Aloha!

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Days Like These...

Yesterday came at perfect timing. A few days had rolled into what reflected a mess. The cranks did not work on my bike, my bike is not ready to roll (but I rolled it anyways). Thursday, 4 days before flying to Florida the cranks (that work for my bike) should arrive. Stress, who me? No. Am I happy about it, not really. BUT worry never made anything better...


THEN I felt like a mess. All my awesome rides, great runs, and fabulous swims seemed to feel "off". OH MY GOSH, really now? Why now? Why so close to my race? Stress, no. Talked to coach, the work is done, he pulled the plug on a longish ride and gave me recovery fun day yesterday morning to de-stressorize and take a mini-mental break from thinking too hard on how my body is feeling, you know-not panic! That sent me to a "beach training day" with the paddler boys, nice. It was a run on the beach, an ocean swim, then paddle. Let me tell you, it was the most refreshing, rejuvenating workout in a very long time. The long runs and rides have had me loving largely, but it was awesome to mesh in with people I never train with and do a real beachy workout. Coach and his buddy Lance-fast-on-a-bike also landed there for ocean swim and paddle, it must have been the right thing if they landed there too. Finally I was feeling back to normal, happy and calm. BUT the crank thing was still lingering... The evening sent 5 of us families to the beach. This evening would roll into a sunset that would roll into a sunrise that is exactly 2wks out from race day. SO exciting. 2wks out is when I am most eager, too long drives me crazy and too close gets me goofy, ready now. The night was brilliantly painted with blue waters and orange sky. What a dream to land in such a spot, still so much in love with a sunset as ever...




Kainoas Beach house...



A night under a star filled sky left open plenty of moments to day dream, make wishes on stars, and just keep the focus positive despite the previous days of crank-disaster. You know keeping calm is a must when 140.6 miles are about to look you in the eyes and ask you to take them on. Other than a hug, a beach night was the only thing to chill me out.


Loving my friends and beyond thankful for them...



...and what girl doesn't love waking up with bed head overlooking the ocean? Feet in the sand is such a cool way to wake up, I highly recommend it if you need a little breathing room from all things life, love, sport. There was a bike ride to tackle on my plan so the morning had to get rolling...

It rolled into the ocean where belly flop contests, swimming, and lots of children played. Watching Kainoa have that much fun made it all so worth it, he really is a strength for me these days. Then it was time to pack up and roll out and tackle the bike. The bike was not that wonderful as it was missing my cranks and then a drunk driver road me off the road. Me and the bike stayed upright and all my lucky stars were shining as it made me get back my super happy attitude, funny how freak out like that can challenge you to just keep it all in perspective and drop the stuff that causes a mess. Ah, 2 more weeks till the big day, I'm feeling better for it, days like these happen...

Tomorrow some final middle distance run miles and a little biathlon for Kainoa, it's Sunday. Sundays are good days, right? Have a good Sunday!


Bree



3 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Francis said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that the cranks arrive and be fitted in time for Florida. Your sponsors want you to be able to ride their bike during the race with all of the right gear so you do them proud. I' sure they're are doing all they can to get the right cranks.

Do you think the crank would be more readily available in florida?

You know better than us that tapering can make us feel sluggish so yes beach camping with friends sounds like a dream and watching the stars/sunset/sunrise will fill you with energy and hope. Hang in there Bree

October 23, 2011 at 7:06 AM

 
Blogger Tejas Runner said...

Holy crap! A drunk driver! One of my worst fears honestly... The cranks shall come & you shall kick booty with said cranks in Florida! It's been amazing being able to follow your training. GOOD LUCK!!

October 24, 2011 at 5:58 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

Yikes. way to dodge a scary situation with the drunk driver - but I love the beach camping pictures! Beach camping is my favorite.

Can't wait to track you in FL! You'll rock it Bree.

October 24, 2011 at 4:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home