Aloha!

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Counting Blessings...

Today had that unexplainable, hard to put into words, almost at a loss for words, type feeling. All day. It did make for a really strong run though, perhaps faster than some races ran. With this lingering feeling hanging overhead there was only one thing to do, get outside and count some blessings...
.
My sister and I loaded our boys on the bikes and rode to the market where we over dosed on the fruits and veggies of all colors of the rainbow. We were so thankful to have each other, our health to ride bikes, live in a safe spot in the world where we can be outside anytime we want, and have such easy access to good food and beautiful places all around us. The list went on and on of how we got to spend Saturday in such a state of appreciation and well, simple.
.
We had been talking about the 9/11 events and know all too well of those hurting around the world as they remember loved ones lost and moments taken too soon. I don't even know what to say, feel, or think. I'm just thankful that despite knowing anyone personally involved I can feel some pain for them, that my heart works strong enough to love despite not even knowing personally any of them, I just love the people that reached out to help, to save, to risk their lives, and those that can stand tall and brave even after loved ones have been taken from them. I can't even imagine.
.
I was in college when 9/11 happened and remember our school being asked to send our Bibles to NY. I'm not kidding, my sister and I were at Palm Beach Atlantic University (a small Christian school), and dozens of families involved in 9/11 all wanted Bibles and asked some of the campuses to send theirs. You know what? I'll never forget this moment, I went to the store to buy a new one because I loved my Bible too much to give it away. I stood in line to pay and seriously got this jolting shock through my entire body like I was being really selfish. Of course I didn't know why, I was buying something new for someone rather than giving my own ripped up, torn cover, marked all over, grubby thing. Then it hit me, they wanted "ours". They asked for ones with hope and love already touched on them. You better believe I about cried! If you have ever seen my Bible, my friends know, it's a cluster of my life with photos, letters, special dates, super personal. But it landed in the box to NY for a special family that wanted it. Of all the things to ask for after losing their family members I couldn't hang on to it if I tried.
.
Some of the survivors and those who lost family members had written letters about how much they hated God and lost faith or are glad they never had any. Others had nothing left so clung only to their faith. And some wrote that they saw God as they stood in the building as it crumbled around them but not on them. After some letters I didn't know if my Bible would be going to a family that wanted to burn it or one that needed to hold tight to it, it's safe in NY at this moment...
Over fruits and vegetables so much went on in my head. If it wasn't 9/11 it was REV3 Cedar Point tomorrow. I was on that start list and today I am home in Hawaii, not racking my bike for 140.6 miles of swimbikerun. Oh man I wanted to cry. It felt horrible to not be there for the REV3/TRAKKERS family who has supported me so much since getting full blasted into triathlon. And I wanted to race, I love to race, it runs deep within me. But how can I be sad about missing a race when tomorrow is 10 years after 9/11 and people will be missing way more than a race...? I just can't be. I counted MORE blessings...

Pineapples affordable, 10 papayas for 2 bucks, the prices were good today. Then Vegas 70.3, the world champs popped into my head. I've actually been fortunate enough to qualify for that each of my years in sport, but this year was different, this year I had to pass up the slot (not because I didn't want to race), but in some part it's not as affordable as the papayas and pineapples. Again, I had to get over the racing, move beyond not racing, and focus on something more, WHERE I AM NOW, WHO I AM WITH NOW, AND WHAT I AM DOING NOW.

.

On this weekend I am with Kainoa, riding bikes, playing at the beach, training for another start line, and spending time with my sister. I'm with them, I'm here, and if 9/11 wasn't a big enough reminder to appreciate each moment even if we don't understand them, then I'll just count my blessings till I figure it out...

The sister and nephew, counted them!

To all those touched, taken, and given to the 9/11 events, my heart goes out to you. Despite not having the words to say or even know how to really help, here are some lei's from Kainoa and me, we appreciate you and have counted you as a blessing. To each of the triathletes racing, I hope you have a strong day out there, good luck and have fun!!

.

Bree



6 Comments:

Blogger PocoLocoMan said...

We really do need to count our blessings and appreciate what we have... and what a wonderful thing you did to give up your bible that meant so much to you!

September 11, 2011 at 5:23 AM

 
Blogger Kat Verduzco said...

Know that you are giving blessings to all of us who read your words of inspiration, and we send you back blessings through the airwaves for your positive outlook and upbeat attitude in the face of life's challenges....I know that the fruit of your labors is around the corner, in everything from general life to race results to financial ease. From a working mom of one to a working mom of one.... Thank you for a beautiful post.

September 11, 2011 at 4:17 PM

 
Blogger And Miles 2 Go said...

Wonderful perspective, Bree. Thanks for this. I needed to hear this.

September 12, 2011 at 3:07 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Bree, I absolutely love the story about giving away your Bible. Mine is like that too - so torn and tattered and coming apart at the seams! I'm sure yours was a blessing to someone 10 years ago. So awesome!!

September 13, 2011 at 2:01 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

When else fails faith is what keeps us going. We had a 1 minute silence at lunchtime in wales during the marathon portion of Im wales. The competitors going past must have thought we didn't want to cheer them on anymore.

September 13, 2011 at 3:14 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

I meant "when everything else fails"

September 13, 2011 at 3:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home