Aloha!

Friday, July 1, 2011

Being Mom...

5 years ago from today I took an ocean swim with the girls. The next day would be Hapuna Rough Water swim and we had to be "race ready". I never made it to the swim, went to the hospital later that day and woke up a mom. Kainoa seriously could have been born in the water...

My water baby turns 5 tomorrow morning at 5:30ish. Kainoa has made my entire life beautiful. Okay, so the poopy diapers, throw up, screaming while teething, and all nighters really weren't all that beautiful, but he makes everything better in this world. Motherhood did not come easy for me but loving him has been the easiest, most effortless moments of life.

Today we celebrated with cake at the beach, making a giant blue mess of the sand and each other!






A handful of the people Kainoa loves most in the world were there to celebrate with him. And of course, his special day ended with a sunset. Well, his birthday really isn't till tomorrow, but we are starting early and plan to keep it rolling through the weekend...

This week has been a giant celebration complete with his hand-made surf magazine cut up invitations to the beach, to the pool, to eat cake, to Hapuna...it goes on and on.

Of course between cake making and motherhood I landed on a very long ride today. It was perfect, almost like a little break from the hustle and bustle of organizing. AND the new cranks are still something I can't keep my big mouth silent about, I just LOVE them! Spinning into headwind, up hills, and just being able to keep my cadence normal has been awesome! Seriously can't believe my short legs were on 72's rather than these 67's!

.

As for the nutrition I've been scarfing from farmers markets, I tried SO HARD today to only use gels, sports drinks, bars. In fact I passed up one market pretending it was a race and my only options were those "sporty things". BUT on the way back I caved big time, had to ride full speed ahead into a favorite pit stop for sticky rice. Maybe REV3 Portland (my next race) will have some sticky rice wrapped in ti leaves!


Motherhood has been good to me. As for me being good at it, some days for sure. Other days, I am at a loss for words. Today on the way home from school Kainoa asked me how will he know when he turns 5 and will it hurt. I made up an entire story, it must be the school teacher in me that comes up with such random stories on the spur of the moment. I told him, "Kainoa while you are sleeping the Birthday Fairy comes in and says, "abra cadabra" and then when you wake up you are 5". He didn't like that, a little worried it might hurt to turn 5 and of course not liking the idea of some little fairy going in his room. Yeah, you guessed it, he is sleeping in my bed hiding from the birthday fairy. It never occurred to me what a kid might wonder about turning the next age and when/how it happens.



The other best part of the day is the broken Kona Pool, not that I like it broken, but it meant practice was moved to the ocean! AWESOME! You better believe it made my entire day start out good, and well, that's where I was 5 years ago from this day, the ocean! By the way, it's still a sharky Summer. A shark yesterday and 5-12 were spotted this morning. Coach counted 5ish, Dave counted 12ish. As long as no attacks happen I don't mind 100 sharks on the ocean floor checking out only the reef.

.

Happy 4th of July weekend, break out some sparklers and light it up! WHOOOP, WHOOOP!!

Bree



6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Happy birthday to Kainoa!! :)

July 1, 2011 at 11:47 PM

 
Blogger marian said...

congratulations! that looks like a fabulous day. and you are so creative with the invites!love them.

July 2, 2011 at 8:53 PM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

One of the things I love about my son's birthday is that is my anniversary of becoming a mother. So in celebration of your birth as a mommy, I leave you a quote:

“There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one” ~Jill Churchill

July 3, 2011 at 8:57 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

Happy Birthday Kainoa! It has been fun watching you grow up before my eyes on your momma's blog!

July 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Happy birthday to Kainoa!! :)

July 4, 2011 at 5:42 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

It sounds like you had a great day. Children ask the funniest questions, honestly! "Getting older, does it hurt?" you can tell him it will be another 70 - 80years before it does.....I think.

July 6, 2011 at 9:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home