Aloha!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

King Kainoa...





It's my turn to talk, my mother had her turn to tell her side of the Hawaii 70.3 story, now it is my turn. You can call me "King Kainoa" if you want, I was given the royal treatment after that finishers medal went around my neck, that medal that I ASKED FOR. Anyways, I was treated like a King, even given a ride from those hula fire dancing men...




Friday began with mom helping with a pre-race swim clinic (don't ask why she got to help and not me, I mean I could swim before I could walk!). She always feels like giving back to the community, suppose that's cool because in return all the aunties and uncles on the island give me candy and play with me while she "works", and of course I get to be part of all these cool activities. Anyways, that day turned to night and mom put me to bed early, ahh the life of being a child to a tri-mom!




The next day began in the sand, rough life for a 4 year old!!! It was warm as the sun was coming up over Hualalai and the beach was already full of triathletes. It excites me to see so many people and I'm always curious to see what they are up too, maybe one day I'll do the race, for now I prefer building sand castles. My mom woke up in a weird mood, she must have kissed me goodbye 19 times. Then she would get out of bed, then come back and snuggle me, then get back up, then give me another hug and kiss, then get back up, maybe she was nervous. It wasn't like I asked her to find me a sunrise shell (those are rare on the Big Island), I just wanted a medal from her triathlon...




.




Look at all the shadows over me, seriously I can't get away with anything being her son! She has like full time security over me on race days to make sure I am fed, sunscreened, safe, and at the finish line on time!
Mom and I have this tradition, I give her a piece of advice before every race. Today I wanted to tell her to pee on her bike and on the run during the race and NOT stop at any port-o-potties. Ooooop's, I was so busy with the sand castle that I forget to tell her and by the time I chased after her in the swim start she was up front somewhere. I decided to pee in my surf trunks right there in the ocean, (taking my own advice)...




Pffff, it must be hard work getting a medal for me because I didn't see her for over 2 hours! Thankfully I spent the morning having lunch and playing in the fountains, keeping cool is hard work in Hawaii! My mom was in first when she passed me, but she looked sad and the reporters then told me she was in 3rd. 3rd is awesome, 14th is awesome, 1, 400 is awesome! Just doing the race is awesome because you GET A MEDAL and that is all I wanted-GO MOM GO, ride that bike!




My mom looked ugly off the bike. It didn't even look like her. I told her to go and cheered loud for her, it makes me proud to see her fight so hard for things she cares about, like my medal! I wonder if she peed her pants on the bike, after the race she told me she didn't. In fact, she didn't have to go till almost 5 hours after she crossed the finish line! Puking all day on her bike and in the run made her a little dehydrated, still wish I could have seen her before the swim start to tell her to pee on the bike. I wish I could pee my pants at school the way she can at her work!




Um...Maybe I'll use this tree during the race as a restroom. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone. These races are so long and when I have to go, I gotta go!




Mom ran past me again on the run! This time I had my hand out to "high five" her. It made her smile, she always tells me I am her greatest strength! I could almost taste my medal now, "Hurry mom, get my medal!". She was in 3rd slipping into 4th. I saw the 4th place girl 20 seconds behind her but never got nervous, mom always has a way of surprising me! A few miles later, like mile 10, she was a solid 3rd with 2nd place 1 minute up the road and 1st 2 minutes up the road. The medal was only 3 miles away from being mine!!




.




I told you mom is full of surprises, the reporters over the speaker said, "local girl Bree Wee is now running in 2nd place". It shocked everyone because mom looked so ugly in the race, we all kinda got scared she would land 4th, now she was in 2nd with a mile to go! Gotta love "ALOHA TIME", she was taking her aloha time for sure!




Look at me, I'm waiting for my mom at the finish line now, the medal was a mile from being mine! Now the announcers said, "Bree Wee one mile to go, running in second. First place is a minute up the road and about to come through as the Hawaii 70.3 woman's champ". Everyone was excited to see the first girl but you could feel the sadness from the community. So many people really had hopes of my mom being the first one from the Big Island to win (man or woman). I got sad when they told me the news my mom wasn't winning, see my face??




.




They did the Math...1st place running just under a 7 min mile, a minute up the road from mom. That meant mom would have to run just under a 6 minute mile to have a sprint finish at the line. We all knew mom had been sick all day, barfing and dehydrated. Really, it was sad to feel her lose this race when she wanted it so much this year and wanted to do it for her island...




I'll never forget what happened next. Everyone was hugging me and telling me to get ready for my mom, to cheer and yell loud! They said, "here comes the first woman, Bree Wee FROM THE BIG ISLAND". It shocked everyone! Nobody would believe it! She had to have run close to a 5 minute mile to put a 32 second gap on the girl a minute up the road from her. I remember the barf and tears running from her face. She must have really wanted to hurry and get that medal for me!




It was awesome to see mom finish! She grabbed me and hugged me and went to kiss me, and I pushed away! GROSSSSSSSSSSS! Mom was so smelly and dirty I almost threw up! I couldn't even let her kiss me! Seriously mom, just give me the medal and let's go back to the beach!




We traded a medal for a kiss, it was worth, talk about a good show n' tell for school Monday!




...then I fell asleep! Watching a triathlon is very hard work! You have to stand, chase, cheer, clap, repeat for HOURS!! Thankfully she did something cool as being the first Big Islander to win the race, they gave us a weekend at the Mauna Lani! I am talking "royal treatment". I got cheese cake, lawn chairs, pools, hot tubs, room service, beaches, ice cream, and a robe after my shower! Mom even let me skip school on Monday to take full advantage of the beaches of Mauna Lani!
Check out my swim skills! Now why didn't they let me help with the swim camp!? Maybe next year when I'm 5. The rest of the weekend was all about recovering from waiting for my finishers medal. I'm talking feet up...









I would like to give a BIG SHOUT out to Mauna Lani resort and spa for the royal treatment! To Aunt Wendy, Brooke, Cody, Whistler, Uncle Nick, and everyone that played with me during the race. To HIC sunscreen for making sure I never get a sunburn, to the makers of spam musubi so I don't go hungry waiting all day, and of course mom for that medal...




.




Kainoa!



17 Comments:

Blogger Jolene said...

Cutest post ever! And so detailed I felt like I was right out there with you (until the 5 min. mile of course). Then you lost me. ;-)

June 7, 2011 at 3:33 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Kainoa you're the secret behind your mums success and if you do a training camp i'll sign up for it:-)
Now, about school! Don't think the medal was free. Your mum expects you to get good results at school. It's her turn to ask you for a medal i guess.

June 7, 2011 at 10:08 PM

 
Blogger chr15 said...

Kainoa, you should write mummy's blog everyday, so much more fun :)


^^^^ love Lucy's post :)

Fantastic Bree, and huge congratulations. I thought the saying race until you puke wasn't supposed to be literal.

June 7, 2011 at 10:45 PM

 
Blogger Monica said...

HAHAHA!!! Love this post!!! Congrats Kainoa and Bree!!!

June 7, 2011 at 11:23 PM

 
Blogger Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

Best race report ever. I'm going to remember this when I'm hurting on the run in CDA in a few weeks :-) I always bring my medals home to my "boy," my 10 year old running partner/Vizsla. He poses with "his" medal after every race and we take a picture.



You are amazing.

June 8, 2011 at 2:03 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

I love this race report!

June 8, 2011 at 3:03 AM

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Kainoa always writes the best reports! :)

Congratulations again!

June 8, 2011 at 3:59 AM

 
Blogger jackie said...

Wow, that was really a great race report, gave me chills and a little bit of tears and of course smiles! Congrats!

June 8, 2011 at 4:36 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

I love the race from Kainoa's perspective!! So well told! Awesome Bree!! You CLOSED that race!! That gives me tons of hope and just the inspiration I needed to GET OUT OF THIS FUNKY FUNK I've been having and get ready to RACE 70 miles! Thanks! CONNNGRRRAATTSSS!

June 8, 2011 at 5:20 AM

 
Blogger Alex said...

Maybe its the pregnancy hormones but I always tear up when I get to the end part when you win. =)
Congrats WTG!

June 8, 2011 at 3:18 PM

 
Blogger Tracy said...

I always get a big smile reading your posts! Every time! Thanks Bree! I really enjoyed this post. Thanks for all you do for the sport

June 8, 2011 at 5:31 PM

 
Blogger suzanne said...

As a single mom trying to race triathons I just LOVE your posts. Thank you :) Awesome race. Awesome.

June 8, 2011 at 6:55 PM

 
Blogger marcus said...

This was the funnies post ever. You should letting Kainoa write a lot more stories :)

June 9, 2011 at 1:08 AM

 
Blogger TarynMurtagh said...

I absolutely love this post, Bree. I hope you feel the same kindness, motivation, fun and determination you give your fans. Bask in pride with Kainoa and your smile!

June 9, 2011 at 10:55 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

AWESOME! What a little Super Star!

June 10, 2011 at 7:39 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer Cunnane said...

I loved this post! I am SO happy to see all your hard work pay off! It was really touching to read the post and you can tell what a wonderful mom you are! Congrats!!

June 10, 2011 at 4:02 PM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Such an adorable post from Kainoa! ;) Love it!... made me smile and brought a tear. Such a good mommy you are, Bree!! Sounds like a fun weekend you had with your little guy! Congrats again on your amazing win and happy recovering!... always inspiring, puke and all!!! :)

June 11, 2011 at 6:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home