Aloha!

Friday, June 3, 2011

Honu...

I know, I know, this race is not called "Honu" anymore, its Hawaii 70.3 or Rhoto 70.3, or maybe it's Rhoto Hawaii 70.3 now, the name has changed 3x since 2004 when it was just an Olympic distance race. BUT to me, to all of us that lined up that first time on Hapuna Beach back in '04, it will always be HONU. In '05 it turned to Honu Half Ironman, taking a small field that has now, (this year), grown to nearly 1700. So very cool to see the growth in sport, and more local athletes on the island racing too!
.
This is certainly a very special race for me. One of the first ever races of my life, the race where I first got a Kona slot, the race where I stood out there 9 months prego crying that I wasn't allowed to race at home because I was too pregnant. The race where I got my first DNF, before the race coach told me I was only allowed to swim/bike because I had a race in Japan to do soon after. I ran 3 miles anyway and was taken off the course by a golf cart. REALLY didn't like coach then, but after Ironman Japan went so well (taking 2nd), I totally understood. The race has taught me so many lessons like that, and others that have me always wanting to line up for "Honu".

.

This time tomorrow I will be a "HONU Finisher"! And like last year, Kainoa will be at the finish line waiting for his finishers medal, (he collects them), in the above photo he was looking for it so hard after the race, confused where it might be. He makes it a lot easier to get to finish lines!! This race is also where I first learned about competition in triathlon. There was always a race to hurt for when Rachel Ross from Oahu came over (or if I went to her island for races). Our races went something like this, out swim her, we biked about the same, she out split me on the runs, so it came down to if I had a lead off the bike or not. The hardest race against her was on this very course in '07. Holy crap every loop, hill, weave, turn, and roll of this course she was gaining on me, I never ran so scared in all my life, ever!
.
Today I was a bit of a flutter case rolling into the athlete check in and there she sat, the Oahu Tri Queen herself, in an instant it was all calm again, like the old days of familiar Honu faces and friends and again, she reminded how much we love this race...it hurts GOOD!

...and some of the Big Island girls! This is the part that excites me. When I first got into triathlon very few Big Island girls raced, I mean there were some quality cycling machines, swimmers that out swam dolphins, and of course runners, but only a small handful that did all three in a single event. The few that did all 3 were my role models, I adored them for each piece of advice they ever gave me, (like buy a one-piece swim suit and aero bars). Now, a few years later we actually have enough of us to buy out pink bar wrap at the local bike shop!


The sun is about to set, I'm keeping an eye on it from the lanai. At this moment a mixture of thankfulness to be healthy and happy to race, a few butterflies, and a little bit of "I hope I sleep tonight" is how I'm feeling. Hope everyone has a GREAT race tomorrow, it's going to be a great day out there!

.


Bree



11 Comments:

Blogger SSB said...

we were just talking about how it's not longer Honu. But our wristbands say Honu. So it's still Honu. It will always be Honu. Good luck tomorrow!

June 3, 2011 at 6:43 PM

 
Blogger Megan said...

Good luck - Go Fast, Take Chances!

June 3, 2011 at 6:45 PM

 
Blogger Alison said...

Man - I remember when the big 1/2 on the island was Keauhou-Kona! Good luck tomorrow!!!!

June 3, 2011 at 7:34 PM

 
Blogger BreeWee said...

yeah! Keahou, that was taken away and Honu put in... miss Keahou so much!

June 3, 2011 at 8:25 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Thanks for explaining the history of this race and why you call it honu. One of the things i love about local races is bumping into friends and see familiar faces. i'm also racing today - blenheim palace triathlon. Good luck Bree let's kick some butt!

June 3, 2011 at 10:56 PM

 
Blogger Sarah Giacomarra Schrader said...

Good luck Bree (not that you need it). :o)

BTW, is it me or does anyone else have issues with the pictures being blank. Is it a blogger problem or a Sarah problem? Thanks.

June 4, 2011 at 3:55 AM

 
Blogger Audrey said...

Whoot Whoot Whoot Bree!!!!!!!!!!! You did it!!!! Followed athlete tracker all the way from little Comox in Canada!! Congrats on getting that Honu WIN!!! You are such an inspiration!! You Rock!!!!!

June 4, 2011 at 11:56 AM

 
Blogger Tiffcincy said...

Congrats Bree. Super Star!

June 4, 2011 at 12:49 PM

 
Blogger marian said...

woohoo! congratulations! all your hard work paid off.

June 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Congrats on your rock star win, Bree! Wow, super fast!! I want your legs! ;) Thanks for always inspiring! Hope your having a great time celebrating with your adorable little guy. :)

June 4, 2011 at 7:44 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

The race is called Honu period, and always will be.

June 5, 2011 at 7:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home