in), then make it work for you, find your own rhythm. You know what the teacher and I noticed? We were talking about how at mile 3 of the half marathon Sunday I took off the IPOD. Ive always done well having 18 different things going on at once in my head, Sunday I only wanted the race in there. I think my Thursday lesson before the race taught me that, to silence everything else out and be focused on a single sound at a time, at mile 3 of 13 I wanted only the sound of running, (breathing while running that is), and I was able to shut most other things out.
.
Today I played a few chords together pretty enough to put a smile on my face. Of course the "let's get the party started" in me still wants to pick up my ukulele and bust out a song really fast and now, today! Its so not that simple, I have a long way to go. But on that journey I am finding some rhythm and finally picking up something I put down a long time ago, sort of like getting back in the race after a DNF. And of course, having a little "chill time" never hurt a girl like me who struggles to sit still...
.
Bree



5 Comments:

Blogger uhooi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

June 28, 2011 at 9:17 PM

 
Blogger Tina Z said...

inspiring post- I have a hard time slowing down myself and sometimes wonder if it impedes success...

June 29, 2011 at 4:23 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

learning a new skill, even if it doesn't come natural to us, is something that we should keep doing for th rest of our lives. I have no natural talents but take pleasure in going through th learning process which can take a very long time. I agree with you that this sort of process does spill into our racing as well.
Enjoy playing that Ukelele (...which i believe is a portuguese invention brought over to Hawai'i many many moons ago)

June 29, 2011 at 11:12 AM

 
Blogger swimfin said...

Bree, I feel your pain. I have been trying to learn how to play the ukulele for the past 9 months and I still can only string together a few chords. It's the strumming that I can't seem to get together. Good for you for giving it another try!

June 30, 2011 at 7:54 AM

 
Blogger goSonja said...

I love my ukulele. I've never played an instrument in my life, but the Uku is for me. I'm learning bits and pieces at a time like you, and I love how hours can disappear when I am practicing. I even played for Annies preschool last year. Nursery rhymes are good starter songs. The Hokey Pokey is my favorite. Seeing those kids dancing and laughing while I played the hokey pokey made me realize it didn't matter how good I was, I was bringing joy, and that's what the ukulele is about. Joy and community.

July 1, 2011 at 8:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home