Aloha!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Good, The Bad, and The Challenge...

The good news is I love riding my bike, it fits SOOOOOOOO good! In fact, today I had a 4hr ride on the plan and somehow I just got caught up with the wind and the comfort and didn't turn at 2 hours, home was reached 5hrs later. The not so good was getting very dizzy. A lousy job of hydration in the Summer sun had me seeing "lychee" at a nearby market, of course I stopped. Looking at the sign now, after some good ol' water and electrolytes have saved me the sign clearly does not read "lychee"...

The bad part of my long rides is that I always find and land at farmers markets on the side of the road. I use them as my "fuel". Sometimes I grab bananas and mangoes, other times musubi, most the time the sweet sticky rice rolled in ti leaves, (a favorite as it's soft like those shot blocks, sweet, and carb loaded). It's such a bad idea because race day I never carry sticky rice, musubi, or mangoes. Then I find myself trying to use gels and bars only to miss my farmers market aid stations. I've got to train myself to pack gels more often...


Seriously, wouldn't you love this to be an aid station in an Ironman?! How can I not stop here during a long ride, its perfect, just perfect and saves me every time!

...the challenge. Sunday is the Kona 1/2 marathon. Today the road notices for closures were set out, of course that got me all excited. The challenge is going to be another one of those opportunities to race right on through a nice sized training block. I'm getting better at this as I'm embracing the opportunity to have a mental workout day. Oh I'd be kidding myself if I said I didn't want to race for a PR, who wouldn't! So it looks like its going to be hold on, hang tight, get er' done as fast as you can with what you got on the day reaching for the PR. In the long run it's more needed to have a workout of my mind than perhaps another physically demanding day.

.

Tomorrow is reverse triathlon day, runbikeswim. The good news with that plan, my day will end in the ocean!

.

Night!!

Bree



5 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Francis said...

I defenitely prefer your market "aid stations" :-) instead of gels. They can wait until race day. Yuk. I always have to choose the citrus ones as i can't stand most flavours. So cool that you did a longer bike than needed. I have my retul fitting on the 23 july :-)

June 22, 2011 at 10:27 PM

 
Blogger Kim said...

What a beautiful aid station!! Great nutrients and good tasty food!! best of luck on Sunday Bree!! I know how it feels to train / race through but it's so worth it!!! I'll be cheering for you!

June 23, 2011 at 4:12 AM

 
Blogger Tina Z said...

I am so jealous of your market aid stations!! I have only been to HI once and fell in love with the food, I love your posts with pics of food!

June 24, 2011 at 2:59 AM

 
Blogger marian said...

sounds like another fabulous day coming up!

June 24, 2011 at 11:12 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Hey Chica - we are both doing 1/2's on Sunday! Hopefully LOTS of your speediness rubs off on me and non of my molassessness rubs off on you! Go FAST CHICA!!!!
HELLO SUMMER - Van FINALLY feels a wee bit like Summer has arrived:)))

June 24, 2011 at 12:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home