Aloha!

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Racing At 4...

Racing at 4 is very exciting stuff. It starts off with strawberries, eggs, rice & peas, and a giant cinnamon roll, because you know all 4 year olds could use a little "extra" energy. Yes, that is PRE-RACE fuel Kainoa Wee style! Today was a special day, his race day, I pretty much let him rule the morning...whatever he needed to get ready to race (and of course it didn't take anything more than me to drive him), but I wanted to full on make the morning about him since he does that for me on my race days...

Then it's all about lacing the shoes. It has to be JUST RIGHT! If it's too tight it's not happening, if the tongue is crooked forget it, and if the socks have a crinkle in them take the shoe off and start over-IMPORTANT stuff, especially to a boy who never even wears shoes because slippers and bare feet are way more cool!

He did not want or need a prerace chat. I tried really hard to be the "super supportive mom", you know, "You can just have fun, no worries about win or lose, love ya, try your best, say hi to your friends". He just ran lap after lap, by the time he was done warming up he ran at least 10x the distance of the race itself. Once again I didn't let the "trimom" in me come out, the one that wanted to say, "just chill a little, save it for the race", instead, the boy ran and ran and I smiled! (actually I could take a few lessons from him on prerace).

He lined up in karate stance, I asked, he told me he wanted to be in "ready position" like sensai makes them practice. "Trimom" had to bite her lip and tongue, and refrain from reminding him THIS IS A RUN not karate, but I let him prepare with karate fists clenched, then took on the butterflies for him. (This should serve as a lesson, you gotta prepare in a way that works for you, not someone else).

3...2...1... and they were off! His wave (yes there were a few heats) had 7 of them and Kainoa was in 6th, then 4th, and hung to 2nd for almost the rest of the race. On the side lines were his dad & Tara, little brother, aunties and uncles, and of course "trimom". I wanted SOOOOOO bad to shout out, "GO, you got this, push to the finish", but instead I just cheered for all the kids and took pictures and yelled one time, "Goooooooooooo Kainoa". It's so hard to be a trimom sometimes, you get all excited and fired up, I think that's okay, but I'm afraid to look like a soccer mom, (NO OFFENSE SOCCER MOMS), okay, I'm afraid to look like "some" soccer moms, they have the most intense reputation for "cheering their children to wins" that I have ever seen in children sports. At least the farthest from the karate moms, we all just watch and oooh and ahhhhh, its so night & day different. Anyways, I could tell I'd be a soccer mom that would get kicked off the field so thankfully Kainoa doesn't want that sport, (yet, anyway).
.

The finish...Kainoa won. Just as the lead boy got in the finish shoot he noticed his mom on the sidelines full on cheering, he stops, FULL stop, like the kind you do at a stop sign when a cop is behind you, looks over to her, and in that second Kainoa runs through for the win. Of course I felt a little bad, I made Kainoa give the boy a hand shake & say "good race" at the end. It was cool. The little boy seemed to care way less than his mom, of course Kainoa was stoked, I was beyond glad I held myself somewhat calm as a "trimom".

Thankfully Kainoa is still at that age when hugging mom in public is cool, so I got a good hug out of him. Well, until he noticed the girl of his dreams. Wailana graduated from his preschool last year and her little sister is in Kainoa's class this year, he has had a crush on her for 2 years now...

...so he ditched me and put his arm around Wailana...nice.

Then of course a little congrats from dad, Tara, and baby brother. It was a cool day for the little champ. After all the postrace jumping around and family moments it was off to recover at the beach!



I may have learned more at Kainoa's race than I have at some of my own races. Do your own thing, keep calm, don't ever stop till the finish line, eat what you like, have fun, start in "ready stance" like in karate class if you must, and of course ditch your parents as soon as you see your friends (or in his case his crush)...

.

Happy racing,

Bree



12 Comments:

Blogger marian said...

congratulations to kainoa! how cool!

ps. are you racing rev3 in portland?

June 18, 2011 at 4:52 PM

 
OpenID Jennifer said...

Whoo hoo, congrats Kainoa!! He's super-lucky to have such a loving, active, encouraging mom (my folks were couch potatoes!)

June 18, 2011 at 5:23 PM

 
Blogger Terrish B said...

What a wonderful life :) xoxo

June 18, 2011 at 5:37 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

What cuties,the most important thing at their age is that they enjoy the sport/races to keep them coming back for more.
Did he give you his medal too? :-) Pass my congratulations to Kainoa.

June 19, 2011 at 12:35 AM

 
Blogger Bre said...

what an awesome post, I love all the lessons that kids can teach you about racing. Lovin the cinnamon roll fuel. That's pretty awesome that he can transfer skills learned in karate to another sport already- ready stance obviously works! Tell Kainoa congrats on a great race :)

June 19, 2011 at 3:48 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Cutest race report ever. And wise.

Kainoa is a happy boy!

June 19, 2011 at 2:32 PM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Yeah! Congrats to Kainoa! How cool. My 5 year old learned to ride two wheels today. I was so proud, you'd think he won an Olympic gold medal!

Great post!

June 19, 2011 at 4:47 PM

 
Blogger KevinandSpring said...

Awesome post...you provide such an amazing atomospere for that boy, he is going to be a stud just like his mom.

June 19, 2011 at 9:10 PM

 
Blogger Kim said...

What a great race!! Go Kainoa!! Sounds like you handled it perfectly and a good time was had by all!!

June 20, 2011 at 4:06 AM

 
Blogger tinaparker87 said...

Congrads Kainoa! You kept going for the win! Whoo Hoo.

June 20, 2011 at 5:52 AM

 
Blogger Monica said...

So wonderful!!! Another champ in the family!

June 20, 2011 at 10:10 PM

 
Blogger Furacán said...

Congrats Kainoa!
I smile when i read about "soccer moms", if you come here...

June 21, 2011 at 4:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home