Aloha!

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Breathing in Beautiful...

Call me blessed, lucky, no worries whatever you want to call it. I am thankful for life on an island. The past couple training days have been so beautiful. Usually after a race the week is full on recovery, slow going, and playing catch-up on all the things left undone while away. Not this week. The flight home was not just 11 hours of cramped sleeping. It was a lot of reorganizing, prioritizing, and a little rearranging. With a little help from coach I think the plan for the back half of the season will have some changes for the better. That said, new inspiration for training is lingering, and I'm breathing in the beauty of home...

After Thursdays smashing hill ride and easy breezy run in the sun, (that run never felt easy after a ride like that), Friday came along...swimmingly. With my refocused, inspired plan in place and some incredibly talented athletes on island for mini-Ironman-training camps, I was ready to take in all the training "beat up" I could handle. These opportunities to train with some of the best of the best do not happen everyday, must embrace these days they are here...

Rolled out of bed and directly to the beach. Magic Sands Beach to be exact. If you have been following the Hawaii shark attacks, beach closers, rescues, and tiger sightings you already know Magic's has been shut down, closed off, and been tiger infested a few too many times this Summer. It was also the beach that prior to Philippines, had a tiger lurking after Jim (pictured above) and life guards screaming for him to get out. Anyways, Amanda Stevens & Sam Warriner also found the beach a good spot for a Friday morning. They are fish, combined with the 262 world swim records Karlyn (the woman in the middle) holds, there is no way I wanted to be dropped, HELLO SHARK BAIT for TIGERS! No thank you...

.

We took off for a 2 mile ocean race, ITU style. Okay, it was just fast swimming, but man it was faster than I have ever swum in my entire life. In fact, 3 others started with us and they must not have been too worried about being the shark bait because they didn't make the "survival", er draft from the above fastest feet I ever swam with. I am not kidding when I tell you snot was flying, legs were burning, my calves were cramping, but I had no intention of being left alone 2 miles away with tigers of any kind, especially the shark kind. My arms still hurt. I wish with all my heart I could swim like that all the time, in racing, in moments other than not wanting to be shark bait. Anyways, that crew was unreal and I appreciated them letting me catch a ride on their feet, giving me swim tips, and pulling me because there was no way I was pulling any of that...

Did I mention I was praying? Honest to goodness praying to hold on and make it back with them. And guess what happened, right here they stopped! This girl finally got to take my camera out of my suit, (they aren't slow enough to actually snap a picture while racing, I mean swimming). And right here I caught my breath, looked back to shore, and realized once again, beeeeeeaaaaaaauuuutiful!
...and then handstands on coral?! You have to be kidding me, I always knew these girls were some of the most fun in sport, but during training? AWESOME! And... I'd like to put it on paper that while I can't exactly swim like them, I can out-coral-handstand them.


This one I snapped, Jim on the left and all the fast girls to his right. I was the last to make it to the "recover into shore" spot, however I'm so thankful for the above feet that pulled me along. You better believe from here on in we recovered to the beach, I caught my breath, and can hardly wait to do it again next Friday!

.

This morning was just a 4hr ride but man it smacked me around. Perhaps, too stubborn to admit it, last weekends race, the travel, Thursday and Friday all of a sudden caught up to me. After the ride I landed face first in my pillows and got out of my overly relaxing position just in time for a very hot date...

...with my run shoes. Oh man it felt like mile 20 of a marathon. Nothing pretty about it. However, there was this one moment I was looking with a face I never look with and my run buddy asked me, "what in the heck are you looking at?". You know what I was doing? I was looking for that spot in a race where you are tempted to give in, slow down, let go, because I was feeling it in a training run! I actually was trying to be in that horrible spot and try to deal with it rather than tune it out. I like to tune it out with the IPOD, today I looked for it. Sorry, I don't have any brilliant insight or answers found from that moment, but it was an oddly good spot to go. Yes, I crashed hard after that. Ironman training, you must be on your way to my body.

Tomorrow is a very nice long run, I was given permission to "cruise" and I plan to do just that. Perhaps the "easy when easy" and "hard when hard" is finally being learned. Alright, enjoy your Sunday, cruise through it if you can and if not, go fast.

.

Bree




4 Comments:

Blogger PocoLocoMan said...

Someday I will live in a place like that... really... I will. Sigh...

August 21, 2011 at 5:30 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

What a great swimming bunch! I would definitely become shark bait if I had to swim with any of you.
:-(

August 21, 2011 at 8:35 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

Now this looks like so much fun! Promise to do handstands underwater next time we are in town? What a fab day/training week! Miss you girl! tn

August 21, 2011 at 11:11 AM

 
Blogger Damie said...

love it, Bree! Looks like you are having such a good time. Enjoy the company!!!!!!

August 21, 2011 at 1:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home