Aloha!

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Aloha From Portland...

A few years ago I had this book I'd read to my third graders, "The Three Questions". A young boy was in search of knowing how to be a good person and throughout the story a wise turtle helps him find the answers, "There is only one important time, and that time is now. The most important one is always the one you are with. And the most important thing is to do good for the one who is standing at your side.". Pretty much the book was about being in the right spot at the right time and appreciating that spot in your life and the ones that are in it at that moment or season, you get the idea...
.
So off I go on the flight to Portland and as we fly over the ocean I just keep thinking how I've got this awesome opportunity, (now), this is the right time, (Kainoa is at his dads this week anyways), so this is where I am supposed to be, on this plane, heading to race in Portland. Then I pull out my book, (pictured above in case you are looking for a quick read, I finished it long before we touched down). Then, wouldn't you guess it, the in flight movie came on and it was Soul Surfer, the movie launched prior to the book written by Bethany's mom that I was reading. Already saw the flick & know all of her story so I kept reading her moms view, anyways, it had me totally calm and at peace with this trip. It was as if as I was leaving home, home was coming with me in a very small way, by the movie playing across the ocean...
Landed in Portland and before long the hustle and bustle of traffic at night, on a freeway, while very lost, soon had me not-so-calm. I was craving that peace back, so I made a wise choice and got a GPS from the rental car man. So far its the absolute best $13 a day investment I've made traveling. Now on the go, clenching the steering wheel tightly hoping not to crash into the cars on both sides of me and in front, I came to downtown Portland. The city lights filled the entire night sky and all of a sudden I felt that peace again. It was so beautiful! The lights danced on water like nothing I ever saw! More than you know I wanted to pull over on the bridge and take a photo but there were 3 lanes of traffic not letting me merge, not to mention no where to stop. Took a photo in my head.
.
Back home in Hawaii there is a saying about the sky giving us hope and direction by what fills it. Usually rainbows, but other things fill the Hawaiian skies too and when they do they bring us that calm peace that everything is is going to be okay. Last night the city lights that filled the sky I took as my reminder that everything is alright...then I was chilled out again.
.
A few miles later, turning on Tenth St., a song came on the radio. It was Tenth Ave. North! Okay, not a coincidence or anything with the "Tenths", but it was all the more reassuring to hear Tenth Ave. North jamming all the way in Portland! I went to college with the guys of that band! Before they made it big they would play their tunes in our dorm rooms for us. For sure that peace was even more concrete, the right place at the right time filled all of me!

Today I woke up after feeling like hibernation. Its not that cold but under a down blanket in the basement of a beautiful home it was hard to wake up. Jet lag had me baaaaaaaaaaaaad! Finally made my way to Blue Lake, race location. Guess what, no swimming. We rode bikes, it was awesome. You could see Washington on one side of the river, (think it was a river). It's super flat and right about now I'm appreciating that as my legs feel like they may be back on the island soaking up the sun. I'm sure they will arrive in time to race...



After the ride we still didn't swim. We can go to that rope and back but not beyond it or past the white fence, hmmm. Tonight I'm hoping to jump in the pool with the PCC crew instead, ill wait for the wetsuit legal swim to open. It is really pretty here in Portland and so far everyone I've met or cut off in traffic or been honked at by are really friendly.






3 more sleeps till a big day at the office,


Bree




7 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Glad you made it safely! GPS is my best friend! See you soon!

tn

July 7, 2011 at 5:16 PM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

It is going to be a great day!!

July 8, 2011 at 2:10 AM

 
Blogger Big Daddy Diesel said...

Have fun and good luck!!

Are you racing Cedar Point as well?

July 8, 2011 at 4:32 AM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Looks like a nice lake :) Have a great race Bree !!!

July 8, 2011 at 11:51 AM

 
Blogger marian said...

hey, the sun came back! might be looking good for sunday!

have a great race!

July 8, 2011 at 12:34 PM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Did you try what Maggs suggested changing the GPS voice? So glad you are travelling safe and I'm looking forward to following your speedy awesome race! GO CHICA GO!

July 8, 2011 at 6:33 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

That sky you see in Portland is the same on you see in hawaii but from a different prespective. The same moon and the same sun.
Have a great race and enjoy the place, knowing that soon you'll be back home. I loved your inspirational words. So true! Stay in the moment riright now.

July 9, 2011 at 8:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home