Aloha!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Running Wild 'N Free...

As an athlete most training days can be summed up as either good or bad. We get the work done as best as we can, sometimes it goes all wrong or we feel all wrong, other days everything falls into place. But every once in a while we land those perfect training days. The ones where you are beyond thankful for your health, your abilities, and just being able to go, see, feel, and experience a challenge and come out on top. Almost as if nothing stands in your way. Those are the days...
.
Today was my "better than good day" of this training block. It happened earlier than expected, Ill gladly take it, and of course I hope a few more of these "better than good" training days happen before the next big race. Today began with a ride. It was windy and hot but my legs wanted to ride, in fact it might be a good thing I did it solo as I was fully in my own little world, me and my bike. From bike to the ocean. The swim was recovery, it had plenty of time to enjoy good company and embrace the salty paradise we call home.
.
...and then the run. The run made a good training day BETTER THAN GOOD...

We got to run through privately own pastures filled with horses and cows. The trails were lightly marked, just enough to know where to go but not enough to keep you from stepping in cow poop. Even a dead cow died happy in this place!


I could not wipe the smile off my face. Running so wild, so free, almost lost but perfectly directed. More than any run of my entire life, I wanted to run all day, for as long as my body could go. We ran about 11 miles and it was not nearly enough, not even close. Im already dreaming of a return to my run heaven on Earth...



Not that I like dead animals, but it was sort of wild running into these horses and cows that have died and just remain part of the land. It wasnt a scary feeling, it was more of a venture into the unknown as we didnt know what to expect around each turn. And now, you might think Im really gross, but I pulled out a tooth from the dead horse for Kainoa. It's sort of like a souvenier from this incredible run.

















My legs feel so alive, my heart feels so filled with thankfulness that at this moment in life, this is my job, and of course all of me wants to tackle more days like this again, and again...


On the way back to town we found one more little gem tucked along the side of the road, fresh fruits and veggies. It was a better than good day in paradise!


.


Thankful,


Bree



3 Comments:

Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Such great pics and glad to see you weren't running through fields alone!

July 21, 2011 at 6:36 AM

 
Blogger marian said...

quite the interesting run!!
that would make anyone's day better.

July 21, 2011 at 7:54 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

Oh I can't run at the moment and to see your carefree running pictures just makes me want to be out there "pounding the pavement" even more :-(.
In my case i run past a family of giraffes as my usual route takes me through the London Zoo.
Go and run for me whilst my stress fracture heals Bree!

July 25, 2011 at 8:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home