Aloha!

Friday, September 30, 2011

Kook...

If you ever been surfing you know about the kooks. The odd fish out, sort of like a rookie, clueless and just not getting it. Don't worry, we are all kooks at some point, some just way more than others. BUT today, I saw KOOKS above and beyond anything I've ever seen in my life. You better believe every local in the traffic had the word, "koooooooooooks" rolling out their mouths when this bunch came rolling down the street. (I tried to crop off the heads so I don't embarrass anyone too much, my apologize).
.
Look super close at the picture, kooks right? I'm the car on the right side, you can see bottom right the "S" on my blue shirt in the rear view mirror. On the left of the photo is the oncoming traffic. And you guessed it, a nice line of kooks were riding bikes down the middle of the street, on the yellow line that divides North bound and South bound traffic. Man did I feel bad for them, clueless. I understand mixing up right side and left side because you came from another country that rides on the opposite side of the road, but the MIDDLE of traffic, no.
.
Anyways, we have had 3 bike accidents now that the Ironman athletes have rolled in. In fact, Tuesday my sister picked one of them up and gave him a ride home. He was so busted up and the bike was a mess. He didn't want the car that hit him or police to come, so she gave him a ride home. Of course I feel bad for the accidents, really I do. So to make sure anyone reading that isn't sure, on the island we bike on the right side of the road. We ride in the shoulder if possible, and for sure on the side of the road, not the middle. Okay, now that we cleared that up, please be safe out there...
In my bike news, 5 rides done, 2 to go. It's been very fun riding (as you have read recently). Today I scored another wheel, just not for long. He dropped me good and never looked back, suppose a girl can't always get a free ride. When he rolled up to me I was jamming pretty good to a favorite tune on the IPOD, oh yeah. Out loud singing. He did wave and smile, maybe hiding laughter or wishing he had ear plugs. I grabbed the wheel for as long as I could and had a blast for as long as it lasted. Tomorrow is my 112-er. Nobody wants to roll that long, wonder why? Maybe because NEXT week they will be racing that, hmm, so I'm pretty much solo and ready for it. NO WORRIES.
.
It's bed time, again. Hope you are having a great start to a good weekend! AND please ride safe... PS. Check out the bottom photo, its a great shot of not just the wheel I hugged, but check out how far over he is riding from the white traffic line. AWESOME, safe. Lots of kokua to the local traffic and pretty smart dude to keep his life a little safer out there...copy him. He was MUCH faster too...
.
Bree



2 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

That's a beautifully huge shoulder in that last shot, you'd better believe I"ll be far over on the right side of it next week! I sure hope someone let those folks know a safer spot in the road to ride....

October 1, 2011 at 10:10 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Francis said...

BREE. I'm afraid to say, here in London the government actually asks cyclists to ride near the centre line rather than on the shoulder to avoid them being crushed by lorries when they are turning (left in our case). I'd rather stay in between the cars in my lane than go near the centre line as it scares me....being sandwiched between 2 double decker buses isn't funny either.
I hope there are no more accidents this week and I'm sure all of you on the island will be looking out for (and after) all your international visitors.

October 4, 2011 at 1:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home