Aloha!

Friday, September 2, 2011

Going Long...

SO excited! Tomorrow is going to be my longest ride of the year (so far). Shhh, zip it, I know all of you have already done an Ironman this season and/or tackled LOTS of long ones, this is my first BIGGIE of the year. All week long I focused really hard on train n' recover. In fact, I skipped all the surf and only allowed beach time at sunset. Good girl, I know.

However, somehow, in some weird way I found trouble without even looking. STORY OF MY LIFE. After a couple middle distance rides this week in the VERY HOT Hawaiian sunshine, then some runs in the heat, followed by swims in the middle of the day (HELLO awesome tan lines), I woke up feeling like a train wreck. Blah. Still dragged myself to swim practice with a nice note from coach, "get in some bonus yards", that means do more than the 3,000 yds that make up our masters workouts. Ugh, I was hurting. Having Coach Steve on deck though always makes you feel like a super star and somehow or another I began to feel good and fast. But not better. I was dizzy and landed home in bed. Seriously thought I was sick. Called one of my best friends for help and he came to check on me. Very thankful for good people in my life that remind me I'm still alive even when I don't feel very alive :)

.

Later, after a doc appointment I find out I'm dehydrated. AWESOME. Not really. Nobody wants that and certainly not the day before going long. I like to brag about how good I am in the heat, with salts, with hydration-HUMBLE PIE IN MY FACE. I'm still going long tomorrow. BUT I'm taking pressure off. Just going for the time on the bike, no numbers or splits or pace. No need to dig into a giant hole. Well, my dear friends coming over to race Ironman in a couple weeks let this serve to you, half the peeps on the island are suffering minor to more dehydration. Sleeping is so hot, you just sweat all night and wake up with water loss. Be safe, prepare for some heat...

...and when you get back from a day in the sun (training or playing) REHYDRATE. Straight up water is not enough though. Mix up some electrolytes.

Tomorrow is going to be a full on salty mess! Thankfully they started selling coconut water in those little easy to carry packages too, perfect for jersey pockets. I'll let you know how it goes. It's going to be a long cruise ride out there tomorrow. Happy training wherever you are. AND if you happen to be on the island, CHECK OUT Lilio tomorrow! I'm going to blast out of here early in hopes of making it back in time to see all the canoes land in the bay. It's the Ironman of paddling...

.

Good night and Happy Labor Day weekend!

Bree




2 Comments:

Blogger krystyna47 said...

I'm daydreaming about all your road-side fruitstands. There are 3 thigns I love in life: triathlons, nature and FRUITS!!!!

September 3, 2011 at 10:44 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

and I thought riding in the cold and wet was bad.. I suppose each weather extreme has its own downsides. By now you've done the ride with no problems. Well done!

September 4, 2011 at 8:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home