Aloha!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

....Ahhhhh, Home.

Being home meant waking up to make Kainoa breakfast, getting him to school on time, and landing in the ocean! Its the best feeling to love where you go and return home loving where you come from even more. The day began with the sunrise over Hualalai and the winds of this island waking everyone up with salty air.

.

The ocean was so wild this morning, not with waves and currents, dolphins. In a million or more ocean swims today was beyond the ordinary. The dolphins would swim over us, under us, jump above us, dive towards us, then circle us as if in a parade. It wasn't a scary feeling, nothing that had me concerned with the behavior, but it was not their normal curiosity and cruise. For as long as they played with us we played right back. They let us swim with them, even encouraged our swimming. It was beautiful to say the very, very least.











After a morning in the deep blue we swam back towards shore. To my left was "something" that swam a large part of the way in near me. Out the corner of my eye it looked like a dolphin so I ignored it and kept swimming, but then it came towards me in its "side to side fashion" not the dolphin motion and I stopped. Wendy on my right stopped too and told me, "Bree its a shark, keep moving". I asked if we should tell the other 2 (they are pretty scared of sharks) and she told me to just keep going now and don't freak them out. Animals, especially sharks, can smell fear so she made a good call to not panic the others. It was my scariest shark run in. Not so much because it was close, Ive been closer, but the way it was watching us and cruising with us. The way it wasn't on the ocean bottom like the reef sharks and black and white tips. Those sharks never scare me, we chase them with cameras. This shark was a bit bigger than the usual ones that swim in these parts and near the surface, swimming with us then towards us.
.

I'm not usually one to be scare in the ocean, its all too much like home to me, but I was actually feeling like my feet were about to become breakfast. You could more than see it, you could just feel it's presence and its mission. I may have closed my eyes the rest of the swim to shore...

.

We got to shore Jaws free and as everyone knows, dolphins are almost ALWAYS around when the sharks are near, they have a thing about keeping the ocean safe and today I really believe the way they were literally all over us they were protecting us. It was brilliant!

The morning calmed down, I built my bike back up, tackled some laundry that was covered in dirty race smells of Portland, and then some RELAX. I don't want to relax, my body wants to go train and prepare for the next race, I feel better than good, the motivation is actually still there unlike the usual post race motivational recharge sometimes needed. But........ that would not result in RECOVERY so back to the beach. We recovered under the palm trees, in the ocean alongside honu, slow motion....






Then back to the beach. Yes, I know, 3 beaches in a single day can happen pretty easy when you live on an island. The sunset called, Kainoa was craving sand in his dinner and of course I'll take this over evening television any day. So we answered and landed at the beach, again. Recovery only lasts a week around here so I'll take full advantage of it. Next on the map is Philippines 70.3 and Kindergarten! I suppose its safe to say Kainoa and I are both fully loading up on Summer "recovery/vacation"...

.

Until tomorrow, or the next post, GOOD NIGHT!

Bree



8 Comments:

Blogger Terrish B said...

God Bless You for posting these pictures for me to enjoy. I am so grateful that I can still "live" in the Islands through your post. Thank you Bree!! Enjoy & Aloha!

July 12, 2011 at 11:02 PM

 
Blogger Caroline said...

Ack, sharks! That's definitely scary stuff. But the ocean sounds so beautiful, especially with the dolphins, it would be hard to stay away, even with a shark scare. So glad Rev3 Portland went so well - enjoy your recovery!

July 13, 2011 at 1:45 AM

 
Blogger PocoLocoMan said...

How blessed you are to enjoy nature the way you do! Weird part is, as I read the first part about the dolphins, the first thing I thought was "wow, it's almost like they are keeping them part of the pack to protect them from a shark"...

Glad nothing came of it other than a good story and some great pictures!

July 13, 2011 at 3:38 AM

 
Blogger Christy said...

Beautiful pictures! They were definitely watching over you all....

July 13, 2011 at 5:58 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

I think I stopped breathing while I was reading the part about the shark! WOW pretty much sums up the ENTIRE thing! So glad you had those little angel dolphins playing with you guys today. COngrats again on your race this past weekend! A whole bunch of AWESOMENESS!

July 13, 2011 at 8:05 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

so do I live on an island but life couldn't be more different
:-) !!

Can't see the sea normally but will be swimming in it this saturday (Brighton pier to pier swim: 1 mile - no sharks...I think!)

I was marvelling at your pictures of dolphins and telling my husband about them until you mentioned sharks. I don't know what I'd do in your place. You're so brave!!!
please keep safe and thanks for gorgeous pictures

July 13, 2011 at 8:38 AM

 
Blogger Nat said...

Bree - Congratulations on your strong and solid race in Portland! Also, I'm so glad you remained safe and the sharks didn't come after you all. So scary to a mainland girl! Enjoy your recovery with your sweet boy :)

July 13, 2011 at 6:57 PM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Congrats on your REV3 race, awesome! Those are some beautiful pics!! I am in awe of your bravery in the great wide blue with those sharks... those dolphins friends definitely were there to protect you, how amazing. Be safe, happy recovery! :)

July 17, 2011 at 7:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home