Aloha!

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Training With (and around) Kainoa...

Ride number 2 of the day folks, it was good stuff! Kainoa has been more than my trusty side kick this week, he has been my cheerleader, biggest fan, and training partner. It has been a balance act like no other this week finding time to get in my swimbikerun sessions & manage Kainoa's Summer. If my next race didn't depend on "training" and attacking my plan the way anybody else attacks their job I would not mind at all taking time off to Summer-it-up 24/7 with Kainoa, but this momma just cant afford to do that. SO I am balancing like I've never balanced before...
.
The biggest thing I have found, (and it should serve as a lesson to anyone and everyone in all ways), is that those that offer to help actually want to help. I've totally found that when someone reaches out to give an hour so you can make swim practice, or sit with them while you run, or even help pick up a mess for you, they probably really don't mind. A major struggle of mine has always been the need to feel like I can do it all, all by myself. BUT some friends and my sister have stepped up to the plate and its been really refreshing...
.
I ran a good run, then rode an easy ride, Kainoa played. He just told me, "go fast mom", then we can play. I went as fast as I could (on the run), then ignored the "fast mom" part on my recovery spin. Shhhhh, don't tell him I was cruising... He swam, swam, swam, more swim, more beach, did I mention it's Summer?? Then we had to refuel and repay the sitters...


We mixed up a few servings of that granola we have been making for the sister and those that have helped us out this week. And you will never believe what happened next... Kainoa FELL ASLEEP! Looks like a week out of school is more exhausting than he imagined....


I wanted to nap too, it didn't happen. Maybe tomorrow!


Kainoa then asked to run 2 miles! I'm not even kidding, he asked to run 2 full miles! This week of training with mom and no school is really starting to turn him into a little athlete! We ran alright, directly to a hammock! hahahaha. How could a parent not love these moments?!


We relaxed at sunset with my sister, her family, and a friend. It was such a good, LONG, day. Now I'm sitting here watching Smurfs with Kainoa, he is doing my hair while I type this, and truly training with Kainoa, around his Summer, is making me appreciate sport in a whole new light. Before this Summer it always felt more like a "selfish" sport, I just go at it mostly alone. But this Summer it's been more of a family job. I bet as Kainoa gets older we really will get to do more runs and rides together and before long he will be swimming out farther in the ocean with me. I'm also learning that even at his age he can be a bigger part of what I do, not to mention his little pep talks, like "go faster mom", it encourages me more than he knows just yet. There are a couple of us up for "fastest tri-mom" and whenever that honor has my name near it he for sure gets the credit...


Ahh, that's the sister doing her part to show me how to balance (no hands), while we played at sunset. She looks like one of those Jackie Chan girls that do those moves in air and kung fu everyone upside down. I'm not even going to try all the things she was doing, ever. But I will keep letting her free hands help out so I can make swim practice...


.


Happy training, and parents, invite your little ones along for a session or two this Summer, guaranteed it will respark your passion for sport in a new light...


.


Bree & Kainoa



6 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Love this post Bree and happy to hear all is well. Kainoa is just the cutest kid!

July 29, 2011 at 4:54 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

When Kainoa gets back to school and the teachers ask him what he did on holiday, he'll have a long list of adventures to tell them about. and watch out Bree! that 2 mile run one day will become a 20 miler.

July 29, 2011 at 6:39 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Awesomeness all around! Your sis's toes should be pointed though hahaha jj, I don't think I could do that anymore, it must be all her yoga! Come to Vancouver and I'll watch our lil dudes while you train FAST and then we can all play:) Have a SUPER weekend Chica!

July 29, 2011 at 6:56 AM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

My preferred blog !!!!!!!!! increible siempre Amigaaa!!!! ;DDD

July 29, 2011 at 9:10 AM

 
Blogger Lani said...

please oh please tell me that you wear a helmet when you ride? That the top picture is just a blog shot? PLEASE! If anything happens to your head what would I read?

July 29, 2011 at 4:04 PM

 
Blogger Nat said...

Such sweet moments with your adorable son! Love it.

July 31, 2011 at 5:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home